Short field

Planegary

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

You're going to float for days if you're light at that speed.

-Robert

1.3 x vso? Between 75 and 80. Its been awhile but thats how i remember doing it. Only time i ever had a problem with float was when my idle was a bit high. At 72mph there didnt seem to be much energy left to flare. This was in an e though. But thats not the point. Point is 2300 is plenty long enough.

Edited by Pete M

thanks for all of the great input. I cannot move because my hanger is at the short strip and i have been bringing the mooney in and out of there alresdy with no close calls i just seemed to float a little and wanted confirmation on approach speeds. it seems like my speeds were pretty much on point already but maybe 2-3 kts fast so i will creep the speeds down a little more. this all started because of hearsay comments to me and i wanted to see how others were doing it

Sounds like you're doing well. I fly a simole pattern, 90 mph downwind and base with Takeoff flaps, roll wings level on final at 85 mph  and slow down to 75 mph before the numbers, reducing speed another 5 mph for every 300 lb below gross that I am for that partucular landing. Going to your field, like the 2000 foot grass strip I used to live near, just don't be fast or high. 

23 hours ago, Planegary said:

thanks for all of the great input. I cannot move because my hanger is at the short strip and i have been bringing the mooney in and out of there alresdy with no close calls i just seemed to float a little and wanted confirmation on approach speeds. it seems like my speeds were pretty much on point already but maybe 2-3 kts fast so i will creep the speeds down a little more. this all started because of hearsay comments to me and i wanted to see how others were doing it

Well, you have your answer(s) ranging from “no sweat” to “you’re gonna die.” That’s the Mooney mystique. Truth is all similarly certified GA airplanes stall at 61 kts or less and all can easily land on a 2000 foot runway if flown precisely. The long span flaps and short gear make the Mooney more sensitive to ground effect than others and this increases float if you are a bit fast, so in that respect they are a bit less forgiving. 

The Cirrus has the highest stall speed of any comparable airplane and I used to fly in and out of KPAO which is a bit less than 2500’ and it never felt short. 

Skip

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 4:57 PM, Pete M said:

1.3 x vso? Between 75 and 80. Its been awhile but thats how i remember doing it. Only time i ever had a problem with float was when my idle was a bit high. At 72mph there didnt seem to be much energy left to flare. This was in an e though. But thats not the point. Point is 2300 is plenty long enough.

For the OP, check your idle speed after a flight. Don't count the speed rpm when you are on final and pull the throttle because the prop is still windmilling and you are probably seeing about 1000. Once you are stopped, pull the throttle and see what you are idling at. You want it between 500-700, and the closer to 500 the less float you will have. 

• Like 1

For landings, I can get always away with 1800ft without breaks by flying 10kts above stall bellow that factors like wind, temperature, fuel, weight and if we had lunch gets into the picture :D

On soft wet runways, 2400ft is about a good number for my takeoffs

My home base is 1700ft and has both grass and tarmac but I don't visit unfamiliar grass places if they are not above 2200ft maybe worth a visit by car or better in a 90hp Super Cub to check how high the trees at the end of the runway, if I feel surprised probably not a good idea in a Mooney even with 200hp ;)

3 hours ago, Ibra said:

For landings, I can get always away with 1800ft without breaks by flying 10kts above stall bellow that factors like wind, temperature, fuel, weight and if we had lunch gets into the picture :D

On soft wet runways, 2400ft is about a good number for my takeoffs

My home base is 1700ft and has both grass and tarmac but I don't visit unfamiliar grass places if they are not above 2200ft maybe worth a visit by car or better in a 90hp Super Cub to check how high the trees at the end of the runway, if I feel surprised probably not a good idea in a Mooney even with 200hp ;)

I know i shouldnt...but....super cubs 150/160....j3's are 90 or 65 depending...sorry...:)

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

I know i shouldnt...but....super cubs 150/160....j3's are 90 or 65 depending...sorry...:)

why C90/95 are not powerful enough? but here is the baby and "super cub" is on her birth certificate, calling it J3 is a mistake :D

Did not know Mooney had a 21hp, what speed do you get 21mph !

20191124_233922.png

Screenshot_20191124-233958.png

20180114_150143.jpg

They were made in several variations and flap configurations as the original tc was modified. The 90hp variant was an early option and without flaps like the j3. Relatively few were produced. Super cubs are generally expected to have flaps and  o320's in them but i imagine you could find an old variant if you looked hard enough.

Yes this one produced along original type certificate with Continental and it was almost identical to J3

I did visit the grass strip underneath in the Mooney (550m/1600ft), I need a cold dry day with gin clear sky and +20kts bonus wind on the runway, you don't get that many weekends like that in London (UK), especially dry day & clear sky :)