M20J vs A36

Gagarin

8 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

The seats in the A-36 can be faced forward , or backwards , They can also be removed in about 1 minute each , The A 36 , is capable of being stretched out to 4100 lbs ,  They have real landing gear , real fuel tanks , and a company that supports the product , and has continually for 65 years ,  Spar web cracks are VERY RARE , I personally have never seen them , wing bolts are not required , They have MUCH MORE ROOM , yes the Mooney cabin is 2 inches wider , It is also much rounder in the profile , The Bonanza is Roomier , I can and do run my Bonanza at 11.5 gallons and 160 Knots , Don't believe me , Caruso has been in my plane more than once and seen those numbers ,    These are not comparable aircraft , it is a stupid comparison.... 

I’m curious, has your saw worked on more Mooneys or Bonanzas?

Clarence

6 hours ago, mooneyflyfast said:

The A36s that i have seen up to about 1979 had no baggage space whatever behind the 3rd. row of seats.  I believe it can be added by STC for about 5,000.  I have considered (and still am) an A36 mostly for the back door but I cant see my wife riding back there with baggage piled all around her. It would have to have the STC baggage or be a later model that came with it.  My J model baggage compartment looks small but you can fit in a surprising amount os stuff before you cube out if you load carefully.  She rides in the back seat of the J and the baggage is in the baggage compartment out sight and out of the way.

Beginning in 1979 the A36 got an expanded baggage compartment behind the back two seats.  The rear baggage is bigger than my old J model.  There's also a baggage area between the first two rows of seats.  There's plenty of room for a few large duffle bags in this area.  Loading is important as the emergency gear extension is in that same area, but there's a lot of room.

6 hours ago, Gagarin said:

The 3rd row is already too way far back to add baggage capacity behind. One significant advantage Mooneys have over the C172 and PA28 is that the baggage door allows access to the top of the baggage allowing to easily add more luggage on top. On the Mooneys the baggage door can be opened from inside allowing  passengers to exit in case an emergency

Nope.  The Mooney gets a bad rap for a lack load carrying ability (we both know it does just fine), but you're not going to win an ease of loading comparison against an A36.  The A36 doesn't have the same rear CG challenges as the 4 seat bonanzas, and with two back doors its much easier to load anything in the plane.  I'm sure we could get creative and come up with a few examples, but I can't think of any loading scenario of people + bags that's not easier to load in an A36.  Perhaps if you need to carry ping pong balls without putting them in a bag.... I don't know.. :)

The operating cost is lower in the Mooney (efficiency), and the way baggage is loaded is part of the trade off.  That's not a knock on a Mooney- just a trade offs.

Here we go.  Reasonable cruise speeds.  Great useful load.  Range and Maintenance are the down sides.   A bit less money than an A36

Cessna T210N, Turbo Centurion - Performance Data

Horsepower: 310 Gross Weight: 4000 lbs
Top Speed: 204 kts Empty Weight: 2303 lbs
Cruise Speed: 192 kts Fuel Capacity: 90 gal
Stall Speed (dirty): 58 kts Range: 715 nm
blank.gif  
Takeoff Landing
Ground Roll: 1300 ft Ground Roll 765 ft
Over 50 ft obstacle: 2160 ft Over 50 ft obstacle: 1500 ft
blank.gif  
Rate Of Climb: 930 fpm  
Ceiling: 27000 ft

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?make=CESSNA&model=210N&model=210M&model=210L&s-type=aircraft&s-page=1

38 minutes ago, chrisk said:

Here we go.  Reasonable cruise speeds.  Great useful load.  Range and Maintenance are the down sides.   A bit less money than an A36

Cessna T210N, Turbo Centurion - Performance Data

Horsepower: 310 Gross Weight: 4000 lbs
Top Speed: 204 kts Empty Weight: 2303 lbs
Cruise Speed: 192 kts Fuel Capacity: 90 gal
Stall Speed (dirty): 58 kts Range: 715 nm
blank.gif  
Takeoff Landing
Ground Roll: 1300 ft Ground Roll 765 ft
Over 50 ft obstacle: 2160 ft Over 50 ft obstacle: 1500 ft
blank.gif  
Rate Of Climb: 930 fpm  
Ceiling: 27000 ft

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?make=CESSNA&model=210N&model=210M&model=210L&s-type=aircraft&s-page=1

Not bad with a payload over 1,000 pounds for six passengers and easy access for the handicap or elderly so you can bring grandpa and the grandchildren with you.

