Colorado advice

DonMuncy

Two almost totally unrelated questions. 

In the next month I need to go to visit my son in Castle Rock Colorado, and will need to stay several days to a week. It appears that my choices are Centennial and Colorado Springs. Being a CB, I want to minimize costs of housing my plane, fees, fuel, etc. Gladly accepting advice as to FBOs, etc. 

My grand-daughter (in Castle Rock) is interested in getting her license. Any thoughts on flight schools, FBOs, private instructors with planes available, etc.  

I've stopped several times at KCOS.  Cutter has been great.  Fuel is reasonably priced for Colorado.  I believe they have no ramp or tie down fees.   That said I've never stayed more than over night.  --And it is a great airport to overnight at.  Hotels are very close, reasonably priced, and the FBOs stay open late (maybe 24 hours).  I'd love to see one of the MAPA proficiency programs there.

I would land north of Castle Rock as I-25 is under construction and can cause significant traffic jams.  The only way to know the costs of using APA is to call the FBOs and get an estimate.  Self serve fuel is around $4.50 at TAC AIR.  Hangar costs will likely be frightful at any of the FBOs.  You may also find ramp fees charged.  If you want to put up with the traffic you could go to KFLY.  Gas at the self serve is $4.60 and I think you could find a hangar at reasonable cost.  KFLY just reopened after a repaving and the runway is nice and smooth.  I was down there a couple of weeks ago and was pleased with the work.  Mooney's work OK there but it is a little tight.  Taxiway narrow and ramp around self serve is adequate but if if there is a crowd waiting for gas, it could cause you to block the taxiway.  If you do not need the airplane while you are visiting you might consider KFTG.  Longer drive but more reasonable hangar costs.  They have rent cars on site.  Any of these airports can feature big winds and FTG does have perpendicular runways.  A snowstorm can cause problems at any of the airports but I think APA handles the snow the best.  If the FBO at FTG is charging too much for a hangar I might be able to find you some space from a private owner.

I agree with @FoxMike. While APA is closest for you, I'd go to FTG as my second choice before COS. The drive up from Colorado Springs is not fun. 

Give me a shout when you're in the area. My Mooney is based at BJC which would be a third option for you, but a little further north. I know of an independent CFI at BJC but I'm sure there are plenty at APA and FTG as well.

• Like 1

Definitely APA (my home base forever 20 years until 2013) and definitely TAC Air. 

If you are being picked up FLY would be an alternative, but unless it has changed a lot in the 8 years since I moved from Denver, parking is limited and I would call them to ask about the facilities ahead of time. I would not use FTG if only because you be driving about 30 minutes just to pass APA on the way to Castle Rock.

Edited by midlifeflyer

On 11/29/2019 at 11:37 PM, FoxMike said:

I would land north of Castle Rock as I-25 is under construction and can cause significant traffic jams.  The only way to know the costs of using APA is to call the FBOs and get an estimate.  Self serve fuel is around $4.50 at TAC AIR.  Hangar costs will likely be frightful at any of the FBOs.  You may also find ramp fees charged.  If you want to put up with the traffic you could go to KFLY.  Gas at the self serve is $4.60 and I think you could find a hangar at reasonable cost.  KFLY just reopened after a repaving and the runway is nice and smooth.  I was down there a couple of weeks ago and was pleased with the work.  Mooney's work OK there but it is a little tight.  Taxiway narrow and ramp around self serve is adequate but if if there is a crowd waiting for gas, it could cause you to block the taxiway.  If you do not need the airplane while you are visiting you might consider KFTG.  Longer drive but more reasonable hangar costs.  They have rent cars on site.  Any of these airports can feature big winds and FTG does have perpendicular runways.  A snowstorm can cause problems at any of the airports but I think APA handles the snow the best.  If the FBO at FTG is charging too much for a hangar I might be able to find you some space from a private owner.

Fox Mike, What do you mean about KFLY being a little tight? If I had to call on you for help, where is it that you might find hangar space?

On your other question about flight lessons, there are at least four flight training operations at KAPA. If this is for personal pleasure or business, I'd suggest Aspen Flying Club. If she's interested in Cirrus aircraft, Independence Aviation, if cost is a factor, Centennial Flyers.

Edited by midlifeflyer

56 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

On your other question about flight lessons, therecarexatblesstv4 flight training operations at KAPA. If this is for personal pleasure or business, I'd suggest Aspen Flying Club. If she's interested in Cirrus aircraft, Independence Aviation, if cost is a factor, Centennial Flyers.

I don't understand the "therecarexatblesstv4"

Don,

The main runway at KFLY is 6000'x60'.  I would not use any other runway at KFLY in a Mooney.  Taxiways are narrow.  If you have have a strong crosswind and patchy ice you will have a challenging landing.  When taxiing if you make a wrong turn you may have to shut down and push the airplane to get turned around (this happens).  Mooney needs a 41" radius for a right turn and 46' for a left.  Biggest problem is moving if snow banks get too high.  Narrow taxiways is where the problem is greatest.  

I base at the Colorado Spaceport (FTG) and will need a few days of lead time to see if I can  find a hangar.  You can email me or call.  I will PM you my cell.  I also do text.

• Like 1

I know I'm late to the party, but I have family in the Springs and visit regularly.  I wouldn't go to FKLY unless I was just stopping for fuel.  The main runway and main taxiway are nice, BUT the rest of the taxiways are ROUGH.  By rough, I mean they are worse than the cow pasture grass strips I land on and you will be repeatedly worried about a prop strike.

I always use Colorado Jet Center at KCOS.  Tie down fees are $6 vs $10 at Cutter.  They are also open 24/7 whereas Cutter is 6:00 AM - 10:00 PM.

I don't know about the Denver airports, but you have several suggestions on those already.

20 hours ago, FoxMike said:

Mooney needs a 41" radius for a right turn and 46' for a left.  

My Mooney does turn tighter to the right than to the left. But I can run the outside tire near the edge of the asphalt and make a complete U turn in either direction on a 75' wide runway, without putting tires in the grass. This is impossible with a 41' turn radius, which would require 82' to turn around . . . . .

@Hank is correct. I was based at Smithville, TX for several years. That's 84R and it has a 75 ft wide runway with no taxiway at the south end. Also JD Casteel and SWTA is based at 84R so you can be sure there are several Mooney operations on that runway every single day. Everyone of them turn around on the runway to back taxi, easily without putting a wheel in the grass.  This includes everything from short bodies to mid-bodies to long body Bravos, Ovations, Acclaims, and the newest Ultras. 

So obviously the turning radius of a Mooney is something less than 40 ft.

On 11/30/2019 at 4:41 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I know of an independent CFI at BJC but I'm sure there are plenty at APA and FTG as well.

Paul,

Would you mind giving me the contact information for the independent CFI, either here or by PM. I would like to give him a call and maybe visit with him.

Thanks

Two gorgeous planes; wait, I am not allowed to brag on that back one. Sorry I wasn't around to see you when you arrived. When are you leaving?
Hi Don, I saw your gorgeous K when we arrived at Tac Air on Saturday, and was happy to see my plane moved next to yours for overnight parking. We left on Sunday afternoon... Just a quick visit.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1