Cessna T210 Advantage

Gagarin

I think we are in different tax brackets.  That’s not a dig but I don’t think I will ever have a turbine of my own.  When I wanted the lift it had to be at the lower end of entry cost.  I’m not flying for business and I don’t fly high time per year.  The insurance quotes for the 210 made me wince.  Trying to find one that wasn’t on its belly at least once wasn’t easy.  The one I looked at and liked had spent time in the DEA impound lot.  So they are definitely popular for load hauling!

I thought the thread was about the 210 vs. a Mooney.  I think a Baron is a more fair comparison.

One of my friends had to crank the emergency gear because the gear mechanism was busted by the fire that was consuming the aircraft.  Burned the hell out of his hands.  Meant to ask him why he didn't just gear the thing up and get the hell out.  I'll take my J-bar any day.

Only Cessna goes as fast s my Mooney is a Skylane.  They cost a lot more to buy and go through a lot more gas to do it.  They can land crap strips and power their way out of anything though.  I'll still take my Mooney.  Don't need to land any mudholes.

12 minutes ago, steingar said:

One of my friends had to crank the emergency gear because the gear mechanism was busted by the fire that was consuming the aircraft.  Burned the hell out of his hands.  Meant to ask him why he didn't just gear the thing up and get the hell out.  I'll take my J-bar any day.

Only Cessna goes as fast s my Mooney is a Skylane.  They cost a lot more to buy and go through a lot more gas to do it.  They can land crap strips and power their way out of anything though.  I'll still take my Mooney.  Don't need to land any mudholes.

Well and the TTX. Thatll beat your mooney but about 60 to 70 knots.

49 minutes ago, steingar said:

Only Cessna goes as fast s my Mooney is a Skylane. 

Plus all of the 210 varieties, plus all of the turbocharged ones, plus any Cessna piston twin plus any Cessna jet . . .

Lots of Cessnas go much faster than your Mooney.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Pick them up at the factory. 

-Robert 

The new ones with the 310 hp Lycoming according to Cessna have a max cruise of 161 kn. So I guess you’re not terribly far off if running somewhere between 55 and 65% power, which is probably what most people do. That’s pretty slow. Don’t know why they don’t have the retractable version  ( i.e. 210) in their lineup. Would probably sell better than the fixed gear.

I like the 210 a lot as well.  It was insurance that made me rule it out.  I only had 300 hours at the time but my quote in 2009 was $9k/yr vs $2k for the Mooney (which is now down to $1k-$1.1k. (I don't remember the specifics of the quote so I can't clarify the hull value but I'm sure it was $150k or less) -K

1 hour ago, Alan Fox said:

Really https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/aircraft-fact-sheets/cessna-p210    Just curious what your Mooney INDICATES at 23000 feet.....

I really have no idea where you are going here.  I just think you are mistaken in your assessment of the P210 speed and range.  If I am wrong so be it.  Sorry if I somehow touched a raw nerve pointing out a possible discrepancy in your logic.  Take care and fly safe.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:00 PM, RobertGary1 said:

You need that full fuel, it doesn't get you far. I can count a few times I"ve ever needed (or wanted) full fuel in my Mooney in the United States. 6+ hours is a long time in the cockpit. But in a Mooney that gets you more than 1/4 across the United States.

-Robert

I flew IFR NYC to Pittsburgh with enough fuel to make an alternate in Orlando. On my 2nd missed, I was very tempted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1