Seeking cool weather pilots

BrettKS

1 hour ago, FlyingScot said:

Does everything you possibly can need, with a $10/mo cell charge. Commercial solution, free upgrades, extensible to include cameras, etc. I love DIY solutions, but why reinvent the wheel? :)

Screenshot 2019-12-04 10.26.13.png

+

Screenshot 2019-12-04 10.26.54.png

+

Screenshot 2019-12-04 10.28.12.png

Interesting but "what are they" for those of us Luddites? What do they do and how do they do it? Inquiring minds want to know. 

I'm barely able to decipher a Blinkxt2 camera system as all I want is a camera on the door and a ring on my phone when someone steps up to the door.  I'm guessing I can somehow start a heater in the hangar with this stuff by using my cell phone?

I am serious as some of us have no idea what you are talking about. I'm sure I'm not the only one. BTW my laptop has an on/off switch and beyond that ????????     I'm struggling right now with a computer problem where just one website that I use all of a sudden  says "request denied contact admin" and I have no idea how to fix it and reading on the net has very little to show. As you see, this is something many here could probably fix in their sleep but some of us struggle with it. 

SO, like I also said above, anything is easy when you know how.  That's why I try to spread the knowledge I have here to help others. 

Yes it’s what’s referred to as a HotSpot so I’m told.
Little black box from Verizon with a digital screen to show status an password.
I understand your concerns for testing, but it has had a lot of actual real world testing an has worked flawlessly. 

Reason I go this route is:
There are a few hanger neighbors that link up to this thing got various reason, an I also use it for monitoring the well-being of my assets. We have some airport commissioners that have demanded they have spare keys to all hangers, an they have been witnessed going in hangers at night to “check on peoples planes”.
Not anymore!!
FBA6685F-F92E-4818-A024-17BF79E37346.thumb.png.1a66f8d0c6ac1ecfc3bcf5e6fff3ce66.png

I run security cameras through a Verizon hotspot. The cameras have their own storage and can be viewed live. I have motions sensors set up so that when people show up in my supposedly secure hangar, I can see what is going on. When the incident below happened, the airport manager was surprised when I call him and told him to get the idiots out of my hangar. Walking around a plane with a ladder is a criminal offense in my book! And then see them pulling my plane out by the prop had me fuming. These guys were doing maintenance on the hangar and had no knowledge about moving airplanes.

2fe8155adf7cd42e831f54cd7627692d.png9bddb7b40ed7ee0b51e51269f734d561.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cliffy said:

Interesting but "what are they" for those of us Luddites? What do they do and how do they do it? Inquiring minds want to know. 

I'm barely able to decipher a Blinkxt2 camera system as all I want is a camera on the door and a ring on my phone when someone steps up to the door.  I'm guessing I can somehow start a heater in the hangar with this stuff by using my cell phone?

I am serious as some of us have no idea what you are talking about. I'm sure I'm not the only one. BTW my laptop has an on/off switch and beyond that ????????     I'm struggling right now with a computer problem where just one website that I use all of a sudden  says "request denied contact admin" and I have no idea how to fix it and reading on the net has very little to show. As you see, this is something many here could probably fix in their sleep but some of us struggle with it. 

SO, like I also said above, anything is easy when you know how.  That's why I try to spread the knowledge I have here to help others. 

I am delighted to. There are a number of very good home automation solutions that are perfect for this application. The key is connecting them to the internet. 

So to start, instead of a MI-FI card, or something similar, you can use a cellular modem - I use the one from Netgear (LB1120).

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-Modem-Broadband-Connection/dp/B01N5ASNTE/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=FHAQQ8V4STZ6BP0HHQP6&th=1

These use a cell-phone sim card and acts as a cell-> internet router. This gives you ethernet in your hangar. You just get an extra line on your cell-phone plan and use the sim card from that, or buy a prepaid sim card. Either one works. I added the line to my family cellphone plan and it costs me ~$10/month for unlimited data.

