Look what landed at our little airport

cliffy

Probably the best looking corporate airplane (inside and out) I've ever been in (and I flew a lot of them)  

This one really is world class in and out!

Its been 15 years but I still miss flying the 75  Great airplane. 

B757 at Page.jpg

Edited by cliffy
spelling

No, too small to count  Used to fly a guy that owned a 727 AND a DC-9 that we flew both around the world. At some point the money is inconsequential. Used to fly one or two people to Europe in the 727. 

Nope, not a gov airplane. Private owner. Engines? RR RB-211s with 40,0000 pounds of thrust each!

On 11/24/2019 at 4:06 PM, cliffy said:

Probably the best looking corporate airplane (inside and out) I've ever been in (and I flew a lot of them)

Hello Cliff.  I hope you are well.

I saw Irish rock band U2's B757 parked at Sydney airport for a couple of days last weekend as part of their Oz visit.  The aircraft had 'U2 The Joshua Tree Tour 2017'  with a tree in the background painted on both sides and a red tree on the tail against a dark background.  The aircraft is registered in Malta.

Bill Gates also used to own one.

The B757 is not an aircraft to be messed with if too close when landing behind one. It reportedly has nasty wake turbulence characteristics due to a very efficient supercritical wing design.

U2 B757.jpg

• Like 1

These are too big if you want to enjoy flying them yourself.  JMHO

For me if money was not object I would probably have a small Citation, Gulf-stream etc. something you could easily fly and ground handle single pilot for longer flights and to bring a few people along.  You need a TBM for the mid range flights and keep the Mooney for hamburger flights.  Then you need an open cockpit for really fun flights and a helicopter for the short hamburger runs.:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

For me if money was not object I would probably have a small Citation, Gulf-stream etc

I think Mooney's sits well in the same rank as Falcon 900ex/2000ex and I mean literally !

I recall, everybody else (Cessna, Pipers) were sent to park on grass that day except Mooneys & Falcons :D

I beleive those two bizjets were for Game Of Thrones casting crew during the 45th Deauville American Film Festival, St Gatian airoprt, France, Sep7th

20190907_130730.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Hello Cliff.  I hope you are well.

I saw Irish rock band U2's B757 parked at Sydney airport for a couple of days last weekend as part of their Oz visit.  The aircraft had 'U2 The Joshua Tree Tour 2017'  with a tree in the background painted on both sides and a red tree on the tail against a dark background.  The aircraft is registered in Malta.

U2 B757.jpg

My favorite plane used by a band on tour was a DC-3 used by America back in 1978 when they were popular.  They stopped at my home base for a concert and the crew let the GA pilots hanging around the FBO go aboard to check it out.  They had done a really nice job on the interior.  Wish I had a photo.

• Like 1

It may have been this plane:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucaipa_Companies

I know the paint is not exact but it has changed over the years....not sure when the wikipedia picture was taken....

If it is Ron Burkle's then you may see the Clintons onboard.......they travel extensively on it.......airlines are beneath them of course........

On 11/28/2019 at 4:55 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

The B757 is not an aircraft to be messed with if too close when landing behind one. It reportedly has nasty wake turbulence characteristics due to a very efficient supercritical wing design.

Ya, the 757 throws a BIG wake. Just short of being called a heavy for wake turbulence. Used to stand under the approach lights in the employee parking lot in Atlanta and you could actually hear the wakes descend through the light structure after they passed overhead on short final on a calm morning.  

Even when I was flying them I didn't want to follow another one too closely. ATC was pretty good about that. 

On 11/28/2019 at 10:30 AM, whiskytango said:

My favorite plane used by a band on tour was a DC-3 used by America back in 1978 when they were popular.  They stopped at my home base for a concert and the crew let the GA pilots hanging around the FBO go aboard to check it out.  They had done a really nice job on the interior.  Wish I had a photo.

A DC-3 was the first airplane I actually flew when I was 15. A pilot I knew took me along and gave the wheel to me and said "fly it" !  SO, I did, Had no idea what I was doing but I flew it then and several other times that summer. Basically my A&P school was all round motor stuff (NOT suck squeeze bang and blow round motors the real thing, radial engines). 

Nothing sounds or smells quite as good as a round motor starting up in the morning!

• Like 1