Holy Cow, It's finally time for my new Panel !!

After a couple years my big day is finally here ! My sexy K model is in for her new panel update!  I've attached a pic of the then-common King Silver Stack. She served well in her day but now its time for a make over.  She's been at the avionics shop in Muskogee, OK for a week now and they're elbows deep in the panel. See pic 2.  ( I showed that pic to my wife and she said  "oh my lord, they've ruined our plane!  Can they ever get it back like it was?!)   LOL

I'm having the Avidyne IFD540 installed with their AMX240 Comm panel, and the remote APX322 Xpdr for ADS-B out.  May add IN later.  Also having a Garmin G5 added that I bought from a MS'er a little while back. They are adding a GMU 11 magnetometer for heading and the GAD 29B for Nav data interface to the -540.  A  RAMI AV-801 GPS/WAAS antenna will get the signal in and out.  The plan is to add in the  Aerocruise/BK AP in the spring or summer after/when  they get Mooney approval.

While it's apart, they're adding a JPI 830 with fuel flow integration where the old ADF head was so the panel position will be perfect.  They're removing the loran, KT 76A, KMA 24, com 1 and KNS 80 and associated CDI and  removing ADF and WX-7 stormscope. 

Heading over there next week to check out what's been done. More pics to follow!!

231PS Panel before udpate.jpg

New Panel pic 2.JPG

• Like 1

Are they going to interface your existing autopilot to the GAD29B? The GPSS is worth it.  I wouldn’t hold your breath about the aero cruize AP, however.  Probably won’t be out anytime soon based on the BK track record.  

See those Scat tubes? Do yourself a favor and have them replaced.  The inside core wire is likely corroded.  Soon little bits of rust will start blowing out of the panel.  

• Like 1

Brad,

I'm definitely no avionics electrical guy...and I only sounded like it form my description by what the tech told me. Ha   He did mention in an email about "interfacing the GAD29B" so I'm sure that's what he meant, but I will ask him for sure. Thanks! 

I'm going over there first of next week so I will check on the Scat tubes condition.  I've replaced all hoses and tubing on the engine firewall forward but didn't think about those. Outta sight, outta mind... But I will now for sure!

R

Depending on the budget and the plan for the autopilot...  Cost for a second G5 (installed) is going to be a small percent of your overall budget for this project.  If you're not set on the BK interface, the dual G5 setup has it's advantages including ease of installation (adding it when a single G5 HSI is already going in is only a few hrs), and redundancy.  That would allow you to move the AI to the TC position for redundant attitude.  That's probably more important than anything else in the panel for an IFR installation, IMO.  Another option would be 550 instead of 540 if the price is right since it has a build in backup AHRS.  At least with the G5 HSI you;ll have a second attitude source.  

What's going in the spot where the WX-7 is?  Thought about keeping it or is it non-fuctional? 

I did the dual G5's last year along with the JPI 900 and now as of today started the IFD 540 with APX 322 and PS Eng 450B.  I also have the rack for the Garmin GFC 500 AP being installed that way when it gets approved I can buy the system and not have to worry about panel work.  My center stack will hold from top to bottom:

GFC 500 (rack only for now)

PS Eng 450B

IFD 540

MX 170

1831879350_panelbefore.JPG.c85751b3d1d98eae11ac01d9a7f4123a.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 9:34 AM, TargetDriver said:

After a couple years my big day is finally here ! My sexy K model is in for her new panel update!  I've attached a pic of the then-common King Silver Stack. She served well in her day but now its time for a make over.  She's been at the avionics shop in Muskogee, OK for a week now and they're elbows deep in the panel. See pic 2.  ( I showed that pic to my wife and she said  "oh my lord, they've ruined our plane!  Can they ever get it back like it was?!)   LOL

I'm having the Avidyne IFD540 installed with their AMX240 Comm panel, and the remote APX322 Xpdr for ADS-B out.  May add IN later.  Also having a Garmin G5 added that I bought from a MS'er a little while back. They are adding a GMU 11 magnetometer for heading and the GAD 29B for Nav data interface to the -540.  A  RAMI AV-801 GPS/WAAS antenna will get the signal in and out.  The plan is to add in the  Aerocruise/BK AP in the spring or summer after/when  they get Mooney approval.

While it's apart, they're adding a JPI 830 with fuel flow integration where the old ADF head was so the panel position will be perfect.  They're removing the loran, KT 76A, KMA 24, com 1 and KNS 80 and associated CDI and  removing ADF and WX-7 stormscope. 

