Engine fuel pump failure

Igor_U

I flew a bunch of instrument approaches this weekend for my currency (never a problem in Seattle) and upon landing at KPAE I cleared the active and got taxi clearance in front of waiting Horizon E175 by the terminal.

Engine stumbled and basically stopped while I was thinking I might need assistance and they'll be pissed for me blocking them. I manage to keep it going with electric fuel pump and taxi to the hangar. Engine is IO360-A1A with almost new Tempest LW15473. Pump was replaced less then 2y ago and has 98h! This should really not fail so soon.

What are your experience and should I just ordered the same pump again?

I've read about high fuel pressure on some Lycoming pumps and would like to avoid that, having EI CGR30 engine monitor that will be flashing and turn red. 

Also, what is the reasonable time to install these? I seem to remember it took a while last time as my IA had an access problem on my M20F.

Regards,

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2019 at 2:40 PM, Yetti said:

I bought the rebuild but should have just got new as they are $50 more or so.   Replaced with the mags on.   had to sacrifice a 5/16 allen wrench.   About 4 hours to replace.   About 6 hours the first time.

You said you replaced the fuel pump without removing the mag.   Do you have any advice or hints?  Thanks.

3 hours ago, wburger1 said:

You said you replaced the fuel pump without removing the mag.   Do you have any advice or hints?  Thanks.

I sacrificed a 5/16 allan wrench about 2" long.  Then use a socket and drive to turn it.    The key is to get the plunger in the most up position.  Turn prop and feel plunger with finger.   Be able to work by feel not by sight.  

On 12/30/2019 at 6:27 PM, Yetti said:

I sacrificed a 5/16 allan wrench about 2" long.  Then use a socket and drive to turn it.    The key is to get the plunger in the most up position.  Turn prop and feel plunger with finger.   Be able to work by feel not by sight.  

Thank you Yeti.  I will try that tomorrow.  FYI we were both born on Earth Day!