Engine Oil AeroShell vs Phillips66

Lukon

Getting ready to do another oil change. Wondering how people feel about AeroShell 100W vs Phillips66 100AW. I've always used AeroShell, but the Phillips66 is much cheaper, and they seem to be the same thing.  Also, where do you guys buy your oil and filters. I'm always looking to save a buck...

Edited by Lukon
(sp)

you can start a holy war with this sort of question...  Depends very much on the temperatures and usage you have in mind.  I know a pilot who ran aeroshell and was having issues with his engine.  cussed out one of Continental's major players about it (he's prone to cussing people out, but really did a job on this one).  Switched engine oil to Philips and the problem went away.

• Like 1

Just last week I switched from Shell 15w50 to Phillips 66 x/c 20w50 plus camguard. I did it mostly from the good things I hear about the Phillips/Camguard combination......oil analysis will tell the story.....I really had no problems with shell performance but always looking to improve...I fly about 100+ hours a year but I also go through on average about 6 times a year with no flying for almost 2 to 3 weeks.....plane based in a non air-conditioned Florida hangar.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, markgrue said:

The new phillips 20W50 does not require the camguard.  It is already in it.  with that said I use aeroshell 15w50 in every aircraft.  Never a problem with it.

Mark

Mark,

I don’t think that statement is correct. There is a new Phillips oil with the lycoming additive but it is not Camguard.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/generalaviationnews.com/2019/08/09/phillips-66-introduces-new-oil-pre-blended-with-lycoming-anti-wear-additive/amp/

Edited by ilovecornfields
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Mark,

I don’t think that statement is correct. There is a new Phillips oil with the lycoming additive but it is not Camguard.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/generalaviationnews.com/2019/08/09/phillips-66-introduces-new-oil-pre-blended-with-lycoming-anti-wear-additive/amp/

And to add to this, I think this should not be used in Continental engines, because the Lycoming additive (only really needed for one Lycoming engine, IIRC) will possibly cause starter slippage issues.

Aeroshell is semi-synthetic.  One big benefit of synthetic oil is a longer change interval.  Unfortunately, we can't take advantage of that because of the we use leaded fuel and the oil ends up very dirty.  So, it is not worth the extra cost for Aeroshell.

• Like 2

So, has anybody tried the new Phillips Victory AW 20W-50 with the Lycoming additive?  I assume that one would not add Cam Guard on top of this, is that correct?  I thought I read somewhere that CamGuard may have other benefits, but too much of a good thing could be a bad thing too....

On 12/7/2019 at 9:03 AM, takair said:

So, has anybody tried the new Phillips Victory AW 20W-50 with the Lycoming additive?  I assume that one would not add Cam Guard on top of this, is that correct?  I thought I read somewhere that CamGuard may have other benefits, but too much of a good thing could be a bad thing too....

I'm using it because I got it cheap at OSH.  I love it.  Aviation Consumer magazine found a lot of benefit to the Lycoming additive for reducing corrosion in their tests.  They found even more benefit to the additive plus Camguard or Avblend.

The Lycoming additive is the only additive actually recommended by an engine manufacturer for helping reduce camshaft and lifter scuffing/wear.  It is only required by AD for the O-320-H engines, but it's recommended for all.  That's good enough for me.  I also use Avblend in the summer and Camguard in the winter, but I'll admit I might be paranoid.

• Like 1

I run either the Phillips 100AW or the 20W-50 victory.  Of course being a Phillips 66 employee I have to support the home team.  However, I have been running Philips since I bought my first plane in 2010 and prior to me becoming a P66 employee. 

So no one asks we do not make the 100AW or 20W-50 here.  We don't even make avgas but we do make jet fuel.:D

I installed a factory rebuilt IO-360-A3B6 in my J a year ago October. After the first 5 hours, oil consumption on AS 100 stabilized at 8.5 hr/qt. At 40 hours I switched to AS W100. Up until we did the annual inspection last October, it was burning 8.5 hr/qt consistently. At the annual, I switched to X/C 20W-50. It's got ten hours on the oil and it's still down less than a quart. Too early to tell, but it looks like it burns less on Phillips.

Anyone else notice this?

Skip