Heading over there next week to check out what's been done. More pics to follow!!

231PS Panel before udpate.jpg

New Panel pic 2.JPG

You might wanna take a look at the GFC500 AP I would guess a full install of a GFC500 wouldn't be that much more than just doing the Aerocruze upgrade. On another thread (don't remember which one) it was concluded that to upgrade from an old KFC to the 230, it would be somewhere around 16 to 17K and that was reusing your old servos, and didn't include the price of the KI300. a full GFC500 installed without YD would be 16K and with yaw damper 18.5 and that includes brand new everything including servos, and it's already STC'ed for your airplane. the KFC230 as of right now is just vaporware. and my guess is that it will be a couple years before its available for mooneys based off previous track records....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wcb said:

I did the dual G5's last year along with the JPI 900 and now as of today started the IFD 540 with APX 322 and PS Eng 450B.  I also have the rack for the Garmin GFC 500 AP being installed that way when it gets approved I can buy the system and not have to worry about panel work.  My center stack will hold from top to bottom:

PS Eng 450B

IFD 540

MX 170

I thought I would ask is there a different order from top to bottom you would do and why???

A few notes:

1. The KFC 230 AeroCruz is STC's and available for the K's today. At least that's what BK has told me. I had one ordered and then backed out because it won't interface with the Aspen, yet. But if you have the BK AI and HSI, the AeroCruz can be installed today. I also confirmed this with the Avionics shop and BK dealer here in Austin yesterday.

2. I say this all the time, so I'll say it again. Do your self a favor and install the EDM 900 instead of the 830. It's a few dollars more, but then you're done. With the 830, you'll be spending again to upgrade to the 900 when your factory gauges stop working. Do it once and be done with it.

3. I love Avidyne and have a lot of their stuff, but I wouldn't buy their audio panel. If you're installing a separate standalone audio panel, it has to be the PMA450b. Ask anyone who has one.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

A few notes:

1. The KFC 230 AeroCruz is STC's and available for the K's today. At least that's what BK has told me. I had one ordered and then backed out because it won't interface with the Aspen, yet. But if you have the BK AI and HSI, the AeroCruz can be installed today. I also confirmed this with the Avionics shop and BK dealer here in Austin yesterday.

2. I say this all the time, so I'll say it again. Do your self a favor and install the EDM 900 instead of the 830. It's a few dollars more, but then you're done. With the 830, you'll be spending again to upgrade to the 900 when your factory gauges stop working. Do it once and be done with it.

3. I love Avidyne and have a lot of their stuff, but I wouldn't buy their audio panel. If you're installing a separate standalone audio panel, it has to be the PMA450b. Ask anyone who has one.

Regarding the AeroCruz, thought you could save me an hour on the internet since your well versed.  What’s the modern solution if I install the 230 and my legacy AI and/or HSI quits?   Thanks in advance. 

4 hours ago, slowflyin said:

Regarding the AeroCruz, thought you could save me an hour on the internet since your well versed.  What’s the modern solution if I install the 230 and my legacy AI and/or HSI quits?   Thanks in advance. 

At the moment, the KFC325 or KFC310 would be your upgrade replacement option. Or you'd have to get your legacy KI256 and KI525 repaired.

The Aspens will likely be supported in the somewhat near future. Even if Aspen has to write the code for BK. They've done it before. But everything moves at a glacial pace with this stuff.

7 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

At the moment, the KFC325 or KFC310 would be your upgrade replacement option. Or you'd have to get your legacy KI256 and KI525 repaired.

The Aspens will likely be supported in the somewhat near future. Even if Aspen has to write the code for BK. They've done it before. But everything moves at a glacial pace with this stuff.

Thanks!

On 12/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, gsxrpilot said:

A few notes:

To chime in with Paul:

1. Yup, waiting for my KAP 150 to go Tango Uniform and Aspen to get the I/F completed. Patiently waiting...not.
  2. Been there, and now doing it. Would have saved money and time to upgrade from my EDM 800 to the 900, but went the 830 route. Now, I have the 900 I bought from @Jeev at an awesome price and am waiting for this spring's annual to install.
  3. If you do not want the 450B, the Avidyne audio panel will be fine - it is a re-badged PS Engineering unit (PMA 8000B, if memory serves). You are just paying the markup to have the faceplate changed, but for a little more, you can get the 450B which is probably the best panel currently on the market.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, bradp said:

Depending on the budget and the plan for the autopilot...  Cost for a second G5 (installed) is going to be a small percent of your overall budget for this project.  If you're not set on the BK interface, the dual G5 setup has it's advantages including ease of installation (adding it when a single G5 HSI is already going in is only a few hrs), and redundancy.  That would allow you to move the AI to the TC position for redundant attitude.  That's probably more important than anything else in the panel for an IFR installation, IMO.  Another option would be 550 instead of 540 if the price is right since it has a build in backup AHRS.  At least with the G5 HSI you;ll have a second attitude source.  

