First post: Falcon can't find me an underwriter!

8 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

Now I've learned some new things that are in my way of reaching my goal (in a hurry) and I'm going to have to slow down...

Why slow down? Your scenario resonated with me on a number of levels, with one difference, I had a PPL ticket.

That really is the key and you should just focus on it. I got mine in 1986 with a CFI at Sanford Airport (now Orlando Sanford International) on a piecemeal basis. I went to a weekend bootcamp to get the exam out of the way. After I got my ticket I took my wife up (in a 172) and she said never again. 30 years later she still won't get in a small aircraft with me, even my Mooney. I took my 5 year old daughter up and she fell asleep during the landing.  I digress.

After that I did no flying (while I concentrated on getting tenure) for the next 20-something years. Then I decided I wanted a Mooney. I went and got a fresh medical, hired a local CFI and got "current", then I bought The Mistress. Astonishingly easy--the key is having the ticket because once you do, you have it forever unless you do something colossally stupid.

So, my advice is to get your ticket--there's a reason it's called a 'ticket'. It will take you anywhere and everywhere you want to go in aviation.

Lastly, if you train in a Cessna or a Piper, when you do 'graduate' to a Mooney it will be like learning to drive in a VW bug and then being handed the keys to a 911.

Wait until you get to the training part...

1) you will love Performing check lists...

2) you will love reviewing yourself before each flight... IMSAFE...

3) you will love checking all the parts of the plane before using it...

What..? You guys don’t just jump in your plane and go...?

Nukem,

I get that you are helping out your family member...

And your focus is starting to show up in the right direction...

Keep both eyes open...

while doing the right thing for family...

doing it the wrong way won’t be helpful for you or them...

An airplane can be the equivalent of a lethal weapon...

All the training that your family has... won’t instill any value to you genetically...

Go start your training... see how easy it is for you...

Of all the 60 steps or so on your way to the PPL... a couple are going to be hard for you...

If you can’t find a challenge in any of those steps... you have witnessed a miracle... :)

The sign at the gym you go to...

“it’s not what you start that counts... it’s what you finish...”

The flight school will have a sign too...

”leave your attitude at the door... your not Maverick...“

If you run your own business... you have hired people smarter than you for a reason...

believe it or not...   

1) MS wants you to be successful...

2) MS Has seen many newbie pilot wannabes come through the entryway...

3) MS has seen many pilots get to their goals...

4) MS has witnessed many people rushing to get to their goal... all it takes is time and money

5) Unfortunately MS has witnessed people taking short cuts... at all levels... refuse shortcuts...

6) MS has seen plenty of people that thought buying a plane was the logical way to start... that’s kinda like buying a pool to learn how to swim... economically less sensible, than taking swimming lessons at the Y...

7) MS is trying to point out... having a Mooney can be a small financial and time burden... it is not the focus of this thread... your finances and time are up to you... you already know how to avoid a financial disaster...

8) MS is trying to get you aligned with avoiding rushing into Physical disaster...

9) Like your insurance broker... we point out how people can do better for themselves...

10) We have sat through the trying times when a college educated pilot had an accident... as in he went to a flying college to be trained in aviation... he didn’t make it to graduation...

Learn as much as you can...

Flying is exponential...

Cross-country travel is great with a Mooney...

Go complete some steps! :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:
  • I decided based on our conversation above that I should train first in a trainer and slow down on getting the Mooney up here.  Seems the only way to do this in my town is at the local flight school in their planes and with their instructors.  Not so easy to do with my CFI friend as there are no planes to rent for this purpose.  So that part of my plan is maybe foiled.

Is there a flight club locally that you can buy into?  Most of them are good with students, and a couple ones locally here actually charge students less for the buy-in fee.  And your CFI friend won't need to pay for 100 hour inspections...

1 hour ago, chriscalandro said:

I guess I assumed an impulse purchase of an airplane meant that wasn't much of an issue. 

Doesn't sound like it. OP hasn't made mention of it. I just know it's always the elephant in the room when I'm talking to my wife about upgrades...

I think your excitement about gettIng your PPL is great and helping your family this way also commendable. If you decide to do your flight training in the Mooney and if you are able to resolve the insurance issues i would strongly recommend a CFI that has Mooney experience as opposed to your friend. Doesn't matter if he is a good pilot and instructor what he can't be is well versed in instructing how to fly a Mooney. I know they aren't the most challenging to fly but they do have certain requirements like all types do and you would be doing yourself a disservice by not using a CFI that can teach you rather than learn at the same time. I'm sure your friend would understand and respect that. Mostly be patient as there are many steps on this path and they are all important and worth the effort