uAvionics (Aerovonics) AV-30 - $1995

Jeev

uAvioinix informed me that approval is expected early 2020 (Caution FAA timelines) and they are taking pre orders for the AV-30.

I have already ordered one for my aircraft and a few for local customers and I am really excited to install and sell these! The AV-30 embodies my mission to bring new affordable tech to our legacy aircraft that improve safety and reliability.

I am not taking any payments until we have FAA approval and are ready to ship. If you would like to pre order please go to my website via the link below and select "preorder" during check out to submit the order with out payment.

I have links to video's and manuals on this site as well : https://wolfaviationsales.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fuavionix-av-30-certified-pre-order

Sanjeev 
Wolf Aviation 

sanjeev@wolfaviationsales.com

702-430-2255

1.jpg

0619_BOTH_AeroVonics-AV-20_AV-30-Large-DG-for-web.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jeev said:

uAvioinix informed me that approval is expected early 2020 (Caution FAA timelines) and they are taking pre orders for the AV-30.

I have already ordered one for my aircraft and a few for local customers and I am really excited to install and sell these! The AV-30 embodies my mission to bring new affordable tech to our legacy aircraft that improve safety and reliability.

I am not taking any payments until we have FAA approval and are ready to ship. If you would like to pre order please go to my website via the link below and select "preorder" during check out to submit the order with out payment.

I have links to video's and manuals on this site as well : https://wolfaviationsales.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fuavionix-av-30-certified-pre-order

Sanjeev 
Wolf Aviation 

sanjeev@wolfaviationsales.com

702-430-2255

1.jpg

0619_BOTH_AeroVonics-AV-20_AV-30-Large-DG-for-web.jpg

That's good news.  Will it be certified with enough function to drive our autopilots?  That is really a well priced unit as its about what I payed last spring to overhaul my KI256.

• Like 1

I pre-ordered two (one for an AI and one for a DG) I think about 10 months ago. $100 deposit on each and when uAvonix bought Aerovonics they said they will still honor the original price of $1,495 on pre-orders. I'm glad I got in on that, but even at $2,000 I think I would go this way over some of the other options. I like the features and I really like the way it preserves the vintage round instrument look. 

As to the time line, if I recall correctly Aerovonics was saying a year ago that they thought they were just about there. I am hopeful that Q2 of next year they will be available, but if it's longer than that I can wait. Not holding my breath, but hopeful. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tmo said:

+1 on the q about being a KI256 replacement and driving the autopilots - in my case a KFC200.

If we scroll to the bottom of this page

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/#features

it says APA-mini autopilot adaptor - for legacy STEC autopilots "coming in 2020" and future autopilot adaptations are planned.  That does not sound like yours (and mine also ) KFC200 are upcoming very soon at all.

5 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

One does wonder why the Stec rather than Century or BK, as to my knowledge BK and Century outnumber APs of,other brands in the planes most likely to upgrade their APs

I dunno - my guess one of a few things.

-some airplanes they have available have the spec so low hanging fruit - or otherwise personal interests in STEC for airplanes they like.

-maybe they already have more know how in house re STEC?

-or anyway its their judgement to go STEC first.

As I understand it (and I'll defer to an actual avionics expert here), the reason for STEC being first is that the interface is just the single heading deviation input (and I assume for the -60 and above, an altitude deviation input).  Other APs need more inputs (I think for the gyros?), so they are more complicated to interface with.

• Like 2

Why won’t any of these fancy new AI’s output pitch, roll, or both even for non-certified experimentals? There must be some sort of secret sauce that they discovered in the 50’s and the recipe died with the avionics engineers.
uAvionix-AeroVonics would sell THOUSANDS and thousands of these if they would simply allow a dongle off the back that could plug-and-play into legacy autopilots.
Seems like the industry is getting close though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Why won’t any of these fancy new AI’s output pitch, roll, or both even for non-certified experimentals? There must be some sort of secret sauce that they discovered in the 50’s and the recipe died with the avionics engineers.
uAvionix-AeroVonics would sell THOUSANDS and thousands of these if they would simply allow a dongle off the back that could plug-and-play into legacy autopilots.

Certification wise I think there is a huge jump between a simple course error correction and being fully responsible for AP control. The $4k Garmin, $2.5k aspen, and all the trouble BK has had speed volumes to me. 

I actually think Aspen should take advantage of this short(ish) term need and lower the price of the ea100 to $800-1k.  I think that would really help the sales of the E5 and pro units.  A package deal of $6500 for an E5, D/A converter, ea100 would be a huge seller IMO and fill a gap in the market for all the BK and Century customers  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Most likely all of them can, but the interfaces are different (vacuum is whacky at best, analog has polarity and voltage ranges to deal with on multiple possible inputs, and digital is a whole new level of complexity beyond that).  ARINC-429 theoretically addresses all that, but it came after the legacy APs in our vintage Mooneys and frankly misses the mark a bit by having multiple different ways to drive an AP (like just about every other "standard" in the digital realm, it's only a standard if everyone actually follows it...).

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 4:03 AM, aviatoreb said:

If we scroll to the bottom of this page

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/#features

it says APA-mini autopilot adaptor - for legacy STEC autopilots "coming in 2020" and future autopilot adaptations are planned.  That does not sound like yours (and mine also ) KFC200 are upcoming very soon at all.

Correct, it looks like they are trying to fast track the AV-30 then get the autopilot adapters approved separately starting with STEC.  Based on timeframe I would not bank on it if you need it to drive your AP, it may be a while.  What a lot of my customers are doing is planning to buy the AV-30, installing it in the primary spot and moving the vac AI down to standby position, leaving it in the panel to drive the AP.  Hopefully the AP adapter will be approved before that VAC AI needs an overhaul.... 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 6:20 AM, nosky2high said:

Any chance it will providing heading bug info to the TruTrak while functioning as a DG?

Not sure on that one yet, there has been no word from either company.  The AV-30 was designed by a few of the founders of Aspen so hopefully it will be just as easy to interface with the TT.