Saw the Garmin g3x. Wow

rbridges

Advice... stay out of avionics shops until the kids graduate from school...   :)

I got a tour of Jesse Saint’s shop and saw some really bright, large, HD, color screens...

It probably was the Dynon offering...

Tons of detailed information... easily adsorbed using ordinary scanning skills...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Picked up my Mooney with the Aspen MAX upgrade. I was shown a mooney getting complete Garmin upgrade.  Looks great. I still think Aspen was best for my situation, but I can't get over how nice the g3x looks.  I love the large screen. 

And the G3x is the old tech screens... have you seen the nxi screens?  Almost makes you want to spend $20 or $30k!

19 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

And the G3x is the old tech screens... have you seen the nxi screens?  Almost makes you want to spend $20 or $30k!

I have seen the G500/600 Txi screen powered up and the clarity is brilliant to say the least.  I'm sure it is mostly touch screen which could make it difficult in turbulence.  This problem does not exist with the G3X.

One of the features I like about my IFD's is the choice of button usage when in turbulence vs the GTN navigators. 

Edited by Mooney in Oz
Nxi changed to Txi.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

I have seen the Nxi screen powered up and the clarity is brilliant to say the least, however and I stand to be corrected here, I'm sure it is mostly touch screen which could make it difficult in turbulence.  This problem does not exist with the G3X.

One of the features I like about my IFD's is the choice of button usage when in turbulence vs the GTN navigators. 

True and the same goes for the Dynon as well

• Like 1

I worried about touch devices in turbulence when I first got my GTNs but quickly found it wasn't a real problem, just took about 10 mins to learn how to work in turbulence.  I was worried again when I got my TXi given the screen size, you can't brace you hand as easily but again after just a few minutes, it really isn't a problem for me.

5 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

I have seen the Nxi screen powered up and the clarity is brilliant to say the least, however and I stand to be corrected here, I'm sure it is mostly touch screen which could make it difficult in turbulence.  This problem does not exist with the G3X.

The NXI G1000 isnt a touch screen

• Thanks 1

Just brought this home two weeks ago.  Magical

Nice!
This shows the downside of touch screens, they get dirty.
I would add Flightstream if you don’t have one already, and use the iPad for traffic display or go split screen since you already have the map on the g3x plus reaching over to work the iPad must be awkward.

Tom

We did the dual G3X touch install with the GFC500 recently & very happy with it. After de-cluttering the displays to eliminate some of the less useful information (pathways etc) I've found it easy to fly with. Even with the recessed mounting, turbulence isn't much of an issue.

IMG_8622.jpeg

IMG_8668.jpeg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Harry Wightman said:

We did the dual G3X touch install with the GFC500 recently & very happy with it. After de-cluttering the displays to eliminate some of the less useful information (pathways etc) I've found it easy to fly with. Even with the recessed mounting, turbulence isn't much of an issue.

What a beautiful installation.  You kept the KX 155 with its gas discharge tube?  Since you have a long body, I have 2 questions about the GFC 500.  When  you do heading changes of 90° where the bank angle goes to 30° do you get any oscillations?  Also, on approach, does the plane fly on rails, or do you get some slow oscillation in pitch.  One Ovation here in the states does, as does my airplane, an M20M, and I'm trying to see if this is common  to all long bodies.  There aren't enough done yet to determine a pattern.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:31 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

I have seen the G500/600 Txi screen powered up and the clarity is brilliant to say the least.  I'm sure it is mostly touch screen which could make it difficult in turbulence.  This problem does not exist with the G3X.

With the installation of the GCU 485 almost everything can be done with knobs.  After having the G500TXi for 8 months I put one in, not for turbulence, but to prevent the annoying right hand crossing over to make changes.  While I could have corrected that problem by interchanging the MFD with PFD on the screen, that arrangement was even more annoying.  So the GCU485 solved both issues.  In turbulence I have still found it a little bit of an issue to set minimums, which can only be done on the screen.  It usually takes me a couple of tries.  With the GFC 500 the GCU 485 really isn't needed, since most of the functions it does can be done with the GFC 500.  The one exception is setting the BARO, which is done a lot, so I'm glad I still have it.

Updated Panel for N9148W.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, donkaye said:

What a beautiful installation.  You kept the KX 155 with its gas discharge tube?  Since you have a long body, I have 2 questions about the GFC 500.  When  you do heading changes of 90° where the bank angle goes to 30° do you get any oscillations?  Also, on approach, does the plane fly on rails, or do you get some slow oscillation in pitch.  One Ovation here in the states does, as does my airplane, an M20M, and I'm trying to see if this is common  to all long bodies.  There aren't enough done yet to determine a pattern.

The KX 155 will be replaced when I can make a decision on whether a second GPS or NAV/ ILS capability is more important to me (a 650 would be overkill). I've yet to fly an approach in calm enough conditions to make an assessment Don. It is highly accurate & at times aggressive on approach. I have noted the 'pitch trim' message annunciated in 30 degree AoB reversal turns a few times although it is only fleeting. I'll report further.

Don...FWIW with only a few trials so far I've found the IAS vertical mode to be pretty squirrelly. If a big IAS change is entered after engagement it pitches very aggressively  to make the airspeed correction and then porpoises while it hunts for the airspeed.  Unusable as is.  May be an install problem..may be the thing doesn't have great pitch damping in the control equations  yet.

I flew an LPV approach into KMIE yesterday.  Rock solid in pitch until late in the game...I think I saw a whisper of pitch oscillation as the GP got skinny...but only one data point there, and mine's  a mid body Rocket

40 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

It does look amazing.  I personally am waiting till the market settles and the competitors settle as to who is king,  who is king with the most open architecture etc.   

IMO, it looks like Garmin is going to be the bully in the sandbox, but I don't think open architecture is in their vocabulary.

5 hours ago, PJClark said:

Don...FWIW with only a few trials so far I've found the IAS vertical mode to be pretty squirrelly.

That has been my experience as well. Given its intended use (climb & descent only) there is no need for slavish adherence to the commanded speed- if we had it coupled to autothrust on an approach a high level of accuracy would be required, but not here. VS is quite comfortable.

17 hours ago, rbridges said:

IMO, it looks like Garmin is going to be the bully in the sandbox, but I don't think open architecture is in their vocabulary.

Why say something like that?  There are choices out there.  If I'm designing a product,  I'm going to design it around my other products.  Why should I try to help the competition?  Where it makes sense, like the Stormscope interface, yes, and maybe even an autopilot interface.  From my perspective Garmin makes really good products that all work well together.  I'm hearing nothing on MS or BeechTalk but problems people are having with the new Aspen Max both in getting it and the after market display issues.  I'm still glad that where it counts I have Garmin.

• Like 1