M20J vs A36

Gagarin

7 hours ago, Gagarin said:

Unlike the Mooneys on the A36 all rear passengers are seated behind the center of lift and there is no recliners like on the M20J. On my M20J  my wife (90 pounds) prefers to seat on the back seats because of the recliners and less noise.

DSC00676.JPG

But apparently no heat or head set jacks in the back.

Clarence

27 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

But apparently no heat or head set jacks in the back.

Clarence

This was in winter time at 13,000 ft coming from Virginia Tech after dropping my son not much heat on the rear seats. No need for headsets on the back seats is not that noisy she and I talk directly. She doesn't like listening  to the ATC chatting over the headset.

2 hours ago, Gagarin said:

This was in winter time at 13,000 ft coming from Virginia Tech after dropping my son not much heat on the rear seats. No need for headsets on the back seats is not that noisy she and I talk directly. She doesn't like listening  to the ATC chatting over the headset.

IDK about your plane, but ours is painfuly loud with no headset. Like 97dB loud.

• Like 2

I used to be partners in an F33A... I'll take my 252 over it all day long. I find the Mooney much more comfortable in both front and back seats. The Mooney cabin is also wider so more shoulder room. Not only am I going faster on less gas, the race is really over when I skip the fuel stop the Bo has to make.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jetdriven said:

IDK about your plane, but ours is painfuly loud with no headset. Like 97dB loud.

Try earplugs, they are very effective. In the front most of the noise comes from the glareshield reverberation. A friend of mine covered it with carpet cloth and it made such a big difference that he recovered all the side panels. It is so quiet that you can hear his mother in law praying with a rosary on the back seat.

Edited by Gagarin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, MIm20c said:

Sounds like you need to stop being such a CB at the rental desk...

...as I pick up the keys to my nice shiny Versa in the rental corral. 

We found it funny a couple of years ago on a trip to FL.  Me, Wife and two young boys (3 and 1 at the time) plus car seats and luggage.  We had more room in the J that the Kia Soul that waited on us at the FBO.  

On 11/22/2019 at 5:54 PM, Gagarin said:

A friend of mine interested on getting a high performance single asked me about the M20J and A36 Bonanza. Here are some my findings.

An M20J of same year is about $100k cheaper than an A36 and cost less to operate

An A36 have six seats capability but the rental cars I get at destinations can only seat 4  

On my 1982 M20J the back seats recline all the way for a very comfortable long trip. On the A36 they do not recline.

The A36 needs twice the runway length for take off and landing vs the M20J. These limits the accessibility to many GA airports, especially on an emergency. 

M20J specs

https://www.globalair.com/aircraft-for-sale/Specifications?specid=60

A36 specs

https://www.globalair.com/aircraft-for-sale/Specifications?specid=35

I have owned both , Twice the runway lenghth is incorrect , not even close , 

The seats in the A-36 can be faced forward , or backwards , They can also be removed in about 1 minute each , The A 36 , is capable of being stretched out to 4100 lbs ,  They have real landing gear , real fuel tanks , and a company that supports the product , and has continually for 65 years ,  Spar web cracks are VERY RARE , I personally have never seen them , wing bolts are not required , They have MUCH MORE ROOM , yes the Mooney cabin is 2 inches wider , It is also much rounder in the profile , The Bonanza is Roomier , I can and do run my Bonanza at 11.5 gallons and 160 Knots , Don't believe me , Caruso has been in my plane more than once and seen those numbers ,    These are not comparable aircraft , it is a stupid comparison.... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Browncbr1 said:

Is the a36 rear baggage area bigger than on a be58?   I thought they are the same?   Sure doesn’t seem any bigger than what I can fit in the mooney

I fit half a Mooney , full fuel , and Anthony Caruso in my S35 and cruised at 160 knots burning 11.5      The very early A 36 had a slightly smaller baggage area than the later , but still huge compared to a Mooney

• Like 1

Try earplugs, they are very effective. In the front most of the noise comes from the glareshield reverberation. A friend of mine covered it with carpet cloth and it made such a big difference that he recovered all the side panels. It is so quiet that you can hear his mother in law praying with a rosary on the back seat.

What is “carpet cloth”?

Tom

On 11/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, GeeBee said:

The problem with the PA 32 is again wings. The new wing spar attachment AD affects it as well as the PA28. Again you have to spend well into 200 AMU to get out of the serial number range of affected airframes. As it is, a lot of used PA32 have scab patches on the wings to take care of cracking. About everyone of them north of 3000TT usually have cracks. It is a real hauler, but the airframes are sagging under their age. 

I have personally not seen that. All of the PA 32’s I know, which  include sixes, Lances and vintage Saratoga’s like mine, have inspected clean.

• Like 1

Another option for a Mooney pilot is the

Piper Saratoga PA 32R

https://www.globalair.com/aircraft-for-sale/Specifications?specid=778

Their prices are not as high as the A36 and more comparable to the long fuselage Mooneys but with six seats. I don't see a competitive market for Mooney when you can get a six seater for the same money from a company still in business.

Edited by Gagarin

7 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

Um no its not

The A36s that i have seen up to about 1979 had no baggage space whatever behind the 3rd. row of seats.  I believe it can be added by STC for about 5,000.  I have considered (and still am) an A36 mostly for the back door but I cant see my wife riding back there with baggage piled all around her. It would have to have the STC baggage or be a later model that came with it.  My J model baggage compartment looks small but you can fit in a surprising amount os stuff before you cube out if you load carefully.  She rides in the back seat of the J and the baggage is in the baggage compartment out sight and out of the way.

17 minutes ago, mooneyflyfast said:

The A36s that i have seen up to about 1979 had no baggage space whatever behind the 3rd. row of seats.  I believe it can be added by STC for about 5,000.  I have considered (and still am) an A36 mostly for the back door but I cant see my wife riding back there with baggage piled all around her. It would have to have the STC baggage or be a later model that came with it.  My J model baggage compartment looks small but you can fit in a surprising amount os stuff before you cube out if you load carefully.  She rides in the back seat of the J and the baggage is in the baggage compartment out sight and out of the way.

The 3rd row is already too way far back to add baggage capacity behind. One significant advantage Mooneys have over the C172 and PA28 is that the baggage door allows access to the top of the baggage allowing to easily add more luggage on top. On the Mooneys the baggage door can be opened from inside allowing  passengers to exit in case an emergency

Edited by Gagarin