Anyone know if Aspen plans to incorporate an engine monitor in it's display?

rbridges

One of the things I like about the g3x is that the transponder and engine monitor can be added to the display. I read an old article from 2011 where JPI said something about developing for Aspen's connected panel. Was that just talk or is something the works?

Just now, rbridges said:

One of the things I like about the g3x is that the transponder and engine monitor can be added to the display. I read an old article from 2011 where JPI said something about developing for Aspen's connected panel. Was that just talk or is something the works?

Not exactly on topic but I was told by JPI at KOSH that Garmin tried to buy JPI, a private company, and ever since JPI declined to be acquired Garmin has been playing hard ball. My question was about why I could get engine info from the 930 into the GTN 750 for display and for sharing with Garmin Pilot which would in turn get it to CloudAhoy. While there's a RS 232 connection between the 750 and the 930 and the JPI receives GPS info including ground speed, Garmin won't permit what I'd like and what JPI could provide. I don't know what would be involved technically.

Of course this is JPI point of view. 

Not exactly on topic but I was told by JPI at KOSH that Garmin tried to buy JPI, a private company, and ever since JPI declined to be acquired Garmin has been playing hard ball. My question was about why I could get engine info from the 930 into the GTN 750 for display and for sharing with Garmin Pilot which would in turn get it to CloudAhoy. While there's a RS 232 connection between the 750 and the 930 and the JPI receives GPS info including ground speed, Garmin won't permit what I'd like and what JPI could provide. I don't know what would be involved technically.
Of course this is JPI point of view. 

Good thoughts. All we really need is for the Garmin navigator to pass current time, with position etc. to the JPI for recording its time series and then Garmin data and JPI data could be easily combined by any third part app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

Good thoughts. All we really need is for the Garmin navigator to pass current time, with position etc. to the JPI for recording its time series and then Garmin data and JPI data could be easily combined by any third part app.

JPI does get time, position, and Ground Speed from the GTN. Is there some way to combine that with the flight data that's recorded by G. Pilot which shows in Flight Log and can be uploaded to CloudAhoy and other apps? 

I know they get position, altitude, groundspeed and distance to next waypoint or destination (depending on protocol selected) but didn't know about time. If so, then a third party developers (or anyone) can write software to combine datasets using the common time series to synch - not hard.

I know they get position, altitude, groundspeed and distance to next waypoint or destination (depending on protocol selected) but didn't know about time. If so, then a third party developers (or anyone) can write software to combine datasets using the common time series to synch - not hard.

Paul, I may be wrong, JPI records time but it might not be from GTN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Paul, I may be wrong, JPI records time but it might not be from GTN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, we know JPI has its own clock to record it's time series, but we don't know if the JPI synch its time to Garmin clock which we need to synch up the time series. If it does we could combine the two by keeping the intersection of time values (since they could be sampling at different data rates) which would yield a densely populated  matrix. But for the most part, we already get most of this out of the JPI time series in the later models that has been interfaced to the Garmin since the JPI will include the GPS ground speed, location and altitude. But I believe your original point of interest here was actually for Garmin to get the JPI data so it could be included in the Garmin flight log data. That would take a bit of work for both JPI to provide it in a JPI-Garmin protocol (JPI currently only provides ranging info output (FF and fuel remaining) and for Garmin to integrate it. But short of that, my real point is that as long as JPI synch's it clock to garmin's clock, any third party person could integrate the two data sets into one combined set.

Its on our features wish list to do some of this at Savvy by showing your location on Map while you scroll through the Savvy graphs of engine analyzer data so you can see exactly where you where when the engine was doing something or vice versa. Hopefully someday eventually. 

• Like 2