Amusing 172 crash video

I'm making the case that it's ok to chuckle at this one, despite minor injuries to solo student pilot and as well as harm to innocent airport signage and aircraft:  

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/11/cessna-172n-skyhawk-n739ua-incident.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR1ZVYJFyNUX7v3vTPnmP8HtrMfyRfFtkzocb9UK8S1RkSNK_wVtvenr1Aw

Not saying I was exactly the most technically gifted PPL student either, but the student's reaching for the GoPro first after coming to a stop (rather than cutting off fuel, mixture, master, opening door etc) carries some entertainment value here, as do the epaulets on his shirt.  Definitely not ready for the stripes yet :lol:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

That guy was hauling a$$ and was trying to force the plane to land. Such an easy aircraft to fly too. I can't wait until he is right-seat in an Asiana 777 in two years...

Oh I'll give him credit for not destroying the video footage too!

What confuses me is why did this guy not delete the video?

Having my own Gen Z kid, my guess this guy is a millennial. He is carrying around his “I survived an airplane crash” video on his iPhone to show all his other millennial friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Take a look at the ASI...

It is nearly at the top end of the white arc...

Yeah I can’t stop watching - poor taxiway E sign never stood a chance :P

This has serious aviation meme potential...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DXB said:

but the student's reaching for the GoPro first after coming to a stop (rather than cutting off fuel, mixture, master, opening door etc) carries some entertainment value here, as do the epaulets on his shirt. 

Those aren't epaulets,  just part of his shirt.  I've had shirts like that, got jackets with those things.

The lack of speed control was a contributing factor.   Can't tell if the flaps were down- I'm guessing not.    Dead feet syndrome.  Almost seems like he hit the left rudder pedal?   I like the final scene where the windshield was full of grass....   Classic.

8 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

The lack of speed control was a contributing factor.   Can't tell if the flaps were down- I'm guessing not.    Dead feet syndrome.  Almost seems like he hit the left rudder pedal?   I like the final scene where the windshield was full of grass....   Classic.

Not hitting the left rudder pedal- every time he flared the left hand turning tendency pulled the nose left.  Just along for the ride, at that point.  Probably still blaming the airplane and doesn't realize he did something wrong.

Interesting instinct though - let’s not shutoff fuel and power first; instead GRAB THE CAMERA!
For all I know he shit everything else off afterwards but I seriously doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Ahh, the same airport and flight school where I got my PPL...

I'm often surprised there aren't more incidents like this given that the school is sort of a pilot puppy mill for a huge amount younger foreign students they train (who will be flying an Airbus as soon as they return home).  Not saying anything negative about them being "foreign", just the process of these students becoming instructors with the bare min time only to pass on bad habits to their students.

• Like 1

Let’s not be too hasty criticizing the pilot.  I remember a story here of a licensed Mooney pilot who took the mid field departure on a short runway and ended up parked on the front porch of a house.

Lack of experience and inattention can get any of us.

Clarence

5 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Interesting instinct though - let’s not shutoff fuel and power first; instead GRAB THE CAMERA!
For all I know he shit everything else off afterwards but I seriously doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny typo... but he may have done that during the landing and not afterwards! :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Let’s not be too hasty criticizing the pilot.  I remember a story here of a licensed Mooney pilot who took the mid field departure on a short runway and ended up parked on the front porch of a house.

Lack of experience and inattention can get any of us.

Clarence

Very true - it is kind of a great instructional video in its own way though for the new students (and the rest of us). BTW you should see the racist dumptser fire of comments made around this video on the pilot forum where I found it - I'm actually rather proud of the decency shown by the Mooneyspace membership here in comparison ;)

• Like 1