Mooney and Ferrari

Eight8Victor

Reminds me of the Top Gear “race” from Italy to London with some super car vs. a C182.  Of course, they designed it so the car could win (public transit to the airport, can’t fly at night, so they have to land in France, public transit to London, etc).  BTW, given that I live 90 min away from a major airline serviced airport, the Mooney is faster than commercial air for anything less than ~500 nm.  

• Like 2

Good article @Eight8Victor, I can say this... What is one's sanity worth! I live in La Mesa, CA and my wife resides in Winchester CA. We don't cohabitate because of work, commute times, and retirement plans. It's 77SM door to door. On average it's well over two hours of stressful SOCAL driving. Going north it is consistently over two and a half hours of sitting in traffic. Flying is so much more relaxing. 

When I start the commute north via Mooney travel, it's--a stress induced--45 minutes to the J from work, which is the same as my drive home. It is 5-20 minutes from preflight to liftoff. My average wheels up to down is 24 minutes. It takes us 10 minutes to button up the J and travel to her residence, for an average of 98 to 110 minutes of Mooney travel. With my fuzzy math I save between 40 to 50 minutes of time but I also save my/our sanity.

Her commute is a lot less stressful because she is driving opposite the normal SOCAL commute but it's still longer than it is when I pick her up in our Mooney. I estimate that I save her between 15 to 20 minutes each way and I GET TO FLY!

I hate driving in SOCAL and can't wait for fully autonomous cars, although I hate to think what they will do to my driving experience when he roads open up on the weekends and the subsequent impact on flying in the future. Everyone in SOCAL drives/speeds either bumper to bumper and cut-throat or they are the dumb-a$$' in the passing lane driving side-by-side with the vehicle they are supposed to be passing. The dumb-a$$'s are usually driving side-by side under the speed limit, while everyone around them is road raging and driving recklessly trying to get around them. 

Regards,

Jon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Comet said:

Reminds me of the Top Gear “race” from Italy to London with some super car vs. a C182.  Of course, they designed it so the car could win (public transit to the airport, can’t fly at night, so they have to land in France, public transit to London, etc).  BTW, given that I live 90 min away from a major airline serviced airport, the Mooney is faster than commercial air for anything less than ~500 nm.  

I think it’s more like anything 700-800 or less door to door.

• Like 3

Especially if you feel like going today or tomorrow...

Or you are going to bring a friend or two...

I started to learn how to fly because you can’t drive 80+ on public streets around here...

Too crowded, too expensive when you get caught...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

I started to learn how to fly because you can’t drive 80+ on public streets around here...

Best regards,

-a-

You can't drive that fast much, and you probably shouldn't fly your Mooney that slow very much, either!  :lol:

I just made a quick tube trip, ATL-BOS; made reservations Tues morning, flew up Wed afternoon and back Fri afternoon. Had many choices and the price was quite reasonable. Rental car was $33/day, totaling $125--soak the visitors!

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 10:26 PM, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

Same same, it is a 1:40 to STL from my house, so sub 500, the Mooney wins...except mid fall through early spring when the stinking ice machine fires up. :angry:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Same same, it is a 1:40 to STL from my house, so sub 500, the Mooney wins...except mid fall through early spring when the stinking ice machine fires up. :angry:

Being 2 hours from ATL, my Mooney beats the airlines beyond 500 nm. My level cruise speed envelope at travel altitudes so far is 68-186 knots ground speed, 145-ish KTAS. So it varies . . . .

On 11/22/2019 at 2:58 AM, Comet said:

I bet two of my friends flying an airliner from door to their destination airport on a similar 400nm leg flying an Archer (on a Mooney, I would have been in a swimming pool waiting :D)

On a winter day like today, they could win that London-Bergerac challenge with a donkey...