Ten Commandments

flyer338

This is something I came across as a student pilot almost 30 years ago. It still brings a smile. I made a change to the title to make it appropriate for this list. I particularly think the one about checklists is appropriate here, and I also like the one about weather prophets.

Mooney Pilots’ Ten Commandments

I. Thou shalt abstain from the intersection takeoff for, verily, the
runway behind thee, as the altitude above thee, cometh not to thine aid

when thou needest them.

II. Thou shalt not linger on active runways lest thou become like unto

minced meat.

III. Ignorest not they checklists, for many are the switches, handles,

Gauges, and other demons awaiting to take cruel vengeance upon thee.

IV. Thou shalt cast thine eyes to thy right and also to thy left as

thou passeth through the firmament lest thy fellow pilots bring flowers to thy

widow, and comfort her in other ways.

V. Thou shalt not buzz, for this shall surely incur the wrath of thy

neighbors and the fury of the authorities shall be called down upon thy

head.

VI. Thou shalt be ever mindful of thy fuel lest there be nothing in

thy tank to sustain thee upon the air and thy days be made short.

VII. Trust not thine eyes to lead thee through the cloud lest the

Arc-angle Gabriel await thee therein.

VIII. Thou shalt not trespass into the thunderstorm lest the tempest

rend the wings from thy chariot and cast thee naked into the firmament.

IX. Put not thy trust in weather prophets, for when the truth is

not in them they shall not accompany thee among thy ancestors.

X. Thou shalt often confirm thine airspeed on final lest the

earth rise up and smite thee.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

NO NO NO , there are 11, (ELEVEN) commandments.

11.  Thou shalt not be caught!

I learned early on, knowledge of the FARs is essential to keeping this commandment. Be careful of the stories told in the airport lounge (now online).

I thought it was Marauder’s girls. By the way I haven't seen any Marauder’s girls in quite a while. What gives? Political correctness?

Actually some complained that they were insulted looking at fat people. So, they have been working to fix that.

c4b6a55e398cac4a224aad6e71cda088.jpg533e5cddeaadf8e4627d5b23075e2c26.jpga5a66ab9141b87f381fcaad12f2bd652.jpg

I did see Tony Starke, that you needed to let a little out of your Ironman suit.

612ef1c71d9bf29c566172ffdb35fde2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Tony Starke said:

I thought it was Marauder’s girls. By the way I haven't seen any Marauder’s girls in quite a while. What gives? Political correctness?

SHUT UP!!! I'm liking it here again . . . No need for eye bleach lately.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Actually some complained that they were insulted looking at fat people. So, they have been working to fix that.

c4b6a55e398cac4a224aad6e71cda088.jpg533e5cddeaadf8e4627d5b23075e2c26.jpga5a66ab9141b87f381fcaad12f2bd652.jpg

I did see Tony Starke, that you needed to let a little out of your Ironman suit.

612ef1c71d9bf29c566172ffdb35fde2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whoa! We hit the motherload! Hey, that’s me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

So 7,000 feet of runway isn't enough when ATC instructs you take off from part way down a 12,000 foot runway? I'm not following the intersection take off thing.

-Robert

Agreed. My 'intersection' take off is 6,000 feet long...

So I taxi another mile while the oil temp climbs into the green. Now I have 12,000 feet in front of me instead of 7,000. If I happen to loose the lottery and this is my day for an engine failure on take-off, I have another mile of runway to put the plane down safely. I think the point is that when you give up a benefit there must be a commiserate advantage. In my opinion that is rarely the case for an intersection take-off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyer338 said:

So I taxi another mile while the oil temp climbs into the green. Now I have 12,000 feet in front of me instead of 7,000. If I happen to loose the lottery and this is my day for an engine failure on take-off, I have another mile of runway to put the plane down safely. I think the point is that when you give up a benefit there must be a commiserate advantage. In my opinion that is rarely the case for an intersection take-off. 

But you spent another 20 minutes idling on the ground while atc tried to figure out how to deal with this odd GA guy who wants to sit behind the 737’s waiting for take off 

-Robert

And that is the risk benefit trade-off inherent to light plane operations. That is what I mean by commiserate advantage. And it is something we evaluate on a continual basis in real time. Taking off in a mix with heavy jets includes wake turbulence avoidance. I think that cuts in favor of using all of the runway so I can make an early turn and avoid the wake turbulence. A midfield departure potentially puts one beneath the wake vortices with no real escape. 

• Like 1

I take the full runway too.  Whenever possible, I don’t let atc dictate how I fly my airplane.

I don’t hold it against you if you like 4,000’ and a quick taxi, but I’ll take all the extra luck/tools I can get if I ever have a problem on takeoff.  

That’s what I teach my students too, but I tell them to think about it and make their own decision when solo.

• Like 2

Intersection take-offs, or not using the whole runway available, has only destroyed a couple of MS planes... and changed the lives of a few people...

Sometimes it’s only a couple of hundred feet that would make a difference...

Sooo... always taxi back to the beginning... if it can make a difference...

Always take-off and land into the wind... if it can make a difference...

Always do a weight and balance... if it can make a difference...

Flying off a 6k’ long runway must be interesting... lots of taxiing and waiting to go with that?

The coolest part of a really long runway... taxiing back to the beginning so when the fan stops on T/O... plenty of room for what happens next... 2k’ runways aren’t that much fun in this area...

PP thoughts only, Patrick is the MSer who landed in the trees... after leaving some runway behind...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

sorry what are feet, aren't they those the things on the end of your legs? :)

Yep there is always one.

Oh and to counter Marauders "ladies", herewith a little video of diving.  Now Tom Daley is a guy I dive opposite when i am training, he shows you in this video the height i dive from, and how we gradually work our way up there.  Yep it REALLY does look that scary when you are up there.  I can do the spin dives, but not the Pike spins, ie the ones where he has his legs out straight.  Oh this is filmed EXACTLY in my second home, the London Aquatic centre.  at the beginning, you can see the three metre boards, by Toms right ear, spend a LOT of time on those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0ZV2dYwG0

I jumped from a 20m cliff once. It gives you time to consider your mortality on the way down.

• Haha 1