Landing gear and phenolic block lubricant

Good morning, 

Been lurking for a while, finally got my plane into a hangar and starting to resurrect my 1964 m20e, 

What is the final word on landing gear grease type and control  tube phenolic block lubricant?

Do I need to mix anything into the grease?

How many grease fittings on the gear?

Plane is located in chicago suburbs, so hot and cold climate.

Thanks!

Glenn

1964 m20e

20191201_135604.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

There are 8 zerks on each main gear, and 11 zerks on the nose. I find and clean all of them on one leg before greasing any, and count them off as I grease. Always start at the top with the grease gun!  ;)

What grease do you use for the gear?

I keep #22 in a grease gun. My A&P has prop grease, it's either #5 or #6--there should be a sticker on your hub. For God's sake, don't mix them up! If I remember, #22 is pretty universal, I think that's also what I put in the trim jack screw.

I use (per service manual)

Aeroshell 22 for zerks

Aeroshell 7 for the guide blocks and trim screws

Lubriplate 630AA for the gear ball screw

Mobil SHC 100 for the wheel bearings

Tri-flow for the rod ends

Any light mineral oil such as 3-in-1 for the control surface and other bearings.

Clean out all old grease if you are not sure what was used before since some are not compatible with each other.

Skip

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

I use (per service manual)

Aeroshell 22 for zerks

Aeroshell 7 for the guide blocks and trim screws

Lubriplate 630AA for the gear ball screw

Mobil SHC 100 for the wheel bearings

Tri-flow for the rod ends

Any light mineral oil such as 3-in-1 for the control surface and other bearings.

Clean out all old grease if you are not sure what was used before since some are not compatible with each other.

Skip

Thanks

2 hours ago, Hradec said:

Thanks

I highly recommend pulling the phenolic blocks that hold the trim torque tubes and cleaning them out really well and checking tubes for wear according to the SB.   Dirt, sand, grit mixes with lubricant and hardens over the years, which acts as sand paper and just wears through your tubes.  Replace with the antichaffe tape per the SB.   Be very careful in that area.  Those tubes are $400 if factory is open and near unobtainable if closed.  

• Like 1

Black PVC Grease gun tree, growing to the sky...

While learning about the various updates also learn about how some grease, when it ages turns into rocks... and look at the grease left on any flight controls, trim, and related gearboxes...

:)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

-a-

AA77E4EF-E24C-4F93-BE46-4FC4C5D36C7A.jpeg