Then to this connect a Smartthings hub with a single ethernet cable (supplied):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNNT52L?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=3RTW2J570D7MZGGQRQE7&th=1

This unit, which has its own App for your cell-phone, acts as both a wi-fi access point as well as a router (so you will have wi-fi access for your hangar) as well as a mesh network hub to control up to 256 smartthings devices. These include: power switches which can be used to control heaters, lights, chargers, etc (which track power use, too) like:

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Power-Switch-ZEN15-Humidifiers/dp/B07578W7KY/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0MH3GVDB3G2HBNBSAWPB

These switches are configured directly (very simple to do) from the app.You can also add temperature sensors:

https://www.amazon.com/Centralite-Humidity-Sensor-SmartThings-ZigBee/dp/B07BSXX5TD/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=smartthings&qid=1575490860&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Motion Sensors:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-GP-U999SJVLBAA-Optional-Automated/dp/B07F8ZHBLS/ref=sxin_2_osp5-889cb986_cov?ascsubtag=889cb986-250a-42fd-856d-28b347034197&creativeASIN=B07F8ZHBLS&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.889cb986-250a-42fd-856d-28b347034197&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=smartthings+motion&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B07F8ZHBLS&pd_rd_r=8d47ef8c-0253-493a-b27a-6bd7a5d06b8e&pd_rd_w=wwPep&pd_rd_wg=Ki2Wa&pf_rd_p=a23a388c-add5-49df-b293-a31ade89c6bf&pf_rd_r=H0C15KJT84GKYXS1YJJH&qid=1575490963&s=electronics&tag=androidcentralosp-20

Cameras,

https://www.amazon.com/SmartThings-Security-GP-U999COVLBDA-Advanced-Detection/dp/B07P16FS32/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=SmartThings+camera&qid=1575495937&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTVRNU1VGWEtDQjFUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjM3NTgzMUJWRjJOTDdIVFhFViZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDA3MzQwMThSRFoxNkQ5MTROViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

etc. All can be monitored from your phone, and they can be programmed, too - e.g. "Turn heater on if temp goes below XX degrees", "activate camera if motion is detected, or if the hangar door is opened" or "turn the engine heat on at midnight tonight and keep it on for 12 hours". You can have it alert you on your phone if someone opens the hangar door, or moves the plane (I have a motion sensor and vibration sensor in the cabin). You can also add a smoke detector,  which alerts you on your phone if there is a problem.

Here is what it looks like on my phone: 

843242371_earrings-1(2).thumb.jpeg.83ebf7215de8a3b5a6bca584c366ee56.jpeg 

1485236284_earrings-2.thumb.jpeg.77333bd2e73ff665bf124200043405e0.jpeg

889906002_earrings-1(3).thumb.jpeg.dd669ec1f5db64c20b4aa236cb41328a.jpeg

I have mine tied to a ring security system as well. There are literally hundreds of devices that can be added, depending on what you wish to do.

Hope this is helpful. - Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WOW NOW I have a place to start! BUT NOW I have to go back to school and ask my son to help define what you have said 

Thank you Thank you

I'm making a hard copy of this  (killing a tree so I don't lose it to the electronic gods  :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I run security cameras through a Verizon hotspot. The cameras have their own storage and can be viewed live. I have motions sensors set up so that when people show up in my supposedly secure hangar, I can see what is going on. When the incident below happened, the airport manager was surprised when I call him and told him to get the idiots out of my hangar. Walking around a plane with a ladder is a criminal offense in my book! And then see them pulling my plane out by the prop had me fuming. These guys were doing maintenance on the hangar and had no knowledge about moving airplanes.

2fe8155adf7cd42e831f54cd7627692d.png9bddb7b40ed7ee0b51e51269f734d561.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I would have been suffering from instant RedAss syndrome!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyingScot said:

I am delighted to. There are a number of very good home automation solutions that are perfect for this application. The key is connecting them to the internet. 

So to start, instead of a MI-FI card, or something similar, you can use a cellular modem - I use the one from Netgear (LB1120).

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-Modem-Broadband-Connection/dp/B01N5ASNTE/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=FHAQQ8V4STZ6BP0HHQP6&th=1

These use a cell-phone sim card and acts as a cell-> internet router. This gives you ethernet in your hangar. You just get an extra line on your cell-phone plan and use the sim card from that, or buy a prepaid sim card. Either one works. I added the line to my family cellphone plan and it costs me ~$10/month for unlimited data.

