What's wrong with this picture?

Hi ya'll,

Out of curiosity tonight I was exploring a TFR that is coming into effect soon near San Angelo, TX.   I pulled up Google maps to see what's there.   Recent photo taken by satellite of Goodfellow Air Force base in San Angelo, TX,   attached.  I see an F-14 at an Air Force base... Wha?  They were all retired by the US in 2006 or so.    For an Air Force base, Goodfellow seems to be pretty short on runways.   How did that and those two C-130's get in there?   Why are they there?   How are they going to take off?   JATO bottles???

Also, there seems to be a tanker trailer lying on its side.   Huh?   Anybody have any idea (1) why is there a TFR in effect this week near San Angelo, Texas, from  3,500 to 18,000 ft.   Why is there an F-14 on an Air Force Base in 2019???    Why would a tanker be lying on its side?   My brain hurts.   Genius of MS, please help me out.  

It looks like they do a lot of training there for firefighting.   Are all these things sacrifices for the gods of fire training?   Anybody know? 

Link to view on google maps:

Thanks.

whats_wrong.png

The base ceased flying in 1975. 

Its possible the F14 has been there for a long time.

The base is a major training center for military fire fighters for the Navy, Marines and Air Force. That might explain the tanker on its side. They practice dealing with an overturned tank truck.

• Like 1

A "weird stuff seen at airports" thread would be pretty epic.   Doesn't even have to be Google maps, just random stuff people see at airports.   I see tons of stuff that is just totally unexpected, so I'm betting the MS hivemind would have a lot of interesting input.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

No way to know if the image is old or new. 

According to google maps, the image is (C) 2019 CNES Airbus/Maxar Technologies.  When I look at other parts of the world, the date changes, so I think they are trying to give attribution to the image provider and accurate date.   Sure, they are probably wrong sometimes.  My house shows an image from last winter, which is also stamped (C) 2019.