Cessna T210 Advantage

Gagarin

My front hangar neighbor has a Cessna T210. When going flying with his elderly 90 year old mother he just park the car next to the passenger door  with the plane inside the hangar and transfer his mother very easily to the plane, even when is raining outside. Try that with a Mooney M20V Ultra. Many Cessna owners that park out on the ramp  leave the car in the tiedown area for easy boarding when they return back, even under rain the wing keeps the passenger dry when boarding the car, is like having your own Jetway. With my 1982 M20J I have to get an umbrella to get to the car and to unload the passengers after pushing out my right passenger.

Edited by Gagarin

Why is he taking his parents for a ride when it's raining?  Take them sightseeing when the weather is nice.

I have a neighbor with a Cessna 177RG and I've thought about the advantages and disadvantages of each.

C177RG:

Wider cabin by a few inches, better for sightseeing, shelter from rain as mentioned by the OP, two big doors allowing the pilot to be the last person in and the first person out, shade from the sun during the summer, easier to sump the tanks, probably better on grass strips.

My M20J:

Better forward CG capability, 10% faster with the same engine, 10% less fuel burn for a given flight ($$), 10% less engine time for a given flight ($$), easier to refuel, longer range, a door that doesn't leak, more reliable landing gear that doesn't look like it broke during retraction.

It essentially comes down to comfort and convenience vs speed and efficiency.  I considered both and ended up with the Mooney.

46 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I also fly a T206 (I’m a Cessna Factory Authorized Instructor). It’s a good plane and has great altitude capability. But if I’m going to pay to run a 310hp engine I’d rather go faster than a 200hp Mooney. 

-Robert 

C206 a very utilitarian plane, popular among realtors with properties on the keys and the Bahamas here in Florida. Some are equipped with floats for those out island with no strip.

Edited by Gagarin

I think a T210 compares to a M20M. Both turbo sixes. T210 has great useful load if you are only using four seats or less. They are great planes that are jack-of-all trades. When doing long haul, Turboed Mooney's speed shines and offsets the Cessna's advantages. However, I think they are great planes.

Fly Safe,
Safety Forum Mod

I have time in the Cessna retracts, cardinal rg, 182 rg and 210s, including the P210. All great planes. The P210 was fabulous but fairly hot running as I recall, really had to keep an eye on the CHTs.  A friend of mine used to have an 85, one of the last ones built. I never cared for the high wing format so much aesthetically, although I do think the P210 with no wing struts and those windows is a great looking aircraft. 

P 210 is a great aircraft , I owned one for 2 years ,  A very complex aircraft , requiring more skills than most of us weekend warriors (myself included)  Huge , quiet , payload payload payload , and very fast ,  but systems systems systems.....

6 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

The T210N I owned was a great hauler:  Full fuel AND over 900 pounds in the cabin.  Fast enough, very comfortable, and you sit in the shade all summer.  

You need that full fuel, it doesn't get you far. I can count a few times I"ve ever needed (or wanted) full fuel in my Mooney in the United States. 6+ hours is a long time in the cockpit. But in a Mooney that gets you more than 1/4 across the United States.

-Robert

25 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

You need that full fuel, it doesn't get you far. I can count a few times I"ve ever needed (or wanted) full fuel in my Mooney in the United States. 6+ hours is a long time in the cockpit. But in a Mooney that gets you more than 1/4 across the United States.

I took mine out for a short flight yesterday. I hadn't flown in almost a month and so thought it would be good to get it warmed up a bit. I topped off both tanks just because I was solo and hadn't filled them in quite a while.

As I was just buzzing around on the north side of Denver, I thought to myself, I've got enough gas to get to Cabo... I wonder how long it would take before anyone noticed I was gone. ^_^

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, flyer338 said:

Unless other considerations arise, such as fuel cost or needing to fill all the seats, I much prefer departing with full fuel. 

When the unexpected appears, the fuel left in the truck back at the airport is useless. 

On the other hand...

We park the plane with 30 to 35 gallons because once you fill it, it's time consuming to take it out if you need the payload.

The airlines learned long ago that it takes fuel to carry fuel.  Granted, not much in a Mooney, but it does burn a little extra fuel (maybe half a gallon on a three hour flight?).

18 hours ago, flyer338 said:

Unless other considerations arise, such as fuel cost or needing to fill all the seats, I much prefer departing with full fuel. 

When the unexpected appears, the fuel left in the truck back at the airport is useless. 

I mean you can also pull a boat behind your corvette just in case of flooding but isn't the purpose to have a high performance machine?

-Robert

22 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

On the other hand...

We park the plane with 30 to 35 gallons because once you fill it, it's time consuming to take it out if you need the payload.

The airlines learned long ago that it takes fuel to carry fuel.  Granted, not much in a Mooney, but it does burn a little extra fuel (maybe half a gallon on a three hour flight?).

And fairly noticeably degrades performance; especially climb rate.

-Robert

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 4:00 PM, RobertGary1 said:

-Robert

Lets see P-210 holds 88 gallons and goes 200 + Knotts at altitude burning 16 GPH …   that sounds like almost 1000 miles per fill up...

I used to plan on 175 KTAS in the mid-teens in my stock T210N. I didn’t take it above FL180.  Range of 700-800 nmi is realistic.  

Many T210 have either the Flint wingtip tanks or the O&N baggage compartment tank.  Or both, upping the total fuel to around 150 gallons.  

With 90 gallons:

FC461C57-C25A-4888-915A-6118000CBCD2.thumb.jpeg.79f7bb8b4e0a32a7e6b74bd25eb5ff48.jpeg

A 210 doesn’t compare well to a Mooney.  Different mission in my opinion.  

I looked at 210’s but bought a B55.  It was a 77’ B55 to be exact.  The twin was cheaper for insurance because of it’s lower hull value and much lower rate of gear up accidents.  The B55 was 7-8 NMPG at 180 kts and a 210 is 10NMPG at 160 kts.

Neither of them are compatible to a Mooney.  Mooney is all about fast and efficient. That is what they do well.  If that’s not the mission don’t get a Mooney.  This is like comparing a sports car to a suv.

• Like 1