ATP written test prep

RobertGary1

I got my ATP several years ago as a challenge to myself to become a better pilot and learn to fly more like a pro.  Although I am tempted at times,  I doubt I will actually make a career change.  Kudos to those who do though. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HXG said:

I got my ATP several years ago as a challenge to myself to become a better pilot and learn to fly more like a pro.  Although I am tempted at times,  I doubt I will actually make a career change.  Kudos to those who do though. 

Always need something more to do. I already did a type rating. Maybe do my mei first though. I somehow skipped that. 

-Robert 

+4 on sheppard air. Plan on studying Sunday through Thursday and taking your test on Friday. The first four nights are going through the modules and the fifth night is  taking the practice test/s. You’ll be plenty ready by Friday. Follow their instructions and you can’t go wrong. Money back guarantee if you don’t get a 90%. 70 is passing if I remember right.

I did ATP's program where they put you in a room all day and you just look at the correct answers to the questions.  Then they administer the test.  It was about $400 at the time.

I was nervous, but it worked and I passed.

Then I got my ATP in a Piper Seminole at ATP.  What a dog with an engine out in hot weather...

2 hours ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

I did ATP's program where they put you in a room all day and you just look at the correct answers to the questions.  Then they administer the test.  It was about $400 at the time.

I was nervous, but it worked and I passed.

Then I got my ATP in a Piper Seminole at ATP.  What a dog with an engine out in hot weather...

Was that back when the FAA published the questions? I took all my pilot and instructor ratings under that system. But no more. 

-Robert 

• Sad 1

I did Shepard Air, then spent a morning with a CFI at American Flyers that had taken the ATP written the week before. I took the exam that afternoon and scored above 90%. This was a number of years ago, before they changed the multi-ATP requirements.

Edited by KLRDMD

Does this still apply for taking the test?

(e) After July 31, 2014, for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating or an airline transport pilot certificate obtained concurrently with an airplane type rating, receive a graduation certificate from an authorized training provider certifying completion of the airline transport pilot certification training program specified in § 61.156 before applying for the knowledge test required by paragraph (g) of this section;

3 hours ago, cliffy said:

Does this still apply for taking the test?

(e) After July 31, 2014, for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating or an airline transport pilot certificate obtained concurrently with an airplane type rating, receive a graduation certificate from an authorized training provider certifying completion of the airline transport pilot certification training program specified in § 61.156 before applying for the knowledge test required by paragraph (g) of this section;

Doesn't apply to SE.

If you want to do ATP ME employers pay for the CTS and the ATP. Its an employees market so long as you have the magic 1500 TT.

-Robert

23 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Any suggestions for ATP written test prep?  ASA, Gleim, ??? King seems unreasonably expensive for a fairly straight forward test.

-Robert

I did the Gleim.  Took no formal class.  Book only at the time.  Got a 97 on the test, but studied for a solid month before I took the test.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

I went to one of those things where you sit at a computer and cram for a couple days. Passed with a 92 or something. Then my written expired so I’ll have to do sim time if I want my ATP now. 

I did this as well.  All ATPs is the place to go.  Sat down in front of a computer at 8am and walked out with a 90 something pass at 5pm.  They give you two days but allow you to take the test when you’re ready.  Without question the most efficient way to pass an FAA written exam.  

On 12/4/2019 at 6:19 PM, donkaye said:

I did the Gleim.  Took no formal class.  Book only at the time.  Got a 97 on the test, but studied for a solid month before I took the test.

Same here, but used their online question bank and went through it every night for a couple weeks.  98 on the score.  Lee

41 minutes ago, laytonl said:

Same here, but used their online question bank and went through it every night for a couple weeks.  98 on the score.  Lee

I did it in June of 1995.  At the time they didn't have a computer course with online questions.  One of the things I like about Gleim is that they give you the reasons for the wrong answers in addition to the reasons for the right ones.   There were over 1500 questions in the bank at the time and I went over every one of them many times.