Lee side rockin’ but worth the trip...

Want to give a quick shout out to AGL Aviation in Morganton, NC. Based on comments posted here, I flew my ‘76 Ranger down and back to them yesterday for rigging issues. I can easily add my recommendation and positive experience to the list. Lynn had my Mooney flying straight by lunchtime and I enjoyed meeting him and his family as well as the kind folks at the Foothills Airport. I definitely hope to bring the plane back to him next year for “goodies” as funds allow.

Flew to AGL from Columbus, Ohio. 200+ ground speeds and smooth air at 9.5k. Wow, descent between 6.5 and 1.5k on the lee side of the hills was about the worst turbulence in a small plane I have ever experienced as I went through the rotors. Coming back, I climbed first to cruise before heading back over the hills. I won’t post return ground speeds. Suffice to say, it took a little longer. 

Thanks again to Lynn for the help. And there are surprisingly good coffee shops in the town of Morganton.

• Like 3

You gotta watch the winds over the  mountains, and be mindful of frequent turbulence caused by nearby Mt. Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi.

Other than that, W. Carolina is a nice place! Or has a lot of nice places! [whichever suits best]