Gear Pucks New old stock 380.00

Alan Fox

Old style...

firestone(?)

number of donuts per stack was different... probably five vs. four...

Most have been changed out over the years... to the post 64 standard... the swap included some additional parts to go with the donuts...

Kind of minimalist detail, but probably enough to know what version you have...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

Old style...

firestone(?)

number of donuts per stack was different... probably five vs. four...

Most have been changed out over the years... to the post 64 standard... the swap included some additional parts to go with the donuts...

Kind of minimalist detail, but probably enough to know what version you have...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Yep, Mooney offered a kit to swap over to the Lord disk but it was like $7k or so. Called Dan at LASAR and he put together a kit that was a third of that. The original disks were harder than Chinese arithmatic but they still passed the test laid out in the service manual 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Yep, Mooney offered a kit to swap over to the Lord disk but it was like $7k or so. Called Dan at LASAR and he put together a kit that was a third of that. The original disks were harder than Chinese arithmatic but they still passed the test laid out in the service manual 

I sell the parts to swap out without the shock discs , for 1000 ,  I still sell a few a year

11 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

They do.…   All Mooney aircraft post 1964

I own a 1965 M20E Ser # 748, and the original pucks were Firestone (5 on the main gears vs 4 for for the newer style). I had them replaced last year.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

Because its not , But wait , it is , it says M20.....

Alan, that comes off as a bit smart alecky. No need for that. :unsure: I'm just asking--with almost all other models specified--why is the C (or D for that matter) not listed? If it fits all, why not just say:

M20 ALL

Less confusion that way, agreed?

In other words, if they fit all, why bother listing any specific models? (Rhetorical question as I know you didn't produce them. Hopefully you can see why I was confused)

7 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Alan, that comes off as a bit smart alecky. No need for that. :unsure: I'm just asking--with almost all other models specified--why is the C (or D for that matter) not listed? If it fits all, why not just say:

M20 ALL

Less confusion that way, agreed?

In other words, if they fit all, why bother listing any specific models? (Rhetorical question as I know you didn't produce them. Hopefully you can see why I was confused)

This seems to happen a lot in the PMA world.  I’ve gone through it a few times on my products.  Most of the burden of applicability is on the PMA holder.  It can be quite difficult to get all the data points at the time of application, and models are often left off as a result.  You will see this on many PMA products.  Not speaking for Alan or Lord, but since Lord is the only one making these, I think it’s the only game in town.  In my opinion, you would be installing a PMA part intended for other, near identical airframes, with identical gear, so it would be applicable by similarity.  In FAA terms, it might be considered a minor alteration.

• Thanks 1

Here you go.  This has the C added to it.  Keep in mind, earlier aircraft had Firestone discs, so to get to these discs, another Ramos is involved, so mechanic judgement.  I think Alan was actually right, I think “M20” could actually be considered generic.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgpma.nsf/0/F615D09E4A38C2828525704500634E52?OpenDocument

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional information. 

"Mooney Aircraft (M20 (S/N 3185C and on) M20E (S/N 832E and on M20F (S/N 670001F and on M20G, M20J, M20K, M20L, M20M, M20R)"

Here, they are called out by serial number, implying not all. Furthermore, adding to my confusion is the format. Is 3185 a C model serial number? My serial number would fall in the range for an F, but is a C...:wacko:

At least I can now see the source of the doublespeak: the feds. So there it is. Clear as mud.

Again,  thanks to all. 

2 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Thanks for the additional information. 

"Mooney Aircraft (M20 (S/N 3185C and on) M20E (S/N 832E and on M20F (S/N 670001F and on M20G, M20J, M20K, M20L, M20M, M20R)"

Here, they are called out by serial number, implying not all. Furthermore, adding to my confusion is the format. Is 3185 a C model serial number? My serial number would fall in the range for an F, but is a C...:wacko:

At least I can now see the source of the doublespeak: the feds. So there it is. Clear as mud.

Again,  thanks to all. 

Ultimately it would be up to the PMA holder.  The FAA simply validates via some high level checks.  Since RAPCO dropped the pucks, these are the only ones available.  I suppose one could always call Lord to encourage them....

Serial numbers in the 60s were in such transition... the 3,000s were everything the company was building at the time...

It probably was the 70s when serial numbers got a method to separate out the models from each other...

Airplane manufacturers were early adopters for serial numbers, when compared to other machine builders...

Serialization has become a science as computing power has evolved... 

Block chain is the latest piece of technology allowing tracking and tracing of small items from manufacturing to the end user and beyond...

So...

If you have a serial number, and want to know if it is a C or E model... the FAA website may give the answer...

Somewhere around here is a list of the prefixes for all semi-modern(?) Mooney aircraft... by model...

Since there are so few options for rubber donuts... there is only one style manufactured in the new millennium...

I don’t recall what killed the Firestone’s... other than they just stopped manufacturing them... thus causing the mass conversion over the years...

The original donuts on the Mooney Mite were reported to be engine mounts for a Mack truck of the day... try finding those... :)

Best regards,

-a-