Then to this connect a Smartthings hub with a single ethernet cable (supplied):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNNT52L?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=3RTW2J570D7MZGGQRQE7&th=1

This unit, which has its own App for your cell-phone, acts as both a wi-fi access point as well as a router (so you will have wi-fi access for your hangar) as well as a mesh network hub to control up to 256 smartthings devices. These include: power switches which can be used to control heaters, lights, chargers, etc (which track power use, too) like:

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Power-Switch-ZEN15-Humidifiers/dp/B07578W7KY/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0MH3GVDB3G2HBNBSAWPB

These switches are configured directly (very simple to do) from the app.You can also add temperature sensors:

https://www.amazon.com/Centralite-Humidity-Sensor-SmartThings-ZigBee/dp/B07BSXX5TD/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=smartthings&qid=1575490860&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Motion Sensors:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-GP-U999SJVLBAA-Optional-Automated/dp/B07F8ZHBLS/ref=sxin_2_osp5-889cb986_cov?ascsubtag=889cb986-250a-42fd-856d-28b347034197&creativeASIN=B07F8ZHBLS&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.889cb986-250a-42fd-856d-28b347034197&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=smartthings+motion&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B07F8ZHBLS&pd_rd_r=8d47ef8c-0253-493a-b27a-6bd7a5d06b8e&pd_rd_w=wwPep&pd_rd_wg=Ki2Wa&pf_rd_p=a23a388c-add5-49df-b293-a31ade89c6bf&pf_rd_r=H0C15KJT84GKYXS1YJJH&qid=1575490963&s=electronics&tag=androidcentralosp-20

Cameras,

https://www.amazon.com/SmartThings-Security-GP-U999COVLBDA-Advanced-Detection/dp/B07P16FS32/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=SmartThings+camera&qid=1575495937&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTVRNU1VGWEtDQjFUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjM3NTgzMUJWRjJOTDdIVFhFViZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDA3MzQwMThSRFoxNkQ5MTROViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

etc. All can be monitored from your phone, and they can be programmed, too - e.g. "Turn heater on if temp goes below XX degrees", "activate camera if motion is detected, or if the hangar door is opened" or "turn the engine heat on at midnight tonight and keep it on for 12 hours". You can have it alert you on your phone if someone opens the hangar door, or moves the plane (I have a motion sensor and vibration sensor in the cabin). You can also add a smoke detector,  which alerts you on your phone if there is a problem.

Here is what it looks like on my phone: 

843242371_earrings-1(2).thumb.jpeg.83ebf7215de8a3b5a6bca584c366ee56.jpeg 

1485236284_earrings-2.thumb.jpeg.77333bd2e73ff665bf124200043405e0.jpeg

889906002_earrings-1(3).thumb.jpeg.dd669ec1f5db64c20b4aa236cb41328a.jpeg

I have mine tied to a ring security system as well. There are literally hundreds of devices that can be added, depending on what you wish to do.

Hope this is helpful. - Bob

You have everything automated except a cell phone activated button that sets everything in motion to have your airplane go fly a few laps around the pattern to shake out the rust - while you sit at home on a saturday with your roomba vacuuming and your robot lawn mower mowing while you sit on the hammock master minding how to over throw the world remotely!  :-)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

You have everything automated except a cell phone activated button that sets everything in motion to have your airplane go fly a few laps around the pattern to shake out the rust - while you sit at home on a saturday with your roomba vacuuming and your robot lawn mower mowing while you sit on the hammock master minding how to over throw the world remotely!  :-)

I'm working on it! ;)

• Like 2

On 12/1/2019 at 7:51 PM, toto said:

Here's a photo from when I was first playing around. The basic gist is a WiFi smart plug (about $10) and a FreedomPop hotspot ($19.99). The data service was zero dollars per month, so the all-in cost was thirty bucks. (Well, I actually deployed this in a small DriBOX that cost another $15 or so.)

Anyway, total cost around $40 or $45, with a $0 monthly. 

preheat-switch.jpg

I’m curious about the Sprint device in the picture. Was just looking at Freedompop site, but didn’t quite see this. Can you tell us a little more about that?  

7 hours ago, takair said:

I’m curious about the Sprint device in the picture. Was just looking at Freedompop site, but didn’t quite see this. Can you tell us a little more about that?  

It's a Netgear Zing. I have no idea whether they still offer this device, but it came as pictured here. There was no FreedomPop branding at all. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/hotspots/771s.aspx

I bought it a few years ago for $19.99, and they bizarrely sent me a Franklin R850 as a "bonus" with the shipment. I couldn't work out why a second cellular hotspot was the bonus offer when purchasing a cellular hotspot, but there you go. 

• Like 1