I was looking at 210’s when I bought my B55.  Try to find a 210 that hasn’t been on it’s belly at least once.  Then look at replacing the gear saddle.  The 210 was an easy pass.  I’m sure some people are happy with them but to me it looked like the maintenance was close to twin ownership.  My B55 was about half the cost of a 210 at the time and it had boots.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:45 AM, Alan Fox said:

I fit half a Mooney , full fuel , and Anthony Caruso in my S35 and cruised at 160 knots burning 11.5

I prefer to burn a little more gas and go a little faster. 170 KTAS (+/- 3 KTAS depending on DA & weight) at 12.5 GPH.

A lot faster , bigger payload , carries more fuel , better quality , roomier , etc etc

Haven’t you been banned yet for speaking heresy on MooneySpace.

We used to hang your type on a Mooney spar by your little Beech toes.

BTW - when are you going to let me see Turtle’s ex-Mooney?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Are you describing a Comanche here on Mooneyspace, I’m flattered!

Clarence

Okay Doc, your Comanche is on a totally different playing field, maybe even planet...that monster is in a league all to itself.  ;)

The Cessna 172, 182, 210, etc don't get along with me to well.  I call them the forehead smashers.  Got the marks to prove it too.... :rolleyes:

Brian

27 minutes ago, flight2000 said:

The Cessna 172, 182, 210, etc don't get along with me to well.  I call them the forehead smashers.  Got the marks to prove it too.... :rolleyes:

Cessna's trademarked forehead diamonds! Gotta duck under those wings . . . .

15 hours ago, Marauder said:

Haven’t you been banned yet for speaking heresy on MooneySpace. emoji6.png

We used to hang your type on a Mooney spar by your little Beech toes.

BTW - when are you going to let me see Turtle’s ex-Mooney?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Turtles Mooney has been sold to a friend of mine 

On 11/25/2019 at 10:21 PM, Gagarin said:

On an A36 the baggage for six would go on the passengers lap.

This is why I laugh when you attempt to compare an A 36 to a J , Face the middle seats forward , remove the rear seats , you now have almost 3 times the cargo area , and 4 seats , and  300 lbs more payload...

2 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

Hey can we compare the Mooney to a Cessna Caravan ???   I heard the Mooney is more efficient....

:D :D That's exactly what many comparison threads come down to. I laughed as soon as I saw the title.  "Sports car vs living room. Which is better?" (the way I actually think of these two aircraft) came to mind immediately. Seems more a "my mission is better than yours" comparison than anything having to do with the airplanes themselves.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

:D :D That's exactly what many comparison threads come down to. I laughed as soon as I saw the title.  "Sports car vs living room. Which is better?" (the way I actually think of these two aircraft) came to mind immediately. Seems more a "my mission is better than yours" comparison than anything having to do with the airplanes themselves.

Just curious if you are considering the "Mooney as a sports car "  because that would be totally inaccurate ,  Mooney has never sold an aerobatic aircraft , Where as Beech has sold many aerobatic Bonanzas ...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hank said:

Cessna's trademarked forehead diamonds! Gotta duck under those wings . . . .

It wasn't the wings that got me, it was attempting to look out the side window....keep smacking my forehead on the side panels above the door...definitely prefer the Beech and Mooney windows.... :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

Hey can we compare the Mooney to a Cessna Caravan ???   I heard the Mooney is more efficient....

Strange that being more efficient Fed Ex still doesn’t use Mooneys!

Clarence

12 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

This is why I laugh when you attempt to compare an A 36 to a J , Face the middle seats forward , remove the rear seats , you now have almost 3 times the cargo area , and 4 seats , and  300 lbs more payload...

My C was the only single flying Hurricane Relief ot of RDU last year that listed more than 400 lb payload available. And I flew 3 hours including traffic deviation to land tonget there. With half tanks, I listed 600 lb. available (me, 200; alf fuel, 150; Useful, 970). Being a C, I crammed stuff everywhere but the right front seat and ran out of cube well before pounds.

My kinda plane!

• Like 3

Perhaps we should re name this thread Mooney bashing,  thank you Mr. Mooney for making the m20c otherwise people that make a normal income that aren't AP or IA's would be unable to fly anything that goes much faster than a hundred ten knots. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1