Intermittent Rough Running Engine on Climb

DRJ78

12 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I would use Vy or Vx as appropriate until at a safe altitude, then accelerate to your chosen cruise climb speed.  Mine is 120mph.

Same here.  Weird thing is I swear I get just as good climb at 120 as I do at 100 or 105 (down low). 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Same here.  Weird thing is I swear I get just as good climb at 120 as I do at 100 or 105 (down low). 

My guess is that is for a variety of reasons.

1.  The drag curve is pretty flat around Vy so small changes in speed make little difference in power required.

2.  As your speed picks up I suspect that the propeller becomes more efficient which offsets any increase in drag.

3.  I've found that if I keep my speed above 100 KIAS (in my J) that I only need trailing cowl flaps, not fully opened cowl flaps, which actually reduces my drag.

Therefore, I climb at 100 KIAS to 1000 AGL then accelerate to 110 - 120 KIAS depending on terrain and airspace requirements.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2019 at 10:17 AM, gsxrpilot said:

What @Oldguy said. Go to Morgantown, NC.

Paul, thanks for the recommendation, I hope to meet @DRJ78 when he comes to @AGL Aviation. Thanks to you and several other MS friends, Lynn and Tamara are helping a lot of old and new Mooney owners. I meet 1st time customers every week.

As you probably know, in NC it's Morganton. In WV it's Morgantown. Morgantown is the home of West Virginia University and is a larger small city than Morganton (31,000 to 17,000) though our county and the metro statistical area is larger than Morgantown's (365,000 to 130,000).

AGL is at KMRN, a really nice airport with a 5,500' runway with good, clear instrument approaches and a very helpful FBO. It is the closest airport to the NC mountain areas of Boone, Blowing Rock, the summer retreats, and the ski areas that is large enough for business jets.

• Like 1