Mooney windshield parts

milotron

Hi, I was going to replace my windshield in January and AME felt I would need the trim piece below it replaced as it would not come out intact. I suppose this can only come from the factory or is there a risk-free way to remove this without destroying it?

I don't want to get into a position with the plane apart and a key part now becoming impossible to acquire. I know this can always occur, but would hate to do it intentional with this elective surgery.

Thanks,

28 minutes ago, milotron said:

Hi, I was going to replace my windshield in January and AME felt I would need the trim piece below it replaced as it would not come out intact. I suppose this can only come from the factory or is there a risk-free way to remove this without destroying it?

I don't want to get into a position with the plane apart and a key part now becoming impossible to acquire. I know this can always occur, but would hate to do it intentional with this elective surgery.

Thanks,

Which piece are you talking about? When you said "below" are you speaking about the piece forward of the glareshield? Or the piece at the top of the windshield?

You might contact Lasar at Lakport, Ca. I assume you are talking about the trim piece at the bottom of the windshield on the outside. They sell the windshield kit to retrofit the 201 windshield to legacy models and the kit includes this part. 

While waiting for a real answer...

Expect the cherry max to look like a two part rivet... where a steel pin is at the center...

Drilling out the steel pin makes it challenging...

http://www.cherryaerospace.com/product/cherrymax

They get used because... They can be put in place where normal rivets don’t have enough room for the tools...

PP thoughts only, trying to describe something I’m not really familiar with...

Best regards,

-a-

27 minutes ago, milotron said:

What does a Cherry max rivet look like installed?

It's a pop rivet with a hard metal locking collar in the head that holds the stem.  So the head will have a stem in the middle that should be discernible even under paint...probably.  ;)

The round-head ones are not too tough to remove, but the flush ones are quite a bit harder to get out.   It can be done, though...probably.  ;)

http://www.cherryaerospace.com/product/video/rivetremoval

• Like 1

I’ve done this on many different airplanes.

Once the rivets are removed, buy small diameter guitar steel string, and some dowel.  drill holes in 2 pieces of dowel to make handles leaving about 2’ of wire between, work the trailing edge of the fairing up until you can slip the wire in.  Have a helper hold the fairing up while the wire is pulled through the sealant with a sawing action.

Work carefully the part many not be readily available.

Clarence

15 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Not true, my AP just did mine, I guess it depends on how careful they are.

Tom

Were they universal head or flush? Ive never been able to remove more than two or three flush head Cherrymax rivets without it turning to crap. The drill walks off the steel stem and you end up destroying the top piece of metal to get the rivet removed. Universal head are easy, grind the head off

• Like 1

Were they universal head or flush? Ive never been able to remove more than two or three flush head Cherrymax rivets without it turning to crap. The drill walks off the steel stem and you end up destroying the top piece of metal to get the rivet removed. Universal head are easy, grind the head off

I believe universal, because we discussed this, he said he could grind them off, the steel pin was plainly visible. I’m no rivet expert.
BTW, they were able to use regular rivets on the top by removing the glare shield and could get behind it when they replaced it.

Tom
  • Like 1

Factory install is a flush rivet. those are cleaner looking but much harder to remove. Im not sure how well a universal head rivet is held into a dimpled hole. But anyways, im pretty sure you will wreck the retainer strip removing flush Cherrymax rivets.

• Like 1

If you can get your hands on a high speed dental drill like an old Midwest ,connect it to your air compressor and run it at 60 psi.Standard carbide 557 drills will go thru the center of a flush rivet cherry max like butter with no walk.Figure on 5 min per rivet...eBay it...

• Like 1