Garmin database update question

I know this is not 100% Mooney specific, but it is to my new to me Mooney.  I have a Garmin 430W and while it is "old tech" by today's standards it is new to me as far as ownership.  To update the database, does one need to be a part of the Garmin plan and for IFR and approach data also have a Jepp subscription?  Or is it an either or?  Both are rather expensive, so I would hate to subscribe to both if one would suffice.  

Thanks

Just one.  I'm with Garmin; it's slightly cheaper (didn't used to be).

You will need an appropriate programmer in addition to the subscription.  I think you can buy 'one-time' updates, as well.  But, if you plan to fly IFR on a regular basis it will be way more expensive that way.

1 hour ago, Tcraft938 said:

I know this is not 100% Mooney specific, but it is to my new to me Mooney.  I have a Garmin 430W and while it is "old tech" by today's standards it is new to me as far as ownership.  To update the database, does one need to be a part of the Garmin plan and for IFR and approach data also have a Jepp subscription?  Or is it an either or?  Both are rather expensive, so I would hate to subscribe to both if one would suffice.  

Thanks

As Mike said, either/or.  I use Garmin’s service now too as it’s slightly cheaper and I get the whole US instead of just the western US for that slightly cheaper price.  Expect the data card transfer device to cost $60ish. 

If you want a Jepp transfer device, pm me, I’ll send it to you half price, however, I’d recommend just buying the garmin one.

The garmin transfer device only works with garmin, the jepp only works with jepp.  It’s pretty silly.

1) Discussing avionics is Mooney enough...

2) There is probably a better place for the discussion...

3) A 430W is a relatively modern navigator... it has WAAS approach capability... nothing more modern than that.

4) WAAS came after the Bravos and Os first rolled out....

Carry on... :)

Best regards,

-a-

The programmer is this thing:  https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/1190

It's about $70, also available from just about every aviation retailer for the same price.

My cost for a 430W dropped from about $450/year for the Jepp data to about $300/year for the Garmin data, so I made back the price of the card writer in 6 months.  I can't tell the difference between the Jepp data and the Garmin data.

Note that you can continue using the Jepp chips if you buy a Garmin programmer, but you can't use the Jepp programmer for Garmin data.