Garmin vs Jeppesen Nav Data

I have a GNS430W and currently use Jepp nav data.  For the last 2 updates, the update has failed if I use the latest Jepp JDM application.  After doing some problem determination, I can successfully load the navdata using an old version of the JDM.  I think it's because I have the silver (old) navdata card as opposed to the orange label (new) data card.  It's going to cost me a couple hundred bucks just to buy an orange label card.  Additionally, the obstacle db is outdated.  It might be time to move to Garmin... less expensive too

Speculation abounds on Al Gores interweb, so I'm asking if anyone has personal experience with the same setup as I have, and moved to the Garmin nav package.

Specifically, can I use my existing nav and terrain data cards moving to Garmin, and does the single programmer work for both navdata and terrain?

I used Garmin last year for my dual WAAS subscription with silver label cards. It works fine, but you need to buy the Garmin programmer hardware as the Jepp version does not work. Their programmer handles the terrain card too.

I switched back to Jepp this year at OSH to get a show discount.

Both are far overpriced for simply passing along government data IMO...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Specifically, can I use my existing nav and terrain data cards moving to Garmin, and does the single programmer work for both navdata and terrain?

Yes and Yes.  I just moved from Jepp to Garmin.  Everything works fine. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

I have a GNS430W and currently use Jepp nav data.  For the last 2 updates, the update has failed if I use the latest Jepp JDM application.  After doing some problem determination, I can successfully load the navdata using an old version of the JDM.  I think it's because I have the silver (old) navdata card as opposed to the orange label (new) data card.  It's going to cost me a couple hundred bucks just to buy an orange label card.  Additionally, the obstacle db is outdated.  It might be time to move to Garmin... less expensive too

Speculation abounds on Al Gores interweb, so I'm asking if anyone has personal experience with the same setup as I have, and moved to the Garmin nav package.

I've been using JDM for a few years now with multiple cards on different versions of JDM and never had an issue.