How to contact Sabre mechanic about SB20-217

ELT

Hi

My inspector requested me to find him a contact for information on doing an access panel to install the sb20-217 kit.   I see that Dave has done this.  How can I contact Dave by phone or email?  I can be contacted by 919.819.3451 or edwin.l.todd@gmail.com.

Don Maxwell suggested taking rivets out off a belly panel to access.  Has anyone done this?

thanks for any help

Eddie

3 hours ago, ELT said:

Hi

My inspector requested me to find him a contact for information on doing an access panel to install the sb20-217 kit.   I see that Dave has done this.  How can I contact Dave by phone or email?  I can be contacted by 919.819.3451 or edwin.l.todd@gmail.com.

Don Maxwell suggested taking rivets out off a belly panel to access.  Has anyone done this?

thanks for any help

Eddie

With the flap area cover removed you can access most of the rear spar.  Start at the back of the baggage compartment floor and drill out enough rivets to gently lift/ roll the floor forward to allow fitting and riveting of the reinforcement doublers.

Clarence

I did this SB a few years ago.  The instructions for compliance are very well written and very clear.  I can't speak for Don Maxwell or his folks, but I am very sure he was not implying removing any external belly skins.

I bought my SB parts from LASAR.  They said that they had some experience with cutting access holes in the baggage compartment floor (since it's non structural) and simply patching the holes when finished.  That's what I did.  It might've saved me 2 hours' time, total.

In hindsight, I would do the job exactly per the SB by drilling the rivets from the baggage floor.  Clarence describes this above.  Just like he said, start at the back and work forward until you can peel up enough of the floor to accomplish the SB.

It sounds like your mechanic is looking for a shortcut, if one is available.  There really isn't one.  It sounds like you're on good terms with him- I'd suggest doing everything you can to remove your baggage compartment interior and your rear seat to make things smoother for him.  Good luck, it's kind of a pain but not really that difficult.

Hi Eddie,

Yep, I did mine with making a simple access panel in the floor of my baggage compartment. I had spoken with someone, think it was Paul Loewen about it and found that I'd much rather make a simple access panel versus drilling out the baggage floor just to buck a couple of rivets in the bracket. I can give you a call and then we can go over it. 

My e-mail is sabremech at gmail.com

Thanks,

David