Are height adjustible Seats available?

NicoN

We all sit a little too low in our M20K/1980.

For me it is acceptable, but all passengers complain about it.

The situation my get a little better if we manage to find someone who does a good upholstery of our front seats. They feel like camping chairs.

But, I know, there are height adjustable seats around.

Is this something we can do as a mod? I guess those seats are rare and expensive as unicorn sperm.

I think they are called "fully articulating" seats and yes, would be nice to know which models can be donors for our K's.

For the time being, child booster seats should do the job, and on the cheap, too.

Me, I just tell people it's all part of the Mooney experience and that they can come along or not, their choice.

I have them in my 1985 J, it's Special Edition. I don't know if they would work on the rails of a K, but worth looking in to. Our seats also aren't the most comfortable seats around and need to be reupholstered, but until then we have a couple of seat cushions made by a company called "Purple". They are known for their mattresses but they got their start designing seat cushions for wheel chairs to relieve pressure point issue. We got the 1" seat cushions but they also make a 2" version as well. They have helped tremendously.

https://purple.com/seatcushions

Edited by WaynePierce
added link
  • Thanks 1

Articulating seats are the most sought after accessory in the Mooney and are extremely rare to come by. It took me over five years to locate a pair for mine and I paid through the nose, but in the end it was worth the price just to keep my wife from complaining about having to use a cushion for all those years.

This is what I bought for my son to sit on when we first got the plane. It fits the size of the seat without hanging over the edges and getting in the way of the Johnson bar. I still carry it around when I'm going to take the grandkids flying.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UUTCZ8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to own a '78 J without articulating seats and now own a '94 J with them. The articulating seats are nice, BUT I have adjusted them exactly once. 

The original seats were not really too low (I'm 5' 6") but the original foam had deteriorated. I used a contoured back support from an orthopedic supply store in my '78 which was very comfortable. I took the seats and the support to an aviation upholsterer and had them redo the back foam in the contour of the back support and redo the seat foam about an inch thicker and then cover the seats. They were the most comfortable airplane seats I've ever had.

Skip

• Like 1

My ‘65 C model neither had nor needed vertically adjustable seats. I really like the placement of the engine and fuel gauges in my ‘83 J despite the raised panel height. Fortunately it has an vertically adjusting pilot seat. The co-pilot seat is not vertically adjustable and my 5’ sweetheart and a 5’ 6” friend complain they are sitting too low. I did not have a problem (5’ 11”) test flying the plane from the right seat. 

If I could find a vertically adjustable right seat, I would be interested.

53 minutes ago, jrwilson said:

My 84’ K has Vertically articulated seats, I thought it was pretty standard on them.  Maybe it’s an upgrade.  If so I like my plane even more now :)

I believe they were standard on the pilots side and a $1,300 option on the right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 75_M20F said:

I have a set of fully articulating seats with built in arm rest  and matching rear that I may be selling sometime next year. (Assuming I sell the Mooney - I have two complete interiors and will be selling one of them)

IMG_19491.jpg

You should be able to retire with what you'll get for them.

2 hours ago, flyer338 said:

Will they fit an ‘83 201 with a folding rear seat? If so I am interested. 

I believe they came out of a 201. (The front fully articulating seats that is) The rear seats I am not sure.

I am looking at upgrading to a Baron sometime next year, when that happens these seats will be up for sale. (I have two interiors for the Mooney...  selling this one)