Future of Mooney: Speculation thread

toto

3 hours ago, Cargil48 said:

Remember me quoting some who say the Mooneys "sit too low"? Here is a good pic showing what they mean. 

Mooney low.jpg

Not all models have this affliction.  Mostly confined to the longer bodies.  This is mine.  Just sitting.  Looking like it is ready to jump into the air.100_0453.thumb.JPG.de22232d6a3d762ec15a3627526250e1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

Not all models have this affliction.  Mostly confined to the longer bodies.  This is mine.  Just sitting.  Looking like it is ready to jump into the air.100_0453.thumb.JPG.de22232d6a3d762ec15a3627526250e1.JPG

Ah... Did they shorten the legs of the MLG on the newer models?? Maybe to give more prop clearence on  the higher hp engined ones?

5 hours ago, kpaul said:

I wish I had a photo of it, but at OSH '16 I believe it was, Mooney put the plan in their booth on blocks.  They jacked up the plane and had custom made risers for the mains so the plane sat level.

Of course it helps a lot to get airborne if a plane has this AoA when running down the runway for t/o... You may not even need to lower the flaps...

8 hours ago, Cargil48 said:

Remember me quoting some who say the Mooneys "sit too low"? Here is a good pic showing what they mean. 

Mooney low.jpg

With all due respect to long body owners around here, I've felt this way for years.  It's not that they sit too low, it's that the tail low on the ground makes it look weird, like I wouldn't spend $800k for a weird looking airplane.  Like, "don't touch the tail, you might make it tip over" weird.

Flight performance is phenomenal, of course.  And I really do love all Mooneys.  But I'd still pick a 252/Encore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

With all due respect to long body owners around here, I've felt this way for years.  It's not that they sit too low, it's that the tail low on the ground makes it look weird, like I wouldn't spend $800k for a weird looking airplane.  Like, "don't touch the tail, you might make it tip over" weird.

Flight performance is phenomenal, of course.  And I really do love all Mooneys.  But I'd still pick a 252/Encore.

You are hereby fired from MS....... continued BLASPHEMY!!  (kidding and laughing of course I am). :lol:

That photo is unflattering indeed,?sitting on the grass and at that angle.

I find beauty in all Mooney models.  :)

8 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

You are hereby fired from MS....... continued BLASPHEMY!!  (kidding and laughing of course I am). :lol:

That photo is unflattering indeed,?sitting on the grass and at that angle.

I find beauty in all Mooney models.  :)

It is blasphemy, I know!  I had a hard time typing it, especially because I've always wanted an Ovation.  But a friend had a 2008 Ovation 3 that was awesome- but every time I stepped on his step to get in, I felt like I'd put the airplane on its tail.  There's a reason the factory display at OSH had it up on blocks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Andy95W said:

That must be why Mooney puts them on blocks at SnF and Oshkosh.

Clarence

6 hours ago, Cargil48 said:

Ah... Did they shorten the legs of the MLG on the newer models?? Maybe to give more prop clearence on  the higher hp engined ones?

It might be the extra 800 pounds on the same four landing gear discs.

Clarence

Speaking of AOA...

The long body has an attitude about twice that of the mid and short body Mooneys...

not that kind of attitude...  :)

The kind that shows up on the AI... 6 vs. 3° (?) While sitting on the pavement...

There were a few things changed with the gear when the Bravo was built... they were built a bit more stout compared to the first LB M20L...  

It is quite possible some lengths were changed as well...?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1