Replacement for my Mooney arrived

Sabremech

11 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Definitely full scale! 

Really??! Impressive! Your hangar must be huge, comparing the -51's wingspan against the door. I know someone with one of the reduced replicas, thought maybe you were, too.

Now I can say that I "know" someone with the real thing!  :P

18 minutes ago, bonal said:

Is that really yours? If so there are no words to do it justice other than let me know if you need someone to help with your transition training I am available.

I better fess up before this gets out of hand. It’s only mine in terms of maintenance. It is operated by the Warbird Heritage Foundation of which I am a Director. It will be keeping my Mooney company for a couple of weeks. It’s NL51VL for anyone who wants to check it out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can you give a pirep on maintenance?  Is it intensive per flight hour? TBO super low or are the engines decently durable for heritage type flights these birds see now?  I’m sure the parts stream is somewhat constrained but I’d expect that for a 75 year old plane too. 

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Really??! Impressive! Your hangar must be huge, comparing the -51's wingspan against the door. I know someone with one of the reduced replicas, thought maybe you were, too.

Now I can say that I "know" someone with the real thing!  :P

Could also be clipped wings. Many do that to increase top speed on the 51's.

-Robert

6 hours ago, Sabremech said:

I’ll be selling my C model next year and I wanted a replacement for it before selling it. My replacement is now in the hangar! 

09260453-9AC8-4311-9DA6-5EFE1B9CAB1A.jpeg

You DAWG you!

Either that is a 3/4 scale replica - or you have a very big hangar and it is actually far away.

..and of course everyone here knows I like 4 blades.

1 hour ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Can you give a pirep on maintenance?  Is it intensive per flight hour? TBO super low or are the engines decently durable for heritage type flights these birds see now?  I’m sure the parts stream is somewhat constrained but I’d expect that for a 75 year old plane too. 

The maintenance isn't really bad for this airplane. We've had the radiator exit air actuator fail a time or two and some misc hydraulic leaks here and there. We had to recently get the radiator overhauled but it had been in service for over 25 years. Engines are pretty good and can run beyond 1000 hours with minimal issues. Parts are not too difficult to find as there are several companies making new parts to support the fleet along with the airplanes being restored. 

48 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Could also be clipped wings. Many do that to increase top speed on the 51's.

-Robert

Definitely not clipped wings. The only people who do that are racing at Reno and not operating that as a regular flyer. 

40 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

You DAWG you!

Either that is a 3/4 scale replica - or you have a very big hangar and it is actually far away.

..and of course everyone here knows I like 4 blades.

Yep, It's a big hangar. I think its a 60x80 hangar with doors on both ends. My Mooney is on one end and the P51 on the other end. 

David

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

The maintenance isn't really bad for this airplane. We've had the radiator exit air actuator fail a time or two and some misc hydraulic leaks here and there. We had to recently get the radiator overhauled but it had been in service for over 25 years. Engines are pretty good and can run beyond 1000 hours with minimal issues. Parts are not too difficult to find as there are several companies making new parts to support the fleet along with the airplanes being restored. 

Definitely not clipped wings. The only people who do that are racing at Reno and not operating that as a regular flyer. 

Yep, It's a big hangar. I think its a 60x80 hangar with doors on both ends. My Mooney is on one end and the P51 on the other end. 

David

WOW- is it a real p51?