Next avionics project

bradp

Hi all,

Just completed the next step in my avionics project.  The plane is going in to a shop in February for an autopilot upgrade.  I needed to make room for the mode control panel.   I also had a KX-170B on it's last legs.  I kept on throwing 0.5 AMU at it here and there and it became less than a smart long-term solution.  So here's what I did:

- Installed GNC 255A and GI-106A / new harnesses / interfaced with GNS 430W for nearest / database functions

- Installed GAD 13 / C307PS OAT

- Moved GAD29B from panel to avionics shelf

- Moved GNS430W up from existing position

- Moved Aera 660 down from existing position

- Repurposed GAD 29B bracket for FS-210, fabricated new temporary bracket for vacuum gauge

- Installed GDL 52R, hard-wired to audio panel and Aera 660. 

- Removed existing RG-58; installed RG-400, new splitter and diplexer shelf

- Pre-wired power / can / trim /GA / audio for autopilot.

- Removed orphan wires / fixed existing wire routing / labeling issues at 430

- Removed GDL 69

- Removed KX-170B / KI-209 / GS receiver.

Sum total the project was about 100 hrs, a labor of love of course.   I'll post some pics of the work in progress if anyone is interested.   So far the only squawk is I need to get a remote glareshield antenna for the 660 because it’s now shielded from a sky view by the 430 above it.  I am happy to answer any questions anyone has / provide help as I can.  

-Brad

761320DA-3471-455C-8D8E-C2C335196271.jpeg

26EBA19F-7460-4CFF-8BB8-FBD4FAFC4DAB.jpeg

18C27E7B-232E-4F95-9881-9ECF4E5DB76B.jpeg

AB58DD24-F737-4363-80E7-F0361FB1E0EB.jpeg

• Like 5

I had the GI-106A removed from my G5 HSI project and sitting on a shelf.  I like the flags / needles a little better. It’s 15 years old instead of 40.  I had the milspec pins for the connector - didn’t have the king pins them for the 209. That’s why I changed it back.  I don’t like that the GI-106A has a little Nav annunciator bulb constantly on.  It’s already labeled as Nav 2 - I find the little light redundant and useless / too bright. . 

I did pre wire airinc from the GNC 255 to the GAD29B.  Although it’s not active (Garmin says you can’t have two nav sources presented on a G5 HSI for a non-garmin autopilot), I will say that 1) you can have two sources presented on the G5 HSI and 2) the presence of the GI-106a or other CDI does not interfere with presentation of Nav2/LOC2 on the G5.  The Course selection / OBS feature just does not sync between the G5 hsi and the GI-106.  I was wondering about this and it does, in fact, work. You can also present an RMI rose for VOR/LOC2 akin to heavy iron or a Sandel unit. 

Hi all,
Just completed the next step in my avionics project.  The plane is going in to a shop in February for an autopilot upgrade.  I needed to make room for the mode control panel.   I also had a KX-170B on it's last legs.  I kept on throwing 0.5 AMU at it here and there and it became less than a smart long-term solution.  So here's what I did:
- Installed GNC 255A and GI-106A / new harnesses / interfaced with GNS 430W for nearest / database functions
- Installed GAD 13 / C307PS OAT
- Moved GAD29B from panel to avionics shelf
- Moved GNS430W up from existing position
- Moved Aera 660 down from existing position
- Repurposed GAD 29B bracket for FS-210, fabricated new temporary bracket for vacuum gauge
- Installed GDL 52R, hard-wired to audio panel and Aera 660. 
- Removed existing RG-58; installed RG-400, new splitter and diplexer shelf
- Pre-wired power / can / trim /GA / audio for autopilot.
- Removed orphan wires / fixed existing wire routing / labeling issues at 430
- Removed GDL 69
- Removed KX-170B / KI-209 / GS receiver.

Sum total the project was about 100 hrs, a labor of love of course.   I'll post some pics of the work in progress if anyone is interested.   So far the only squawk is I need to get a remote glareshield antenna for the 660 because it’s now shielded from a sky view by the 430 above it.  I am happy to answer any questions anyone has / provide help as I can.  
-Brad

761320DA-3471-455C-8D8E-C2C335196271.thumb.jpeg.e791cc2fa24ea8d6ba08b3acf2c9158f.jpeg
26EBA19F-7460-4CFF-8BB8-FBD4FAFC4DAB.thumb.jpeg.bcf5f0257238c29576a437b5ee006967.jpeg
18C27E7B-232E-4F95-9881-9ECF4E5DB76B.thumb.jpeg.7120c4dda57832fe9175d16a7a05f5dd.jpeg
AB58DD24-F737-4363-80E7-F0361FB1E0EB.thumb.jpeg.cb4867ddd535b09abce790fafbb836a4.jpeg

Brad - I think it is time you consider a career change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Jim Peace said:

I noticed on this 172 for sale that there is no original VSI....did they do away with the requirement to keep it or was it not ever there?  Mine was kept and I really could use the panel space without it....

Item 2 in the Limitations and Conditions of the G5 STC "requires the retention of the mechanical airspeed indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator."   This is also discussed in the manuals, but there've been a few installations that haven't adhered to it (obviously).

I don’t mind it there at all.  If it could fit in the center stack Id prefer it up there. I understand it’s an unconventional placement for the modern birds, especially with the longer panels or those with the center hump.  This was OEM placement in 1977.   It’s not like it is exactly out of reach.   I am very used to it being in the right 

9 minutes ago, David_H said:

@bradp How do you like the audio panel placement on the right sid

JIM,

Since the VSI is a required instrument....

and the pics you have seen don’t seem to have one...

Expect to look closer at the digital AI...

If it has an air data computer... it probably has a tiny indicator above and below the AS data...

As Marauder pointed out, the Aspen has taken an interesting approach with how to present the VSI... graphically...

They just aren’t very obvious when the VS is near zero in cruise pics...

PP thoughts only, not an instruments guy...

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

JIM,

Since the VSI is a required instrument....

and the pics you have seen don’t seem to have one...

Expect to look closer at the digital AI...

If it has an air data computer... it probably has a tiny indicator above and below the AS data...

As Marauder pointed out, the Aspen has taken an interesting approach with how to present the VSI... graphically...

They just aren’t very obvious when the VS is near zero in cruise pics...

PP thoughts only, not an instruments guy...

Best regards,

-a-

Here is a picture of the Aspen VSI. It disappears when there is no vertical movement. When it does appear, it shows the VS both numerically and visually on the right side of the HSI.

1793609749_AspenVSI.thumb.jpg.7043746d084b2757a7b59d93630f934b.jpg

• Like 2