What is your static full throttle RPM?

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

Since the spec says .1 and doesn’t give +/-...

Expect tools of the trade to be able to measure that accurately...

Cody, got a pic of that?

Best regards,

-a-

The spec says 14.0 +/-0; not sure what that means.  Says 29.0 +/-2 for the other stop, which implies 27.0 to 31.0 degrees is acceptable.

In research, 10:1 is desirable for instrument accuracy; e.g., if you are measuring to 0.1, your instrument should be accurate to 0.01.  In my field of engineering, we like to see at least 3:1.

So, yes, I was asking what the 'tools of the trade' are capable of.  Sorry, I wasn't clear enough for you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, corn_flake said:

What is TCDS?

TCDS = Type Certificate Data Sheet. It's the specifications that the airplane must meet to be in accordance with it's certification. The Mooney TCDS is 2A3 and can be found on the FAA.gov website. Evidently your airplane was modified by installing a M20J engine/prop combination. In this case there should be some paperwork for this in your airplane file  -- look for an STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) which should have the revised specifications. The page of the TCDS for this installation in an M20J is:

TCDS_20191125_0001.thumb.jpg.b95b503544b3e9e644c619e850e4e253.jpg

Note that this has the same pitch settings as you found in the propeller logbook. It is highly unlikely that these settings have been changed since to do so on a McCauley prop requires disassembly and changing spacers.

So, if you are near sea level density altitude and perform a static runup with the mixture rich, the prop full hi rpm and full throttle and no wind and you cannot turn at least 2650 rpm with a known accurate tachometer, then either the governor is set too low or the engine isn't putting out rated power. But, I believe you indicated that you can get 2700 rpm in flight which would eliminate the governor and implicate the engine.

Skip

@PT20J  You 100% correct that the motor/prop combo came from a M20J.  The donor M20J continue its life and became Missile 300.  Sadly, that M20J end up in a off-field landing into a river 2014.  

Look like all evidence points back to the engine it self.  I'll still measure the prop pitch since it is pretty easy to do with modern smartphone app.  My IA and I have an appointment this weekend to start troubleshoot the engine starting with ignition.  

Flake,

got a list of what you are going to check?

You might get some help with priorities and things to look for...

Some things may be cost effective to just OH, or replace than to do any extensive studies on...

Is max rpm the only thing that isn’t right, or are there more issues?

Best regards,

-a-