Replacement for my Mooney arrived

Sabremech

16 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Does it have a parachute?

(hahah - just kidding!!!)

You Dawg!  I'm coming for a ride!!

I was so going to use that and say that's why my wife let me get it, but I thought I shouldn't stir that up! 

• Like 1

Still can't go in back and pee like you can in a  Boeing!  :-) :-)

At 18 yrs old I was a crew member on #64 Clay Lacy's P-51  Its still at KVNY in the purple color. Good story on that color. His sponsor was Al Paulson and Paulson  had a lot of purple paint when the 51 needed a paint job so----------

BTW, Paulson also started Gulfstream the jet builder. 

IIRC they were designed for a life of 400 hrs during the war. IIRC.

I had a friend that bought one in a crate in the late 50s for $7000 Brand new, still in cosmoline!!!!

Nice hangar neighbor. 

Mission change...

http://www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org.

I thought going turbine would be a challenge...

Trying to get my whole family in the P51 would definitely be interesting...

Some careers come with interesting additional responsibilities... :)

Share some more pictures when able...

Best regards,

-a-

11 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Still can't go in back and pee like you can in a  Boeing!  :-) :-)

At 18 yrs old I was a crew member on #64 Clay Lacy's P-51  Its still at KVNY in the purple color. Good story on that color. His sponsor was Al Paulson and Paulson  had a lot of purple paint when the 51 needed a paint job so----------

BTW, Paulson also started Gulfstream the jet builder. 

IIRC they were designed for a life of 400 hrs during the war. IIRC.

I had a friend that bought one in a crate in the late 50s for $7000 Brand new, still in cosmoline!!!!

Nice hangar neighbor. 

I think I posted this one here somewhere once before. I shared it with my dad who flew C-130's for about 7 of his 20 years in the Air Force.

A C-130 was lumbering along when a cocky F-16 flashed by.  

The jet jockey decided to show off.  

The fighter jock told the C-130 pilot, 'Watch this!' and promptly went into a barrel roll followed by a steep climb. He then finished with a sonic boom as he broke the sound barrier.

The F-16 pilot asked the C-130 pilot what he thought of that? 

The C-130 pilot said, 'That was impressive, but watch this!' 

The C-130 droned along for about 5 minutes and then the C-130 pilot came back on and said: 'What did you think of that?' 

Puzzled, the F-16 pilot asked, 'What the heck did you do?'

The C-130 pilot chuckled. 'I stood up, stretched my legs, walked to the back, took a leak, then got a cup of coffee and a cinnamon roll.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, rbridges said:

I figured as much.  Just wondering what integer starts it.  :lol:

Here is a good place to give you an idea of the cost.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/165401233/1944-north-american-p-51-mustang

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/33682355/1945-north-american-p-51-mustang

and there are a few more for sale.

Or if you want a project and get your foot in the door, there is this... :D

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/30238905/1945-north-american-p-51-mustang

17 hours ago, cliffy said:

Nice hangar neighbor. 

I heard at one point in the late 50's the military had a bunch of then just rotting on the ramp. They sold them all off for under a grand. I suspect they only kept them around for pilot currency and the pilots had probably lost interest in them. I read that some of them didn't have radios and the military pilots who took them out for a spin would just look for a signal from the tower. 

In fact I read one story of a cargo pilot (forget what he flew ) who was tired of the fighter pilots teasing the cargo guys so he walked into the squadron building and claimed he was checked out in the P-51. So they let him go fly their crappier one (again, these were used for punching holes in the sky by this time, they had long lost their military value). He took it up and said it flew just fine and was able to retort the fighter jocks next time he got teased.

-Robert