Zero oil pressure on start

Igor_U

Fuel pump failure I have had at the end of the flight made me forget about oil pressure issue at the start up.

After engine start, I had Zero oil pressure! 
BTW, EI CGR30P engine monitor and my IO360 A1A always indicates high (my IA suggests to leave it as is.) and that can be annoying as it’s just over 100 psi at the startup and engine monitor flashes red. I shut down after maybe 30 sec or so.

Oil pressure sensor is on Firewall (engine side) as per EI install instructions.
I’ve disconnected the oil hose and had to turn one or two prop turns for oil overflowing and re-connected the hose.
Upon the engine start OP was instantly normal, around 100 psi as always when cold… No indication issues during 2+ hour flight.

I don’t think this is a developing issue with oil pressure sensor but what can it be?
Air in the system (hose going to the sensor)? 
This happened once before (a year ago) and was fixed the same way as this time.

What do you gays say?
Makes me go back to old gauge and “ignorance is bliss” method. ;)

Thank you.

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Sounds like it may be a sensor issue... either powering it or grounding it... or connecting it to the instrument...

PP thoughts only, not a sensor guy...

Best regards,

-a-

I would bet a bunch on this opinion. It would seem almost inconceivable that the mechanical aspects of oil pressure would be bad and then cure themselves.

• Like 1

I spoke to EI support and they recommended testing the transducer. 100ps air pressure on the unit should result in 50mV between green and white signal wire.

I'll have to check the connections again next time in hangar; it is possible I wiggled the wires when disconnecting the oil hose but it all looked very solid to me. I understand transducer can fail but this is only at the engine start - inflight pressure is solid.