repair interior panels - screws don't bite

NicoN

We have some screws on our interior panel which do not "bite" anymore.

Especially on LH side where the lower panel and the upper part (below the windows) meet, some screws are only fro decoration. The panels are obviously only more or less fixed to each other but not on the structure.

Does somebody have an idea how to repair those worn screw holes? I have to remove the left side and the situation will not improve, I suppose.

It is possible to tap threads into a washer with the appropriate sized inside diameter hole and a reasonable thickness.   Put washer in a vice and tap.   Test fit machine screw.    Roughen inside plastic wall and washer to epoxy together.   Put aluminum tape or gorilla tape over back to further secure washer to plastic.  

Edited by Browncbr1

They are either sheet metal screws that hold in tabs or they used to have tinnermans.  A dab of RTV, align with an awl and let to set can be enough to get some grip for the sheet metal screws.  Else you’re going to need to upsize the sheet metal screws. 

We have some screws on our interior panel which do not "bite" anymore.
Especially on LH side where the lower panel and the upper part (below the windows) meet, some screws are only fro decoration. The panels are obviously only more or less fixed to each other but not on the structure.
Does somebody have an idea how to repair those worn screw holes? I have to remove the left side and the situation will not improve, I suppose.

When Bruce Jaeger redid my interior side panels with his panels, I was a bit skeptical about the loop and hook fasteners he used. They are actually pretty stout and from what Bruce told me, it is a method air carrier manufacturers use to attach interior panels. No screws!

ca18fb515d03f8f4225ee1aee7813931.jpgd6d1d688f27a5b50d2100961dd86570b.jpg

Let me know if you are interested in a picture of the stuff he used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

When Bruce Jaeger redid my interior side panels with his panels, I was a bit skeptical about the loop and hook fasteners he used. They are actually pretty stout and from what Bruce told me, it is a method air carrier manufacturers use to attach interior panels. No screws!

Let me know if you are interested in a picture of the stuff he used.

Of course we want to see the actual staff!!  

Does "loop and hook fasteners" = "Industrial grade Velcro?  I have seen variable of velcro that is strong that if the adhesive isn't apply correctly, adhesive will fail before the two sides of velcro come apart.  The challenges of using Velcro in automative or aircraft installation is always making sure the adhesive doesn't fail after the normal heating and cooling cycle.  

Does "loop and hook fasteners" = "Industrial grade Velcro?  I have seen variable of velcro that is strong that if the adhesive isn't apply correctly, adhesive will fail before the two sides of velcro come apart.  The challenges of using Velcro in automative or aircraft installation is always making sure the adhesive doesn't fail after the normal heating and cooling cycle.  

I’ll post a picture the next time I go to the airport. It’s more robust than industrial Velcro. It’s fairly rigid. He uses a special 3M double sided adhesive strip and tie wraps as a second attachment mechanism. It doesn’t grab by simply placing the two pieces together. You actually need to tap it in order for it to stick.

I used dual lock to attach my interior "decorative" panels to the royalite sidewalls.  Its great starting out but if you take the panels on and off a few times the dual lock loses it's "grip".  There's a published number of on / off cycles you can do with it.

The interior screws are typically #4 sheet metal screws with trim washers. You can use a #6 screw and still use the #4 trim washer. It looks a little different but not objectionable if it’s only a few screws. 
You can also make a shim out of some bare copper wire like 20-22awg.  Cut pieces about 1” long and fold them tightly in half using pliers. Then insert one side inside the hole leaving the other half outside. This effectively reduced the hole so the #4 will have something to bite into. There are some professional products out there made out of stainless that will do the same thing if you want to go that route. 
Other methods like converting to machine screws by using nutserts or 3M Dual Lock for a no screw look are also other methods. 

Edited by CaptRJM

I forgot I made a video of it. Bruce used tie wraps around the entire piece for additional security on the roll cage.

Chris - did he adhere the dual locks to a piece of abs plastic there?

Also looks like those are the most heavy duty dual locks.  I originally used the less heavy duty ones which are now falling off.  I think I'm willing to give it a go with the heavier ones.

Chris - did he adhere the dual locks to a piece of abs plastic there?
Also looks like those are the most heavy duty dual locks.  I originally used the less heavy duty ones which are now falling off.  I think I'm willing to give it a go with the heavier ones.

Yes, the dual lock was mounted on the white piece and the white piece had the 3M mounted to it. He then used a tie wrap around the whole thing for additional security.

I will look to see if there is any marking on the stuff.

Took a couple of more photos. The double sided tape is a 3M product. Nothing identifiable but I know they sell a Extreme Mounting double sided but it only comes in 1” width. The stuff Bruce used is 1/2” in width. Suspect it is the automobile molding stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-3614-15/dp/B002JOVUO0/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=3m+dual+sided+tape&qid=1576506329&sprefix=3M+dual+side&sr=8-5

As for the white backing material. Not quite sure but it looks a lot like the material Bruce uses for his Spatial Design’s panel.

0cedc87ed1dca73f8911d37f820c18d1.jpgaa0655b228ff7cb384e488c14c50384f.jpg8f44a7dce8fbd0e880125d542bf6cc15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks 1