Bendix king 525 HSI issue

1ang

Got a question, see if anyone else had this issue and what the fix was. Trying to see if I can avoid brining it to the shop:

Have a 525 HSI and the heading bug won’t move, the dial spins freely but does not move the bug. Made my trip back home from thanksgiving a little more difficult then I wished.

Is the shaft moving or just the knob? Is there a set screw? 
(I am commenting w/o knowing anything about design the particular device.)

The know and the visible shaft behind the face is moving but then I can’t see anymore past that because of the secondary face behind the glass. The shaft does have a flat face too it. Just trying to see if anyone knows of this shaft become disconnected or if I have to take it to a shop

ang,

Sounds like the indicator has become mechanically disconnected from the rest of the device... ?

Does the AP still work otherwise?

Like does the plane go in the direction, it thinks the indicator is showing, and head towards a new heading when the knob is turned?

essentially I’m asking if the indicator came loose, vs. the knob coming loose...

if the knob is falling off the shaft... that is something you can easily fix...

if the indicator has come loose inside the HSI... a local instrument shop may be able to fix it...

if the problem is internal and can’t be fixed locally... used BK HSIs are streaming into the market lately...

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guy...

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, 1ang said:

The know and the visible shaft behind the face is moving but then I can’t see anymore past that because of the secondary face behind the glass. The shaft does have a flat face too it. Just trying to see if anyone knows of this shaft become disconnected or if I have to take it to a shop

Don't know if this would help. The cover pic does show a set screw but I guess you've progressed beyond the obvious....

https://www.bendixking.com/en/~/media/bendixking/files/006-08256-0004_4-kcs-55-55a-ki-525a-pilot-s-guide.pdf

• Like 1

ang,
Sounds like the indicator has become mechanically disconnected from the rest of the device... ?
Does the AP still work otherwise?
Like does the plane go in the direction, it thinks the indicator is showing, and head towards a new heading when the knob is turned?

essentially I’m asking if the indicator came loose, vs. the knob coming loose...
if the knob is falling off the shaft... that is something you can easily fix...
if the indicator has come loose inside the HSI... a local instrument shop may be able to fix it...
if the problem is internal and can’t be fixed locally... used BK HSIs are streaming into the market lately...
PP thoughts only, not an instrument guy...
Best regards,
-a-

AP Still flyovers the heading bug, thankfully for a portion of my flight the bug was on the actual needed heading, lucky lucky. The know is the issue it spins with no resistance