Surefly ignition

jamesm

I bought  a Surefly EIS  back in March because my right  Bendix magneto was missing slightly but  mysteriously went away. the slight miss  problem went way after buying Surefly. And now it's back manifesting  itself as not so oblivious as which side is causing the issue . I checked and cleaned  and the plugs where fine. When  I was compared EGT and CHT  they seemed normal to me when compered to previous runs when the Ignition was running  fine. A few months back I had switch from Insight G3 to CGR30P for my CHT&EGT, fuel flow last year I had installed  CGR30C to replace the analog engine instruments and gauges.The CHT's Delta was 57 degrees between high an low and  EGT delta 30 degree between high an low .    Right mag 500 hr is up in  something like 86 hrs and left mag has  186 hrs left.  I had  it repair several years ago the paper cap had failed it was missing  then  it got real bad and noticeable.  I suspect it is the Magneto .

After reading and searching on  some other  threads and post  sound like the left  side would be a better choice.

It has been awhile since I have heard anything on the sure fly ignition. I was wondering  on those who have installed them what their impression were.

Thanks in advance,

James '67C

I installed the Surefly SIM4N several months ago and I like it a lot. I think it's a big improvement over mags.  

My installation was done by @AGL Aviationat KMRN. Lynn has installed several Surefly EIS now as well as other brands of EI. He expects to install a good many more Surefly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jamesm said:

Interesting they sold me SIM4N wonder what the difference is between SEM and SIM ?

My bad. Spelling was from memory, not a good idea. Edited above.

(And as pointed out above the difference between "N" and "P" deals with the difference in the set off dimension caused by the IC. My M20E had shower of sparks not impulse couple so it got the "N".)

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I installed the Surefly SIM4N several months ago and I like it a lot. I think it's a big improvement over mags.  

My installation was done by @AGL Aviationat KMRN. Lynn has installed several Surefly EIS now as well as other brands of EI. He expects to install a good many more Surefly.

how long did it take?  could they do it same day?  or is it a pretty lengthy process?

3 minutes ago, rbridges said:

how long did it take?  could they do it same day?  or is it a pretty lengthy process?

1/2 day. Pretty easy. Biggest task is running a wire from the battery to the SIM. (If the plane is a C with the battery on the firewall even easier.) 

If there's a electronic tach and it's tapped into the left mag it would get moved to the remaining mag. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

On my plane, I think :D

Yep, sorry I missed you, Jon! When I came by AGL Tamara said you hadn't been gone 5 minutes.

That's one sweet E! I love the way the new(?) paint accents the classic rear window line. Have you posted any pics here?

48 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Yep, sorry I missed you, Jon! When I came by AGL Tamara said you hadn't been gone 5 minutes.

That's one sweet E! I love the way the new(?) paint accents the classic rear window line. Have you posted any pics here?

OPPS Thread drift. Bob I sure did: 

Hopefully I can give a decent review of the Surefly on my flight back to Rucker, probably early December.

28 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

I'm curious about how the push-to-start function works now. I assume it's exactly the same- you must still push to start? Would be nice to be able to swap out that ignition switch for the simpler one- is that addressed in the instructions, if you are replacing the left magneto on a shower of sparks system?

On my plane, a M20E with SoS, we replaced the the left mag and disabled the SoS. The start key was not changed out and works the same as before from the pilot's perspective. I think there was some change to the wiring to/from the switch but @AGL Aviation could answer that detail.  

• Like 1