Switch Will Not Stay On

AH-1 Cobra Pilot

Lately, my landing light switch will not stay in the ON position.  It seems to stay ON for my initial taxi, but once the engine RPM comes up, it turns off.  (Vibration?  Electrical load?)  I can hold it ON, but it will not stay ON.  Is there a way to fix it, or must I replace it?

1 hour ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

Lately, my landing light switch will not stay in the ON position.  It seems to stay ON for my initial taxi, but once the engine RPM comes up, it turns off.  (Vibration?  Electrical load?)  I can hold it ON, but it will not stay ON.  Is there a way to fix it, or must I replace it?

You likely have a circuit breaker switch that degraded over time. If you reach behind the panel, it is likely quite warm before it trips. They are unfortunately quite expensive. Sometimes you get lucky with a salvage one. I have also had some luck soaking it in electrical contact cleaner and exercising it (power off!!).  Oh, be sure you don’t have a real short circuit downstream first. 

+1 on the CB switch wear... who would know a CB would suffer from mechanical wear..?

My M20C landing light kept turning off on me...

It also got bumped by the floppy instrument panel that was lacking the proper support hardware...

New CB/switch and rubber hardware from AS fixed the problem...

Best regards,

-a-

A C/B protects your airplane from an electrical fire. You should not reset a C/B more than once and even then only if it is an urgent need. After one reset and trip leave it alone until the circuit is repaired. Never reset a fuel system C/B trip. Most airlines do not allow their crews to reset C/Bs unless a greater emergency exists. In fact many newer designs, the C/B are not available for crew access. You should not be constantly resetting this circuit, until the cause is investigated and repaired.

All J's whose wiring diagrams I can read also use the switch. The only difference is early models it's a switch-breaker at 20 or 25A. Later models with wing lights use 2 breakers in the main breaker panel one for landing and one for taxi and a pair of split(not-breaker)switches so you can use left or right sides alone.

Even with all electrical power off, the switch would not stay ON.  I removed the switch cover to find the spring misapplied and the hinge pin on the other side missing, putting more tension on the spring.  I replaced the pin and reset the spring, and all is now fine.

I suspect the pin worked its way out gradually, causing the rest of the malfunction.

• Like 3