What's going in the spot where the WX-7 is?  Thought about keeping it or is it non-fuctional? 

The budget is pretty much fixed at this point so I'll have to stick with whats being done for now.  The BK is a want for sure, but yea a second G5 would be the logical next good move.   The WX-7 was actually mounted below the right panel but it's been removed completely.  The big empty area on the right panel will be filled with a nice cover plate for now.  I went to the plane the other day and most everything was installed  except for the cover plates.  I wish I had actually measured the large opening... Now I'm wondering if I can get a ipad mini panel mount in there and blue tooth one from my -540 for wx and ads-b.

3 hours ago, tmo said:

When thinking about the iPad panel mount do remember about the IFD100 app for iPad that links to your IFD...

Yea I seen that I can load the -100 app. That will be nice to have and thought I could run it on the panel mounted ipad ( I have a spare one)  and then could still use my Foreflight ipad mini in my yoke.  (I may eventually do away with the yoke ipad but I'd feel naked flying without it now)  

I still have to get up to speed on what can go where and I can do with the -540.

Getting closer... but I can already tell that I'm not going to like the protruded displays.   With all the bookings backed up for ADS-B installs (and these guys do full displays in big stuff too!) they didnt have time to do the cut-outs and mounts for flush mounting. I told them that I'd do it myself later and fly it back to them to check out. I was reading a nice post about a MS member doing some very nice flush mounts. I'll get in touch with him  for the G5 and possibly the -830 too.

Going to have him leave the dash cover off or loose so I can refurb and  reupholster (sp? ha)  and install myself too.

In progress....jpg

4 minutes ago, TargetDriver said:

Getting closer... but I can already tell that I'm not going to like the protruded displays.   With all the bookings backed up for ADS-B installs (and these guys do full displays in big stuff too!) they didnt have time to do the cut-outs and mounts for flush mounting. I told them that I'd do it myself later and fly it back to them to check out. I was reading a nice post about a MS member doing some very nice flush mounts. I'll get in touch with him  for the G5 and possibly the -830 too.

Going to have him leave the dash cover off or loose so I can refurb and  reupholster (sp? ha)  and install myself too.

In progress....jpg

You should keep the No Smoking sign for nostalgia sake

• Like 1

267133696_Inprogress....thumb.jpg.25369a70c6e2966dceef89540b49ae86.jpg

Hey! Great progress. I agree with you on the protruded displays. I HATED my Aspens being stuck forward. I am sure now that you made this investment, you will be back for other upgrades. Just include these changes in your next upgrade. That’s what I did. Becomes a bit more expensive, but at least you can work towards their timeline.

c0f8341ee1fc68293654c2d753693248.jpg

e25a7e952d512e0ce1c04f36bef31458.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TargetDriver said:

Unless you really enjoy doing something like this - and your glare shield is in relatively good condition - you might consider Hector at Aero Comfort in San Antonio. I may have lost my CB membership, but the work he did on my glare shield was worth at least what I paid for it considering what he had to work from.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 5:08 PM, wcb said:

PS Eng 450B

IFD 540

MX 170

I am so BUMMED if you see the upside down Y brace that I do not see on @TargetDriver pictures.  My order of equipment does not fit.  That Y brace is in the way even with the 170 all the way at the bottom.  My only two solutions get are to rid of the 170 and replace with a thinner NAV/COM $$$$$ or move it to the next shelf.  I was really wanting to keep it clean with everything in one shelf but I also do not want to spend the money on a new NAV/COM.

1 hour ago, wcb said:

I am so BUMMED if you see the upside down Y brace that I do not see on @TargetDriver pictures.  My order of equipment does not fit.  That Y brace is in the way even with the 170 all the way at the bottom.  My only two solutions get are to rid of the 170 and replace with a thinner NAV/COM $$$$$ or move it to the next shelf.  I was really wanting to keep it clean with everything in one shelf but I also do not want to spend the money on a new NAV/COM.

I’d personally rather have a new quality com vs an old nav/com. My money would be spent on a par200b instead of the 450.