Third Aspen panel worth it?

rbridges

I've thought about this a lot as well, but can't come up with a good reason for the third screen either. I talked at length with Brian Lloyd about it also. He has three screens and flew his K around the world. The only reason he could give me was additional redundancy. And I guess if I were over the ocean with another 12 hours to go, the extra redundancy would be comforting. But we already have redundancy between the PFD and MFD panels. And if I lose one of them, I can still get down or get home, so a third doesn't seem to add much for me. 

Also, any data I might have on that screen, is likely already on the GPS (IFD540) screen just another 6" to the right.

I can't see a reason to add the third screen... and our panels aren't super huge with a lot of extra room either.

• Like 1

I'm have had a problem justifying a 2nd Aspen. It doesn't help that Robbie at Twin Lakes Avionics does not think I need it. I realize it would provide reversion backup and allow the removal of the steam ASI, Altimeter... but I kinda like those analog displays. 

15 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I've thought about this a lot as well, but can't come up with a good reason for the third screen either. I talked at length with Brian Lloyd about it also. He has three screens and flew his K around the world. The only reason he could give me was additional redundancy. And I guess if I were over the ocean with another 12 hours to go, the extra redundancy would be comforting. But we already have redundancy between the PFD and MFD panels. And if I lose one of them, I can still get down or get home, so a third doesn't seem to add much for me. 

Also, any data I might have on that screen, is likely already on the GPS (IFD540) screen just another 6" to the right.

I can't see a reason to add the third screen... and our panels aren't super huge with a lot of extra room either.

For another 12 hours to go what you need is a pilot relief tube not another expensive screen. Believe me a pilot relief tube will give you more comfort than that extra screen.B) 

• Like 1

The real benefit for the extra screen is if you have stormscope, active traffic, AOA, and to a lessor degree SV if you like the main pfd to be clutter free. I really like the traffic and stormscope info shown on a dedicated display.  Keeping the third display for those items would allow mainly map use on the 2nd display. The only caution I’ll add is the AOA unlock money is better spent on the 2nd display because you only have to unlock one screen vs two. 

24 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

The real benefit for the extra screen is if you have stormscope, active traffic, AOA, and to a lessor degree SV if you like the main pfd to be clutter free. I really like the traffic and stormscope info shown on a dedicated display.  Keeping the third display for those items would allow mainly map use on the 2nd display. The only caution I’ll add is the AOA unlock money is better spent on the 2nd display because you only have to unlock one screen vs two. 

I don't have the third screen, but my thought process on this is...

SV and the AOA need to be on my PFD. They are both most useful when close to the ground and landing. That's when I'm focused on the PFD and so I want them both there.

Stormscope and traffic are good on the MFD or even on the GPS just a few inches further over. Stormscope, weather, traffic, and map can be distributed as needed between the MFD and the GPS to get the view that works best.

That leaves nothing for the 3rd Aspen.

Just my $0.02

I'm a two screener. I used the MFD on a regular basis. Weather, traffic, TFRs, StormScope are all displayed on the MFD and it is extremely useful. As for the third screen, it is only a EFD 500 version. It does not have an AHRS or can be used in reversion mode. If you are using the Aspen charts, I think it makes sense to have one. Otherwise, having it on the iPad make more sense.

But, for those single screen people, GET THE SECOND ASPEN! I think you will find how useful it is.

60b7d1b374584934ae3a775c54ae65bd.jpg4662471f6b8c96e6c13ca16aa6d297d5.jpgf4de7d9a88ed6f8c6df8d4ea4f7aab8e.jpg13d63902dd85687c4230eebb52cac7ed.jpg26007c7349d4841f31f38278e9a91e91.jpg47c80339ef0c2c12aea04507b6fc2577.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

But, for those single screen people, GET THE SECOND ASPEN! I think you will find how useful it is.

Yep, I already own it. It's still sitting on the shelf at the avionics shop. The plan is as soon as my number comes up for the Max upgrade, both the MFD and the PFD that's in my airplane, will both go in for the upgrade. On the return, we'll install the MFD.

• Like 1

I had 1 screen in my J and 3 in my Encore. I was only going to get 2 in the Encore, but Aspen had a great deal at the time, basically buy 2, get 1 free, and all the unlocks as a bonus. On the third unit I display terrain map, AOA, and Traffic. During an approach I will have the plate up on the third unit. But I also have the plate up on the iPad. I use the iPad as primary and the Aspen as the secondary for the plate. 

I think the third screen is nice but not necessary. It gives some extra redundancy. But if everything is working then it just duplicates info available elsewhere.  I agree that you really want the 2nd screen. 

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

I'm a two screener. I used the MFD on a regular basis. Weather, traffic, TFRs, StormScope are all displayed on the MFD and it is extremely useful. As for the third screen, it is only a EFD 500 version. It does not have an AHRS or can be used in reversion mode. If you are using the Aspen charts, I think it makes sense to have one. Otherwise, having it on the iPad make more sense.

Since I have a GTN 750 and a stand alone WX900 rather than a WX500. I agree that decluttering is good. I also have a 696 portable and an IPad running GPilot. 

While Chris uses the 2nd the Aspen screen for "weather, traffic, TFRs, stormscope", with my setup, weather info is on the 750, the 696, and the IPad. Traffic is on the PFD, the 750, and the IPad,  TFRs are on the 750, the 696(?), and the IPad(?), and the WX 900 Stormscope has its own display.   

• Like 1