Replacement Landing and Taxi Lights for M20R

TGreen

Jobs a knuckle buster.Recomend take old socks and cut in two.Slide on over wrists to prevent cuts and knocks.Held in place by odd size Allen 5/64??If you have Fiki tks .the supply tube partially blocks upper outboard screw.90 degree ratchet handle with 6 in extension turns it to just a couple hours a light.I did all 4....ouch..ps you will need a creeper that adjusts and gives back support in sitting position

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2019 at 9:26 AM, TGreen said:

Need to replace a taxi light on my Ovation2. Maybe it's time to upgrade landing lights as well. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Id go whelen or aeroled. Aeroled costs more but is brighter. When switching them make sure you take the plate behind the lights off. The first time i did it, i took off the clear lens. First light takes about 30 to 45 minutes. Once youve done it once, it takes about 20 minutes after that for each one.

• Like 2

I just switched out my Whelen's for AEROLED's and I am very impressed so I just got an account with them and started selling their lights last week.  AeroLED's are the brightest lights you will get unless you go HID.

Check out the different PAR36 versions here:

https://aeroleds.com/sunspot36-series-certified/

The LX lights are $345 and the SUPER bright 43xx series are $640, I haven't put them on my site yet but shoot me a PM or email and I can get you details.  They are expensive but considering they are the last lights you will ever buy and are super bright I was sold and bought 4 for my 310.  

25 minutes ago, Jeev said:

I just switched out my Whelen's for AEROLED's and I am very impressed so I just got an account with them and started selling their lights last week.  AeroLED's are the brightest lights you will get unless you go HID.

Check out the different PAR36 versions here:

https://aeroleds.com/sunspot36-series-certified/

The LX lights are $345 and the SUPER bright 43xx series are $640, I haven't put them on my site yet but shoot me a PM or email and I can get you details.  They are expensive but considering they are the last lights you will ever buy and are super bright I was sold and bought 4 for my 310.  

Two years ago while at Oshkosh I was trying to decided which LED lights to get.  Whelen didn't treat me well at all when I was at their booth and were very condescending.  I went by the AeroLED booth where they compared the GE 4596 with their 4596.  There was NO comparison so I bought a couple of their 4596 landing lights and a couple of their 4597 taxi lights.  The landing lights are just unbelievable, but the taxi lights do what they are supposed to and give a wider but not so extended beam.  If I had it to do all over again I would buy all AeroLED landing lights and skip the taxi lights. There were no GE 4597 in the taxi slots originally.  They were all 4596.

7 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Two years ago while at Oshkosh I was trying to decided which LED lights to get.  Whelen didn't treat me well at all when I was at their booth and were very condescending.  I went by the AeroLED booth where they compared the GE 4596 with their 4596.  There was NO comparison so I bought a couple of their 4596 landing lights and a couple of their 4597 taxi lights.  The landing lights are just unbelievable, but the taxi lights do what they are supposed to and give a wider but not so extended beam.  If I had it to do all over again I would buy all AeroLED landing lights and skip the taxi lights. There were no GE 4597 in the taxi slots originally.  They were all 4596.

I am completely impressed with AEROLED's as a company and the the people I have dealt with.  Nice, professional and passionate about their products.  They are made in the USA and the attention to detail even in their packaging is impressive, I look forward to promoting their products.  I agree with Don in that the taxi lights have a very diffused beam but that is what they are designed to do.  With the being said the taxi light is still VERY bright.

9 hours ago, KB4 said:

I put in a Whelen LED landing/Taxi few years ago, and it's already outdated, by brighter and better.

Spend as little as possible on new LED's, the technology is changing so quickly, that what is the best now, is only mediocre in 2 years.  

I see your POV but respectfully disagree.  There is a significant difference between the cheap Amazon tractor lights, the entry level Whelens / AEROLED’s and the top of the line AEROLED’s.  I would say buy the best light you can afford now and stick with it.  The current mid to top of the line LED’s are so much better than incandescent and more than adequate for GA applications.  If you have Whelens or better, you are happy or don’t fly a lot at night stick with the LED’s you have.  If you still have incandescent buy the best now and leave it alone, enjoy the fact that this will most likely be the last light you will buy for the aircraft.    

Here is a link to buy AEROLED’s

:-) :https://wolfaviationsales.com/shop?olsPage=t%2Fleds

I recently replaced the GE4509 incandescent landing lights in my M20K with a Rigid Industries 63010 ($65 from Amazon) and an AeroLED Sunspot 36 LX 01-1030-L-A ($350 from Aircraft Spruce). Both are PAR36 replacements and fit perfectly. The AeroLED is brighter by just the slightest amount, but I'm not sure it's worth 5x the cost. The beam angles are nearly identical. Both are much brighter than the Whelens from a few years ago.

If I were to do it over, I'd just get two of the Rigid lamps; IMO there's not a $570 difference. Rigid is a reputable maker and higher quality than generic PAR36 tractor light LEDs.

Edited by louisut
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 1:16 PM, MIm20c said:

I purchased a couple NOS led’s from BT. Planning on replacing one of the taxi lights with the led and leaving it on all the time. Not sure if I’m going to replace the other one or not. The model I bought was the parmetheus plus 36 (landing not taxi). 

Leave mine on startup to shut down-- From a "be seen" perspective its a great improvement to always have it on.

• 7 months later...

I’ve seen posts regarding the legality of putting “tractor” LEDs or other non original landing/taxi lights in certified aircraft, but most seem to be at least a few years old.  Does anyone have anything new to share that might point someone in the right direction?  Maybe a new AC or legal opinion from the FAA...

The original tractor lights were GE incandescent PAR 36 bulbs. Then aircraft manufacturers began to use them. The GE lights most people have in their airplanes now aren't certified aircraft lights, just the right size. Most "enlightened" IAs couldn't care less if you as the owner replace your incandescent tractor lights with much better, longer lasting LED tractor lights. Much more unsafe to come in at night and go to turn on the switch and find out that your 25 hour GE bulb is burned out.

21 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The original tractor lights were GE incandescent PAR 36 bulbs. Then aircraft manufacturers began to use them. The GE lights most people have in their airplanes now aren't certified aircraft lights, just the right size. Most "enlightened" IAs couldn't care less if you as the owner replace your incandescent tractor lights with much better, longer lasting LED tractor lights. Much more unsafe to come in at night and go to turn on the switch and find out that your 25 hour GE bulb is burned out.

What about the un enlightened IAs?  Anything that can be shown to them?  I know one guy who makes owners take the LEDs out of their planes before he will sign off an annual.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:30 PM, Niko182 said:

Id go whelen or aeroled. Aeroled costs more but is brighter. When switching them make sure you take the plate behind the lights off. The first time i did it, i took off the clear lens. First light takes about 30 to 45 minutes. Once youve done it once, it takes about 20 minutes after that for each one.

I just started removing my first-gen Whelen Parmetheus to make way for the latest Parmetheus Pro.  Did a brief test in my hangar before heading to the avionics shop, and can say that they’re over twice as bright as the first gen Parmetheus.  A few pics below...before, after removal, and after.

FB8E4A09-4214-453F-8AC5-BC474BB53225.jpeg

B35A0EA0-C30D-4703-8334-6EB6E6DBD301.jpeg

7D6EAC29-DAF8-4DCD-9A63-274FE3AE0E91.jpeg

• Like 2