Transitioning

Derek

Third transition training flight...

12 landings, power off 180.

Gusty enough to balloon up to 4 white from 3 red.

Proud of a few landings, proud of a few go arounds.

Finally got used to saying the tail number.

These are facts.

Another fact... The Mooney is awesome!

• Like 5

Third transition training flight...
12 landings, power off 180.
Gusty enough to balloon up to 4 white from 3 red.
Proud of a few landings, proud of a few go arounds.
Finally got used to saying the tail number.
These are facts.
Another fact... The Mooney is awesome!

Congratulations!
But In what model and what did you come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooney Maturity...

1) you decide to go-around before the second bounce...

2) you feel good about making and executing the decision...

3) nobody faults you for it...

4) Even when it happens in full view of a Mooney fly-in...

5) Everyone knows speed control is important to not bouncing the landing...

6) One CFII has become the Landing Video king... based on putting some engineering insight to energy management into a chart that is easy to absorb by anyone...

Congrats on the Trans... (so much for maturity... :))

Best regards,

-a-

Nice, I just did my transition training last weekend.  2 flights and then a long flight home from Morganton, NC.  I flew on Monday to practice a few landings.  I find I am starting to round out a little bit high probably because I have been flying Pipers for several hundred hours.  

With 6 hours in the M20C, I'm still a fair weather pilot, but I'm looking to get some practice approaches in this week.

• Like 3

Nice Derek. Congratulations.

I only had 40 min of practise so far on a M20J and looking forward to more weather and schedule permitting. I already experienced a prop-strike during the PPL training and therefore never want to force down the nose again. The forever glide is an experience that will take time to get used to.

Edited by edmg_lal

Congrats Derek!

Yes, Mooney's are special planes!  I'm still working on my PPL in my M20S S Eagle and I love to land this thing.  Patience patience patience.  Just let it quit flying and it will be OK!  I have done one go around which made my instructor happy that I made that decision and acted on it.  I just didn't get the speed off.  Just over 100 kts over the numbers.  Went around, nailed the numbers and the landing was butter. 

3 hours ago, cferr59 said:

Nice, I just did my transition training last weekend.  2 flights and then a long flight home from Morganton, NC.  I flew on Monday to practice a few landings.  I find I am starting to round out a little bit high probably because I have been flying Pipers for several hundred hours.  

With 6 hours in the M20C, I'm still a fair weather pilot, but I'm looking to get some practice approaches in this week.

You will love it in real IMC! Too bad the winter will limit opportunities for a while.

24 minutes ago, Mufflerbearing said:

Congrats Derek!

Yes, Mooney's are special planes!  I'm still working on my PPL in my M20S S Eagle and I love to land this thing.  Patience patience patience.  Just let it quit flying and it will be OK!  I have done one go around which made my instructor happy that I made that decision and acted on it.  I just didn't get the speed off.  Just over 100 kts over the numbers.  Went around, nailed the numbers and the landing was butter. 

General rule...for every 1 knot extra you carry over the fence, add 100 feet of runway distance.  As you said, the airplane will tell you when it no longer wants to fly.  Keep enjoying the experience!  :-)

You can fly it on the runway but then you have to deal with all that energy in tires and brakes.  it's better to deal with the energy in the air.   I like to think of landing as a decreasing energy situation.  Before take off enter the runway then sit there and capture the moment.   Then do that again on landing with a little bit of nose up.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

After having today finished my insurance-mandated transition training. I now feel like a Mooney pilot as well as owner.

"I have given Derek ****** 10 hours of dual training in a M20J, covering all areas of proficiency ***undecipherable** for a private pilot. I have determined he is safe and proficient to act as PIC of the M20J. 12/7/19"

-- CFI

IMG_20191207_201751~3.jpg

12/8: Edited to correct date.

• Like 2

Ahhh...the Mooney 'Insurance Sentence'.

I was given 10 hours. I contacted Trey Hughes (MAPAlist) and he hooked me up with a Mooney CFI (Bob) who flew out commercial to KBPT from KSAT. After a short "ground school' we began the flight across Texas. Just an incredible experience that I will never forget. The best single 'moment' was when we landed at Brenham (11R) for lunch at the legendary diner there. As I taxied to the ramp, a Piper that had landed before us had deplaned and the three guys that got out just stared at us. I said to Bob, "Why are they staring at me, was my landing that bad?" He said, "They're not staring at you, they are staring at your Mooney!" One of the last stops was a set of landings at KERR and I could tell The Mistress knew she had returned home. Bob signed me off at KSAT and I returned to KBPT solo in my new ride. Again, one of the best times of my life.

12 hours ago, Derek said:

After having today finished my insurance-mandated transition training. I now feel like a Mooney pilot as well as owner.

"I have given Derek ****** 10 hours of dual training in a M20J, covering all areas of proficiency ***undecipherable** for a private pilot. I have determined he is safe and proficient to act as PIC of the M20J. 12/17/19"

-- CFI

I think that your CFI actually wrote this...."covering all areas of pertinent list for a private pilot" 

I have known a few CFIs that have some pre-printed labels with blanks for the dates and times so that in the future the log is discernable.  Same goes for A&Ps that print their work completed on stickers.  I wish all my past logs were readable.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Derek said:

"I have given Derek ****** 10 hours of dual training in a M20J, covering all areas of proficiency ***undecipherable** for a private pilot. I have determined he is safe and proficient to act as PIC of the M20J. 12/17/19"

-- CFI

I don't have anything like that, just a task list like my primary CFI did on each flight, and of course the Complex Endorsement. 

Derek, congratulations!  I remember when I got my E model 20 years ago and my instructor was practicing with me.  We would climb, cruise, descend and land.  Lots of that.  On our final flight home, I turned to him and said that this is what I had always imagined flying would be like.  A “real” airplane that is.  Having accumulated 350-400 hours at that point I had flown a few aircraft but mostly 172 & 182 time.  I had flown another E model in flight training, and enjoyed it.

Words of wisdom here - it’s better to explain why you went around as opposed to why you didn’t.

Last  year I got into a new Mooney.  There’s a transition to that for certain.

enjoy that 201!

• Like 1

congrats on getting the next license to learn...

+1.... Solo flight, lightly loaded... and a cold day...  :)

performance increase that is both feelable and measurable...

Expand your envelope by adding passengers... one new passenger at a time... no need to load up the plane all at once...

Next steps...

Add 110hp, repeat...

:)

Don’t forget to post a pic of your area of the Mooney World on the Today’s flight Thread...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Congratulations as well!  I too am enjoying the cold dense air and unlimited visibility around here lately.

A tidbit, I had to not only get the FAA complex and HPA endorsements, but also separate VP, RU and T (variable pitch prop, retractable undercarriage, turbocharged) endorsements for my EASA license.  I hope to add (need) one for EFIS (yes, it is required) soon...

Hope to pass 100h TT flying in for the annual soon.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Derek said:

Finally took her up for my first Mooney solo after finishing transition training!

https://vimeo.com/382329943/ad092b727f

Excuse my muttering and mumbling...

Lookin' good!   Enjoy the airplane!

My only suggestion would be to check the yellow arc on your tach, if you have one.   Depending on your engine/prop combination there's a range where torsional vibration in the crankshaft can shake the balance weights loose, which is bad, so there's usually a yellow "avoid this range" band on the tach.   I can't quite tell whether/where you have a yellow arc, but the camera was shaking right when you had the rpm in the usual range.