Best type rating to have

RobertGary1

A jet warbird type rating will take a day or two of classroom study, a day or so at the plane studying the systems and servicing procedures along with preflight and such.

Expect 10 to 15 hours of training before your check ride. The examiner will charge you $500-$1000. The check ride will be 1-2 flights (1 hr).

Expect that plane to burn $1200/hr in fuel. It will cost a couple of hundred $/hr for the aircraft and instructor.

Not for the weak of wallet.

Ive trained for the T33 and MiG 15 type ratings. I chickened out when the fuel truck pulled up.

• Like 1

I think if I were to do one 'for fun' it would be the DC-3. No turbine engine conversion though, has to be the real-deal!

I have 4 types on my cert, 2 turboprop, 2 transport jet. A 2-month ordeal for each one. Someone else had better be paying for it, and a decent salary, it is very much a job....

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

I have 6 type ratings all useful, but in the totally useless department, I have always wanted to go to Coulson and get rated on the Martin Mars

http://www.martinmars.com

I've strongly considered getting the MES just because its a very simple add on if you already have SES and MEL. Makes for a fun weekend.

-Robert

1 hour ago, Immelman said:

I think if I were to do one 'for fun' it would be the DC-3. No turbine engine conversion though, has to be the real-deal!

I have 4 types on my cert, 2 turboprop, 2 transport jet. A 2-month ordeal for each one. Someone else had better be paying for it, and a decent salary, it is very much a job....

You can just do it as an SIC type rating. Unless you think its realistic you'll get offered a job flying DC-3's the SIC type rating looks just as sexy on your certificate.

-Robert

54 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

You can just do it as an SIC type rating. Unless you think its realistic you'll get offered a job flying DC-3's the SIC type rating looks just as sexy on your certificate.

-Robert

I got my DC-3 type rating 15 years ago. It was about 12 hours of flying mainly on instruments. Got my ATP at the same time since it's the same ride. Only tricky parts of flying the DC-3 are taxiing straight and landing without a bounce -- everything else is easy. It finally came in handy a couple of years ago when I was flying right seat in a museum DC-3, so you never know what opportunities might arise.

Another option between a full type rating and a SIC is to get a type rating with a VFR-only limitation. This is what most of the warbird guys do. You get more time flying VFR and it's less expensive than a type rating without the limitation.

Skip

2 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Another option between a full type rating and a SIC is to get a type rating with a VFR-only limitation. This is what most of the warbird guys do. You get more time flying VFR and it's less expensive than a type rating without the limitation.

Skip

Not a bad idea. Who's likely to fly an ME-262 in the clouds today? Although I guess that limits altitude.

-Robert

6 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

We like to argue how much a type rating is fun vs just work. However, a type rating in an ME-262 couldn't possibly feel like work!

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/vmf-flight-experiences-flight-training-programs/ (scroll to bottom)

What other type rating would beat that?

-Robert

I vote "Type A" if you are "The one who dies with the most toys wins!" oriented and "Type B" if your are a quality of life person....

Why not think BIG  --- A380!  Unless the AF will give you a C-5 rating :-)

Given my druthers? I would have gotten a Concord rating, 

Always wanted to go in for a job interview and when asked what I have for time just say- Oh, only about 15,000 hrs---------------------------------------------------------------------- above the speed of sound!  :-)

I know a gal who 36 years ago got a type in a DC-10. No jet time, no previous type ratings just MEL. Did it all on her own. 

4 hours ago, cliffy said:

Why not think BIG  --- A380!  Unless the AF will give you a C-5 rating :-)

Given my druthers? I would have gotten a Concord rating, 

Always wanted to go in for a job interview and when asked what I have for time just say- Oh, only about 15,000 hrs---------------------------------------------------------------------- above the speed of sound!  :-)

I know a gal who 36 years ago got a type in a DC-10. No jet time, no previous type ratings just MEL. Did it all on her own. 

I’m assuming she did all that in a sim? Was that even an option back in ‘83?  Seems the federal government was busy with operation Able Archer back then.

6 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I’m assuming she did all that in a sim? Was that even an option back in ‘83?  Seems the federal government was busy with operation Able Archer back then.

There were in airplane type ratings back then. I know a few that paid for their 727 type back then. 

A CE500 or 525S type would be of good value as it’s getting hard to find contractors for some of the smaller jets. Many crews are getting sucked up by the airlines and the corporate guys were flying the smaller types find it hard to pass up 2500/day for a g650 trip. We often go 5-6 deep in our contractor pools to find guys. 
-Matt

A couple of short stories-

Way back when I was offered a job with FedEx when they had just a few Falcon jets. I was told all I needed was to get my Falcon rating and I had a job waiting. I turned it down as at the time "no one paid for their own type ratings".  That was the common mantra back then. BIG mistake.

Years later after flying right seat around the world in a corporate 727 for a while, I paid for my own 727 type rating. That actually paid off real nice in the following years. Different time, different outcome. 

Even later on I was offered a job with a start up 737 airline straight to the left seat (single digit seniority number) but they were trying to cut down start up costs so everyone needed to pay for their 737 rating first with the promise that the airline would pay them back in one year. I looked at their plan and went for it. Paid off very nicely with a good job until I decided to go elsewhere many years later AND they did pay us back at year 1. 

Unlike today, jobs back then where not around every corner. No one for the most part could make a living as a "contract pilot". Unless you were "astronaut qualified" or had a brother-in-law at the airline you didn't get in, period. If you were over 30 you didn't get in. Pilots were on every street corner looking for jobs. Viet Nam war was over and lots of military pilots were walking the streets. 

It would have been nice to be able to convert  my CE-500 rating into a daily pay check back then when I was walking the street looking. A different time, a different flying world.  

Now with 6 type ratings I'm retired and have no use for them :-) And very glad for it!!!

Every day is Saturday  Maybe I'll go fishing today while you schmucks go to work :-) :-)

• Like 2