Man this hurts !!

Really sorry to hear of this. Been there, done that, it hurts but it does get better with time, 

The memories linger long after the hurt goes away.

I've got 3 good friends all in chemo right now. The clock is ticking on each of them. 

Its part of life, but a hard part. 

• Like 1

I went out to the chapter hangar project Tuesday afternoon pulling forms  and removing Styrofoam off the last pour before a major winter system moved in Tuesday night.   Had to use the backhoe Steve and his dad owned for 30+ years that we became partners  on a couple years ago when spun main bearings rendered the repair worth more than the machine ( I covered labor, he covered parts).   Realized during the project, by myself, that the last time we saw each other it was working on the hangar project and using the backhoe.   Made the afternoon pretty surreal.  

It will take years to find a friend I feel the same way about as I did Steve.  Makes Thanksgiving a bit of a challenge.  Guess maybe I should be thankful for a wife, one month short of 45 years, making a truly concerted effort of filling the void Steve left in my life.  She gave her relaxing evening up in front of the TV to bundle up in winter clothes and help me, under lights and  brisk cold winds, remove, stack and secure the Styrofoam on a trailer to bring home for the winter   

Tom

• Like 3

Tom, Thank you for sharing such wonderful memories of your friendship with us. Not many people in life are blessed to have such a friend.  You have our heartfelt condolences and prayers.  Honor Steve by keeping his great memories alive! It sounds like he touched so many lives in his time here. That's all most of us could ever hope to do.  Blessings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We had my family Christmas gathering this past Saturday down in Green Bay, the central location.  Two of our children live there, with the last one living in Madison and my wife and I in the U.P.  We did gift exchanges and my daughter and son-in-law insisted I open one gift last.  It looked like a framed picture, so I suspected they had gotten a signed Packer player photo as they have done that in the past.  My daughter got her camera phone out as I was unwrapping it and I'm thinking "what's up"?  Then I see this photo of Steve and me flying in my plane ..... a photo I only recently knew existed.  It was taken by his son when I took Steve, his son and his grandson for a flight when he was home from Finland about a year and a half ago.

A bit of an emotional moment, but I'm excited to hang it in my office or at the hangar.

Tom

Steve & I in 4PT 2 .jpg

• Like 10

I'm getting just a little bit emotional seeing that picture myself. And I never had the pleasure of knowing Steve. 

Tom, you should take comfort in the fact that Steve had a very wonderful life, and not the least of which was having you for a best friend.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...