Amusing 172 crash video

8 hours ago, DXB said:

Very true - it is kind of a great instructional video in its own way though for the new students (and the rest of us). BTW you should see the racist dumptser fire of comments made around this video on the pilot forum where I found it - I'm actually rather proud of the decency shown by the Mooneyspace membership here in comparison ;)

You’re right, it’s a good learning video.  I showed my student pilot daughter the video, she immediately spotted the ASI near the top of the white arc and his failure to steer the plane on touch down.  

Being Asian herself she made no comments about the pilots ethnicity.

Clarence 

Being Asian herself she made no comments about the pilots ethnicity.
Clarence 

It’s okay; I was issued a politico-ethnosocial license to point that out when I was born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

Imagine the result using that technique to land a Mooney? :o

I thought I was going to do that yesterday...  Runway 17 Wind from 200.   Gusting to 28.

Wishing I had more skilz on final.

It was not pretty, about a foot off centerline.   Happy to get it down.  Looked like a drunk sailor taxing.

Good news I hit 161 knots on the way back.

• Like 1

Interesting instinct though - let’s not shutoff fuel and power first; instead GRAB THE CAMERA! ....

Total wild-ass guess but I’m leaning towards his CFI not allowing him to video stuff, specifically his solo, so he was quickly trying to hide it. Can’t think of another reason why he’d rush to remove the camera that fast. Maybe another reason would be “oh sht, I don’t want any evidence found of how I screwed up so lemme grab this camera real quick then I’ll only post it to the internet where nobody will ever see it”. Otherwise I’m at a loss.
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 5:08 PM, Mooney in Oz said:

Imagine the result using that technique to land a Mooney? :o

Does that everytime I pass the threshold +5kts than I should, luckily after a bounce the Mooney likes to go back flying in the air at almost circuit height than taxi straight to the hangar !

Edited by Ibra

This kinda reminded me of my Heli training days in 95 or so.I used Exec helicopter in Sac and they also had a contract training pilots from China and Japan.I was driving over to preflight my assigned r22 when the Guy flying before me lands fast and transitions into a wobbly hover resulting in a tail roter strike followed by a rollover.After all the smoke and dust clears,out pops this oriental looking guy ,and I Kidd you not,runs away !He is running for the nearest hangar about 100 yards away and is hiding behind a dumpster!My instructor than shows up ,looks at the wreckage,and says “where is the pilot”!I point over to the dumpsters in the distance and you can just make out a head bobbing up and down.He just shakes his head and says “not again!”

• Haha 1

Head slaps. If I did that in front of my mom she would slap my head so bad. I would run too; it’s a Pavlovian response to a culturally driven head slap.

My best guess is that it is instinctive to run. I saw a planned gear-up landing (mechanical failure) of a flight school twin that came down quite gracefully and the crew ran out of it like it was loaded with dynamite. I had an unplanned landing and did the opposite though - I did NOT have enough time to fumble with switches and valves and had to fly it into the ground. Post-upset response was then to shut her down and then momentarily reflect that I was alive, then exit, then immediately have to take a crap. So maybe that is what he was doing behind the dumpster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1