Colorado advice

DonMuncy

I forgot to mention that right after we secured my J, another J/MSE was parked right next to me for a pilots n paws flight. It was a great day to fly!

Our original plan was to go to KCOS in Friday night, but we couldn't make it due to work and instead met our family in Denver on Saturday. It's so nice to have the flexibility!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 8:51 PM, Hank said:

My Mooney does turn tighter to the right than to the left. But I can run the outside tire near the edge of the asphalt and make a complete U turn in either direction on a 75' wide runway, without putting tires in the grass. This is impossible with a 41' turn radius, which would require 82' to turn around . . . . .

Are you accounting for wingspan?  I think radius is measured from outside wingtip.  

8 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Are you accounting for wingspan?  I think radius is measured from outside wingtip.  

I'm accounting for the path the wheels take. I can turn around in a little under 70', so the turn radiius is somewhat less then 35'. That's for checking whether I can turn around on the runway or not. Note that the turn can be tightned significantly with the inside brake.

Add a wingspan to turn around (70 + 36 = 106), so the wingtip turn radius would still be just over 50', the number to use maneuvering on the ramp. But there, I find the wingspan to usually be the determining factor. Again, judicious braking can tighten up turns, but nothing will reduce the required space for the wingtips on both sides.

• Like 1