Factory Closure: Impact on Value

G-SLOT

Take a look!  Scroll through them all!  This is an opportunity for a really well managed(hopefully)parts producer.  It also could be an opportunity to make the ultra a kit build of sorts allowing for lighter weight, cheaper to manufacture, better avionics, more engine options, etc etc. I’m hoping for a win win! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Defunct_aircraft_manufacturers_of_the_United_States&pageuntil=Paraplane+International#mw-pages

Jim Price says that LASAR says that they were told by a Mooney manager that the shutdown/furlough is temporary.

GM used to close down plants every year to retool for new models... they, along with many of their vendors, also were closed down for weeks by a labor strike. Perhaps the biggest difference is that GM does a better job communicating to their constituencies.  

I would think that a routine shutdown for retooling would be announced beforehand and addressed publicly as such.  Closing suddenly, precipitously, and secretly does not instill confidence.  Whatever troubles they've had selling Mooneys just got a whole lot worse.

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Jim Price says that LASAR says that they were told by a Mooney manager that the shutdown/furlough is temporary.

It might be true, but it might also be somebody trying to keep others (e.g., LASAR) from filling in to preserve as much value in the factory as possible in the event of a sale.

GM used to close down plants every year to retool for new models... they, along with many of their vendors, also were closed down for weeks by a labor strike. Perhaps the biggest difference is that GM does a better job communicating to their constituencies.  

Bob I wished this were true but I can’t imagine Mooney management would be so inept so as to plan a temporary shutdown for the purposes of retooling without leaving even a simple recorded message in their phone system and therefore allowing the entire industry to speculate and announce their demise. I just don’t believe it. If it were true they should all be fired for negligence to their customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, G-SLOT said:

With the unfortunate news from Kerrville in mind, do you anticipate the value of used Mooneys being affected? Are there concerns about support for the type certificate and availability of parts? Would you buy a used Mooney today?

Yes, but in positive way.  I see the price of used Mooney continuing to rise as long as there is demand for a non SR plane.

4 hours ago, Hector said:

Bob I wished this were true but I can’t imagine Mooney management would be so inept so as to plan a temporary shutdown for the purposes of retooling without leaving even a simple recorded message in their phone system and therefore allowing the entire industry to speculate and announce their demise. I just don’t believe it. If it were true they should all be fired for negligence to their customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very true

Get a feel for the real news...

What is really going on...

Unfortunately, The factory has a tradition of not releasing press releases...

I have bought two Mooneys after separate shutdowns... one cost as much as a fancy car... the other more than a house...

I’d buy a third one tomorrow...

If this is the only point of negotiation... work it the best you can...

Need a list of other negotiating points?

you know there is more to a negotiation than price...

Have you seen the number of people interested in, and actually buying Mooneys lately...

Your competition may be other buyers...

Looks like the shut down is scheduled to be quite temporary... and the number of people staying around is quite large.

buying a used plane takes plenty of effort, and may not be for everyone...

in 20 years, the number of parts I bought through Mooney has been less than a half dozen of which two parts were made by Mooney...  those two parts could have been updated by a local welder...

While wondering about the effect of plant closings and price of machines... have you seen the negotiations to keep automotive plants open lately? It barely makes the news... when it does, it doesn’t last...

A used Mooney can be sold anywhere on the planet, delivered world wide... Most Long bodies and some mid bodies don’t need any alterations, they just fly over the Atlantic... via Greenland, and Iceland...

Plan A: find good Mooney, get PPI, get TT, get insurance... pay attention to ops costs...

Plan B: negotiate deeply, get no extras, wait for the first surprise, see who is there to help...

We have MSers that go either route...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I watched a corporate entity restructuring, a relatively small healthcare group. The amount of secrecy, paranoia, outright lies on all sides was astonishing. Much firepower aimed at own feet. I was doing communications, writing news releases, and the like, and got stares of shocked disbelief when I asked if straightforward truth might serve them better. Everybody seemed so busy whispering, looking over shoulders to see who might be gaining on them, they couldn’t imagine just laying it all out there. As a result, morale was very low, and the mostly-false rumors made things, including patient care, much worse. Sigh. And these suits and bean counters were US. How much more corporate intrigue and circumlocution must there be in a Chinese-run organization, with cultural, political and language differences?

boggle.

• Like 2