Acclaim EGE to HPN

Davidv

That's weird because Flightaware shows him filing IFR.  However, maybe he canceled at some point in the air when they tried to give him a route that would extend his trip?  When he descended to 18K feet I thought it was odd since he was heading east...

I could see him canceling and going flight following if they tried to amend his route and take him too far out of the way.  I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but would make sense when you're trying to stretch the range.

Edited by Davidv

Just now, Davidv said:

That's weird because Flightaware shows him filing IFR.  However, maybe he canceled at some point in the air when they tried to give him a route that would extend his trip?  When he descended to 18K feet I thought it was odd since he was heading east...

I could see him canceling and going flight following if they tried to amend his route and take him too far out of the way.  I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but would make sense when you're trying to stretch the range.

FL18 is still alpha though.

43 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

So he just checked in with Approach only 25 miles out and asked for vectors to the ILS. The controllers said, "do you know the field is IFR?" So he had to pick up a clearance and get a squawk code at the last minute.

Why do you say that?  above FL180   you have to be on an IFR flight plan... and also I doubt if he was VFR he would be asking for vectors to the ILS.

Good flight!... not even his longest... Has a 9h25 min flight on record in flightaware.  Crazy... Dude needs a jet!

Just now, Austintatious said:

Why do you say that?  above FL180   you have to be on an IFR flight plan... and also I doubt if he was VFR he would be asking for vectors to the ILS.

Hopefully he'll check in and give us the whole story.

I'm speculating that because of possible icing/poor weather, he dropped below FL180 and canceled IFR to get more freedom to maneuver. Then as he got close to the destination he asked Approach for vectors, but the way he asked, and the response from ATC was not the typical conversation. And then the controller told him to stand by and then after awhile came back with a squawk code and a full IRF clearance.

Just my speculation... 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Hopefully he'll check in and give us the whole story.

I'm speculating that because of possible icing/poor weather, he dropped below FL180 and canceled IFR to get more freedom to maneuver. Then as he got close to the destination he asked Approach for vectors, but the way he asked, and the response from ATC was not the typical conversation. And then the controller told him to stand by and then after awhile came back with a squawk code and a full IRF clearance.

Just my speculation... 

Could be ice or could be to extend range if the wind up high on the nose was stronger or it could be to avoid a long circuitous reroute.  Anyway well played and interesting to hear what he says.

e

• Like 1

yes we flew nonstop ege-hps 1500nm.   we have the extra 29gal monroy tanks in the acclaim.  i lfy 25"mp  2300rpm.   i use the g1000 leaning to keep an average 1500 egts.   fuel flow is about 12gph.   this should preserve the cylinders.  the g1000 with calibrated tanks gives very exact range so you can be safe.   today tail wind was good up to chicago then a strong crosswind.   then a headwind.   all from the storm.   but we were still nonstop.

we were almost nonstop   hpn-ege on wednesday, by positioning north of the brunt of that storm's westerly.

flying high also increases true airspeed, and often mitigates a stronger headwind at higher altitudes.   also higher is safer in winter because it's too cold for icing.  and you are above most weather.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ss10017 said:

yes we flew nonstop ege-hps 1500nm.   we have the extra 29gal monroy tanks in the acclaim.  i lfy 25"mp  2300rpm.   i use the g1000 leaning to keep an average 1500 egts.   fuel flow is about 12gph.   this should preserve the cylinders.  the g1000 with calibrated tanks gives very exact range so you can be safe.   today tail wind was good up to chicago then a strong crosswind.   then a headwind.   all from the storm.   but we were still nonstop.

we were almost nonstop   hpn-ege on wednesday, by positioning north of the brunt of that storm's westerly.

flying high also increases true airspeed, and often mitigates a stronger headwind at higher altitudes.   also higher is safer in winter because it's too cold for icing.  and you are above most weather.

Awesome.

So what kind of TAS were you seeing then at that 12gph?

39 minutes ago, ss10017 said:

Hey, thanks for jumping into the conversation. There were quite a few of us following you on FlightAware as we sat at the desk working. I also spent a bit of time trying to catch you on LiveATC as well. I heard you briefly as you'd just crossed into Ohio and then picked you up on Approach then Tower and then Ground. When I heard you tell ground you were going to Ross West, I quickly called them to leave a message hoping you'd get it and check in here on MooneySpace.

I'm curious, it sounded like you might have canceled IFR and dropped down below FL180 until about 25 miles from landing where you picked up an IFR clearance again for the vectors to the ILS and landing? Anyway, just curious.

What an awesome flight and great job. It's really cool to see someone really stretching the legs on these amazing Mooneys.

Well done sir!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, SS10017!

I got here late today... right about the time you were on the ground... :)

Hope you have time to hang out...

You win a prize for best first post on MS, in a long time.

Best regards,

-a-

Welcome, @ss10017!! Please hang around and tell us about your plane, your flight, yourself.

Anthony, how would I find my first post? Or yours?  Seems to not be much around from before the upgrade in 2012 . . . .

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

Welcome, @ss10017!! Please hang around and tell us about your plane, your flight, yourself.

Anthony, how would I find my first post? Or yours?  Seems to not be much around from before the upgrade in 2012 . . . .

We can go back through every post by looking in your avatar area... and hit the button at the bottom... show more posts...

That would probably take a few years to actually get to 2011...  

I have seen a few posts that go back to before where my writing style changed... when there were capital letters, punctuation, whole sentences, and paragraphs...   :)

If you know the topic of your first post... you have a chance at finding it...  I looked up when I first met my favorite Mooney CFI (Cris) to see if he was telling me the truth about a conversation we had... it was all there... it was all about getting max fuel into his Screamin’ Eagle and WnB... Cris helped me get flying again...

We can always ask Craig...

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

image.thumb.jpeg.b1d105e7449d8964c15337cb72df0b9b.jpeg

I was walking around the ramp 6 weeks ago.... FIKI..... this baby was heavy.  I bet it flew like a champ.  The problem I have this time of year at low power LOP is keeping my cylinders warm enough to stay in the green.  

Nice Flight, I’ve said it before, no other piston can do what the acclaim does.

988965DD-B252-4C41-996C-F9D7D3C43814.jpeg

Edited by Mooneymuscle56m
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, carusoam said:

MM56m,

Any idea what the lower limit of the green zone is on your CHT instrument..?

Every now and then, this comes up in conversation...

Discussions of lead oxide and lead bromide follow...

Best regards,

-a- 

Off the top of my head lower 225F ish. If I have the extra fuel I’ll add a little power.   I’ve tried HVAC foil tape on a 1/3 of each inter cooler.  Works well until descend into PHX.   

I left PHX with a great tail wind winter of 2017, when I leveled off and leaned the G1000 was showing Anchorage with almost legal reserve.  I have standard tanks, 102, but if I park and fill with the nose inclined, I can almost squeeze 107.  

Edited by Mooneymuscle56m
  • Like 2