Getting Parts Going Forward

RonM

Yes.

• Mooney has been out of business many times before... we're still flying them.
  • There are other companies that make Mooney parts, i.e. LASAR.
  • Having Mooney in business doesn't guarantee access to parts from Mooney. There are many parts they haven't produced in years. 
  • The salvage market is alive and well... meet @Alan Fox
  • Many parts for our Mooneys are available off the shelf from places such as Aircraft Spruce.
  • Owner produced parts are a real thing and an approved option.

Mooney might not actually be out of business. This might be just a temporary pause.

I'm not worried...

• Like 3

Agree with Paul... No need to panic or even worry, frankly. On the remote chance you find corrosion in the wing or get some hangar rash, a competent sheet metal mechanic can almost certainly make a repair from raw stock.

Typical wear/consumable items are readily available from non-factory sources.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was with JD at SWTA on Wednesday to pick up my plane after an oil change. He was still able to call Mooney and talk to the parts guy and order parts. Apparently, the "parts guy" (name unknown to me) said, "News of my demise has been greatly exaggerated." It sounded promising to me. Obviously, the major topic of our conversation was the Mooney factory status.

So, this is just hearsay and I don't know what it means long-term but, here is a very weird lizard for your enjoyment.

image.png.a177cc324120b9bd10f8ec5a9538bed5.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RonM said:

Hi Fellow Mooney enthusiasts. So assuming Mooney is out of biz, will I be able to get parts going forward? I have the 1991 M20J / 1997 Missile Conversion. I am happy with the airplane and would like to fly it for many years more. Any comments appreciated.

You will never again be able to get parts of any kind, and your aircraft is now worthless for ought but scrap.  But, being a pleasant fellow I will happily take it off your hands for 20 AMU's, well north of its scrap value.  I know, I'm likley to take a beating on it, but I am a nice guy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here are a couple of examples to cheer you up...

Fewer than 1700 DHC-2 Beavers were built; the last one rolled out in 1968. De Havilland Canada ceased operations in 1992. Yet hundreds of Beavers are still flying with many in commercial service in the US and Canada. Kenmore Air, Sealand, WhipAire and others manufacture PMA and STC parts. Viking Air owns the type and production certificates and also makes parts and currently is building new Twin Otters. If you can find a wreck, you can still get one rebuilt today better than new.

There are still a bunch of North American P-51s flying. Cal Pacific Airmotive owns the type and production certificates and will build any part you need.

With such a large fleet and high parts commonality, someone will step up to fill the void if Mooney can't.

Skip

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Here are a couple of examples to cheer you up...

Fewer than 1700 DHC-2 Beavers were built; the last one rolled out in 1968. De Havilland Canada ceased operations in 1992. Yet hundreds of Beavers are still flying with many in commercial service in the US and Canada. Kenmore Air, Sealand, WhipAire and others manufacture PMA and STC parts. Viking Air owns the type and production certificates and also makes parts and currently is building new Twin Otters. If you can find a wreck, you can still get one rebuilt today better than new.

There are still a bunch of North American P-51s flying. Cal Pacific Airmotive owns the type and production certificates and will build any part you need.

With such a large fleet and high parts commonality, someone will step up to fill the void if Mooney can't.

Skip

Not to mention Comanches, Stinsons, Bellanca Vikings, Swifts, Navions, Commanders, etc., etc.  To coin a phrase, “There Will Be Parts.”

• Like 1