Acclaim EGE to HPN

Davidv

I think the long range tank option on the Acclaim is 125 gal. Which would be plenty of gas. But you're right, he might have to divert depending on the weather. But he's got another 4 hours to go and it will be after dark when he gets there.

I thought his climb was interesting. He initially leveled off at 15K then after a while climbed to 17K, and finally up to FL230. I guess that could be because of weight? But in my 252 I generally just go straight to my final cruising altitude.

My bladder hurts just looking at this.. .and I have a strong bladder... Ive done 5.5 hours in my glider while sucking on a 120 oz hydro pack!

In my rocket Id be doing about 215 knots TAS at that altitude burning about 16-17 GPH.   I dont have the 105 gal tanks but if I did.

Hr 1 = 20 gal

hr 2 = 37

hr 3 = 54

hr 4 = 71g

hr 5 = 88 gal

hr 5.5 = 95 g

And that would be that...  How can he get 10 hours!  Not even the lowest power setting would get me low enough to go 10 hrs!

Quite the flight!!

Guess he's been watching stinkypants . . . .

My bladder is fine, but sitting in the cockpit that long would be awful. I've almost reached five hours, and have been very happy to stand up and walk--four hours is about where I'm ready for the flight to end.

1 hour ago, Austintatious said:

My bladder hurts just looking at this.. .and I have a strong bladder... Ive done 5.5 hours in my glider while sucking on a 120 oz hydro pack!

In my rocket Id be doing about 215 knots TAS at that altitude burning about 16-17 GPH.   I dont have the 105 gal tanks but if I did.

Hr 1 = 20 gal

hr 2 = 37

hr 3 = 54

hr 4 = 71g

hr 5 = 88 gal

hr 5.5 = 95 g

And that would be that...  How can he get 10 hours!  Not even the lowest power setting would get me low enough to go 10 hrs!

Quite the flight!!

If you can manage to slow down....I find I do have a go slow setting that is LOP, 12.5 or 12.7 2200rpm 26'' and that will produce 180-190 in the upper teens.

But even with LR tanks - no way I could do that 10hr Western Colorado to Eastern NY flight - that's for the M20J or the 252 only - with LR tanks and astronaut diapers (depends) crowd.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I just heard him on LiveATC. And now he's descending.

Seems like he leveled off again at 18000. Is he still going for it?  With the speeds he is going in an Acclaim - and 125gal he may well be in slow-go go-for it mode still.

Just now, aviatoreb said:

If you can manage to slow down....I find I do have a go slow setting that is LOP, 12.5 or 12.7 2200rpm 26'' and that will produce 180-190 in the upper teens.

But even with LR tanks - no way I could do that 10hr Western Colorado to Eastern NY flight - that's for the M20J or the 252 only - with LR tanks and astronaut diapers (depends) crowd.

I would love to talk to you about LOP in your rocket... I have Gamis and still I find the engine runs a bit rougher when I try to go LOP.  That and the higher I am I seem to be fighting a battle with the TIT in that if I got LOP on the cylinders my TIT is too high.   I have 2 TIT readings, one stock and one on an old GEM.  I do not have much confidence in them.  I am thinking of replacing the TIT probe on the GEM because as I understand it, Old probes start to read High.

2 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

I would love to talk to you about LOP in your rocket... I have Gamis and still I find the engine runs a bit rougher when I try to go LOP.  That and the higher I am I seem to be fighting a battle with the TIT in that if I got LOP on the cylinders my TIT is too high.   I have 2 TIT readings, one stock and one on an old GEM.  I do not have much confidence in them.  I am thinking of replacing the TIT probe on the GEM because as I understand it, Old probes start to read High.

Hi - I am happy to chat LOP - here?  Or another thread? Or PM - what do you think?  Long story short - TIT is the limiting factor which limits the power I can do it - only lower power settings and not at the highest altitudes, and also there was a lot of work through the system to get it to run well even then LOP.  But it does!

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I think the long range tank option on the Acclaim is 125 gal. Which would be plenty of gas. But you're right, he might have to divert depending on the weather. But he's got another 4 hours to go and it will be after dark when he gets there.

I thought his climb was interesting. He initially leveled off at 15K then after a while climbed to 17K, and finally up to FL230. I guess that could be because of weight? But in my 252 I generally just go straight to my final cruising altitude.

Long Range on an Acclaim is 130 gallons and legend has it you can squeeze even a few more in there.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Seems like he leveled off again at 18000. Is he still going for it?  With the speeds he is going in an Acclaim - and 125gal he may well be in slow-go go-for it mode still.

He's probably got almost 30 knots on the nose, so he's probably doing close to 180 kts TAS. And at only FL180, that's not super slow, even for an Acclaim

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

On another note... I love my Mooney and for a lot of the flying I intend to do, it beats the airlines in price and door to door time... This does not appear to be a flight I would want to do in it... even 2 airline tickets would be cheaper and a lot faster.  I doubt he has more than 2 aboard.

Its more fun to fly a long way like this in the summer.  Believe it or not - summer before last I flew to Bozeman Montana (with a stop) and even so in my Mooney it was faster door-door than with any airline possibility and not at all much more expensive.  Considering I live rural and its a long drive to the big airport then the parking lines. etc before you get off the ground - then 3 flights/2 connections to Bozeman.  And for expense - it was with my son and we brought bikes, and lots of fishing gear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

So he just checked in with Approach only 25 miles out and asked for vectors to the ILS. The controllers said, "do you know the field is IFR?" So he had to pick up a clearance and get a squawk code at the last minute.

How could he not be IFR after all that time enroute at FL23?

I see he is almost there.